Why are women depressed?

I stink at bass

• Members

The gal I was previously dating was a nightmare. She spent 99% of her waking hours either depressed or pissed off. She was one of the most miserable people I've ever met or dated, and I am glad she's a part of my past. I don't get it at all. I thought by being with her I could make her happy and optimistic. Instead her cynicism and negativity just ended up dragging me down. {censored} that. I'd rather be alone.

I've seen this a lot. I know as dudes we have our quirks and issues, but I have no idea why there are so many women with serious mental and emotional issues nowadays.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously, guys.

It's not a new phenomenon. Depression for people has been consistent for years. In the 50's it was Valium earlier it was opium variants they were prescribed.

I think the depression levels are about the same. We have a genetic predisposition to be more depressive because of the whole Estrogen thing, but as for having a crappy life, I think things are straight across the board.

Men are neither the cause or the solution to a woman's depression.

Sometimes it's chemical, sometimes people just choose to be depressed. There are a lot of crappy things that can happen to a person, of that I wont disagree. You can choose to let it get you down, or you can move on.

Depression is addictive, it's familiar, you can trust it. Sometimes the bottom is the most comfortable place to be and people choose to stay there. Dont let it get y'all down.

• Members

I went through a very depressed phase from age 21-23 or so. I guess I eventually started to realize that my life wasn't that bad. I think about the homeless people or people who live in a really {censored}ed up country (more than one African nation comes to mind) where they must fear for their lives on a daily basis. Kind of puts things in perspective.

Some people have lives that are so bad it warrants being depressed. I suppose other people can pull the "chemical imbalance in my brain" card.

• Members

I went through a very depressed phase from age 21-23 or so. I guess I eventually started to realize that my life wasn't that bad.

As did I, and I eventually worked to put it behind me, and I feel 1000 times better now, life is good and I try to be as optimistic as I can, even if only to not bring myself or those around me down.

I'm sympathetic to depression having had a real legitimate problem with it myself, but at the same time, I no longer feel the need to be someone else's victim, or worse, punching bag anymore. I recently broke up with someone and her attitude (constantly a downer, angry, depressed) just wore me down and started making me bitter, so I made the move and left her and it behind. Here's hoping I can find someone with a little more optimism and even better, life goals.

• Members
Seriously, guys.

It's not a new phenomenon. Depression for people has been consistent for years. In the 50's it was Valium earlier it was opium variants they were prescribed.

I think the depression levels are about the same. We have a genetic predisposition to be more depressive because of the whole Estrogen thing, but as for having a crappy life, I think things are straight across the board.

Men are neither the cause or the solution to a woman's depression.

Sometimes it's chemical, sometimes people just choose to be depressed. There are a lot of crappy things that can happen to a person, of that I wont disagree. You can choose to let it get you down, or you can move on.

Depression is addictive, it's familiar, you can trust it. Sometimes the bottom is the most comfortable place to be and people choose to stay there. Dont let it get y'all down.

Very well put! Marry me :love::lol:

• Members

They aren't anti-depressants. Don't call them that because it stigmatizes the women who take them.

They are happy pills. :thu:

I think it's a coping thing. Some people cope with real life than others. Reality can really suck sometimes and there's no mistaking that. But, I believe some of us are not taught the proper coping mechanisms.

Suck it up all you cupcakes.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Members
Women are:

1. Viewed by a lot of men as a life support system for {censored}.

2. Don't get equal pay or equal respect but are expected to keep the house clean and look damn good while they're doing it.

3. Live in a society dominated by people run by their dumb sticks.

See, this is where you and I have to respectfully agree to disagree, bro'. ;)

I see a lot of women who get equal pay for their jobs. In fact, at my last job, it was pretty much run by females-most of the management were women, and you can damn sure bet they made just as much as the few guys who were in the same positions they were. The harassment there was pretty reversed, too. Women can be jerks just like guys. Trust me on this.

I've had/have several friends who respected their women almost too much and got treated like {censored} by them for it.

Not every dude thinks with his dick, Al. Come on, dude. Some of us actually think with our hearts and our minds and we've paid for doing the right thing when it comes to women. No good deed goes unpunished.

There seems to be a mentallity nowadays (maybe outside of this forum, anyway;)) that anything that can or will go wrong in a relationship is the man's fault and he should just apologize profusely for whatever "mommy" is pissed off about today and I just don't buy it. At all.

I know there are some really GREAT women out there, and by no means would I bash the gender for the ones that are {censored}ed up, but there does seem to be (and I've even heard other women say this) an alarming number of completely emotionally screwy bitches out there. I must have dated at least half of them here in Jax, which would make me a complete dumbass. :D;)

• Members
See, this is where you and I have to respectfully agree to disagree, bro'.
;)

I see a lot of women who get equal pay for their jobs. In fact, at my last job, it was pretty much run by females-most of the management were women, and you can damn sure bet they made just as much as the few guys who were in the same positions they were. The harassment there was pretty reversed, too. Women can be jerks just like guys. Trust me on this.

I've had/have several friends who respected their women almost too much and got treated like {censored} by them for it.

Not every dude thinks with his dick, Al. Come on, dude. Some of us actually think with our hearts and our minds and we've paid for doing the right thing when it comes to women. No good deed goes unpunished.

There seems to be a mentallity nowadays (maybe outside of this forum, anyway;)) that anything that can or will go wrong in a relationship is the man's fault and he should just apologize profusely for whatever "mommy" is pissed off about today and I just don't buy it. At all.

I know there are some really GREAT women out there, and by no means would I bash the gender for the ones that are {censored}ed up, but there does seem to be (and I've even heard other women say this) an alarming number of completely emotionally screwy bitches out there. I must have dated at least half of them here in Jax, which would make me a complete dumbass.
:D;)

Might be true in your company but it's far from true nationwide. Census bureau says that in 2002-2003 (latest numbers they have) women made 75.5 cents for every dollar a man earned.

It's not possible to "respect a woman too much", any more than it's possible to respect anybody else too much. If your friends are dating dysfunctional women then perhaps they need to start paying attention instead of thinking with their dumb stick - which is pretty much what I said above :D

I think {censored}ed-up people are probably pretty evenly distributed across all three genders ;)

• Members
Might be true in your company but it's far from true nationwide. Census bureau says that in 2002-2003 (latest numbers they have) women made 75.5 cents for every dollar a man earned.

Yeah, but the poll left out the fact that they also take 100% of what their husbands earn.
:p

• Members
...Some people have a hard time breaking away, or think that they can inspire the person to change or be a better person, when some people (both male and female) are just simply jerks who don't treat anyone right, and aren't going to change no matter how good you are to them.

True, but these aren't the hallmarks of functional dating partners - and we're not supposed to be dating {censored}ed-up people.

{censored}ed-up women can find somebody to {censored} them unless they have three eyes or something so there's no reason for them to change. If people actually paid attention to who the hell they were asking out the assholes would be left to date each other.

You got a raw deal, Bryan - there's no question about that. But it could have been much, much worse. Most of the women I know are pretty decent people - maybe it's because the almost middle-aged ones quit playing games when they find out they can't stay in a relationship.

The bad girls get what's coming to them, honest. Until they clean up their act they never get to settle down and be happy. It's a pretty high price to pay.

Gravity - the great equalizer.

:D

• Members
True, but these aren't the hallmarks of functional dating partners - and we're not supposed to be dating {censored}ed-up people.

{censored}ed-up women can find somebody to {censored} them unless they have three eyes or something so there's no reason for them to change. If people actually paid attention to who the hell they were asking out the assholes would be left to date each other.

You got a raw deal, Bryan - there's no question about that. But it could have been much, much worse. Most of the women I know are pretty decent people - maybe it's because the almost middle-aged ones quit playing games when they find out they can't stay in a relationship.

The bad girls get what's coming to them, honest. Until they clean up their act they never get to settle down and be happy. It's a pretty high price to pay.

Gravity - the great equalizer.

I've noticed that some women (and I'm sure, men as well, but since I don't date men, I am going to draw from my experiences, here :D) are very capable of disguising/hiding their insane, irrational, {censored}ed-up behavior-at least for a time. I've dated at least two within the last few years. ;)

And I can also agree with the idea that once a person hits a certain age, they (hopefully) have learned their lessons and have learned to curb negative behaviors if they expect to have anyone decent in their lives. Most of the older women I know? Well adjusted. Great moms. Great wives. Great people. Many of the younger women I know, have dated, met, or even some family members? Umm...not so much. :freak:

Maybe I need to date some 50+ chicks? :D

And yes, I agree it could have been much, much worse for me. I could have married the woman who cheated on me, then 3 years later became a lesbian! :D

• Members
I guess that would depend on which gender you asked

If you're a hetero male and want sex the only way you're going to get it is by giving some woman somewhere something she wants. They've got the system rigged I tell ya! On top of everything they also live 8 years longer and then have the nerve to complain about how life treats them.

• Members
I've noticed that some women (and I'm sure, men as well, but since I don't date men, I am going to draw from my experiences, here
) are very capable of disguising/hiding their insane, irrational, {censored}ed-up behavior-at least for a time. I've dated at least two within the last few years.
;)

And I can also agree with the idea that once a person hits a certain age, they (hopefully) have learned their lessons and have learned to curb negative behaviors if they expect to have anyone decent in their lives. Most of the older women I know? Great people. Well adjusted. Great moms. Great wives. Great
people
. Many of the younger women I know, have dated, met, or even some family members? Umm...not so much.
:freak:

Maybe I need to date some 50+ chicks?

Maybe :D

You do make a really good point, though. The only way to continue the {censored}ed-up behavior is to learn how to disguise it - it's like protecting an addition, I think.

I'll pull out my favorite Dave Barry quote - which may save your ass sometime. I said it first or at least I think I expressed the sentiment first, but he gets all the credit, goddammit.

A person who is nice to you but rude to the waiter is not a nice person.

Words to live by.

Archived