This happened in my girlfriends neighborhood

2tall

• Moderators

It goes back to the shooter having a reasonable belief with the evidence at hand that trhe crime was being commited. That is decided at the DA, Grand Jury or Jury level, the same criteria as "being afraid for one's life".

Right. And in the situations where it is an honest (yet unreasonable) mistake, the killer is not going to get charged with murder. Manslaughter is more likely.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't lecture him about anything. I'd provide my eyewitness account when requested and help the guy find his rightful place behind bars.

You've got to be kidding me, Kindness. If you were being held up at gun point and someone shot and killed the person that was threatening your life, you'd want to see the shooter behind bars? That's morally wrong in my book.

• Members

You've got to be kidding me, Kindness. If you were being held up at gun point and someone shot and killed the person that was threatening your life, you'd want to see the shooter behind bars? That's morally wrong in my book.

I also didn't even say shot and killed. Just shot.

• Moderators

I will, and have, turned over my wallet without wanting the thief dead. Killing someone is a mistake that can't be taken back. Robbing someone is not.

• Members

no more whack than the people who are trying to condone his actions by saying that those two theives should be shot and killed because one citizen thinks they
might
be looking to rape or kill someone.

The thing is, that has not been established.

We are all responding to a media report - for all the talk of due process, it seems many are treating media reports as facts of the case, and have convicted this man already.

• Members

I will, and have, turned over my wallet without wanting the thief dead. Killing someone is a mistake that can't be taken back. Robbing someone is not.

The reason I hold my opinion is because when someone pulls a gun or a knife on you, they are a very real threat to your life. Here in the Twin Cities, we had two recent muggings that ended in death. One happened in North Minneapolis, a neighborhood well-known for it's crime. Two recent Mexican immigrants (a man and wife) were walking home after working the closing shift at McDonalds. Two thugs came up to them, pulled a gun, and demanded all valuables. The couple gave everything they had up without a struggle. When the encounter was over, the couple turned and walked away. Instead of just leaving with the loot, the thug with the gun shot the man in the back of the head, killing him instantly. This happened a little over a year ago.

Last Spring, there was another mugging in the uptown neighborhood of Minneapolis, a decent place with lots of popular shopping destinations, clubs, and bars. A graduate student was back home visiting his mom and his sister. They were robbed at gunpoint. Again, they gave everything up without a struggle. For no reason, the thug with the gun shot the young man in the head. He was rushed to the hospital but died a day or two later from his wound.

I am not a gun owner, but if I had a firearm and a conceal and carry permit, I feel it would be my moral obligation to intervene if I saw such an incident taking place. If I happened to shoot someone who was mugging a pedestrian at gunpoint, it would be no mistake.

You know, a lot of people feel that deadly force should not be allowed in defense of property. I respect that opinion. What I can't respect is the opinion that deadly force should never be used, even when someone's life is in imminent danger. The fact that you would want the shooter of an armed robber to serve time behind bars is sickening. I'm sorry to say that, but it is.

• Moderators

The fact that you would want the shooter of an armed robber to serve time behind bars is sickening. I'm sorry to say that, but it is.

I don't trust the judgment or aim of the average gun owner walking down the street. The last thing I want is some idiot thinking he's doing me a favor, shooting at the mugger and getting me killed in the process. I'd prefer to avoid that scenario. Having third party gunmen shooting people on the street is a lot scarier to me than common thieves.

Much like politics draws the wrong participants by its very nature; gun ownership does the same. Politicians are typically the last people on the planet you want making decisions for your benefit. The people that own and carry guns are typically the last people on the planet you want "protecting" you.

• Moderators

The fact that you would want the shooter of an armed robber to serve time behind bars is sickening. I'm sorry to say that, but it is.

In your scenario, the shooter is a person that knowingly violates the law to take the life of another human being. That is murder. That demonstrates the actor does not value society's laws and does not value human life. Where will this murderer draw the line? Killing Drs. performing abortions? Killing drug dealers standing out on the corner? Killing someone on the PTA that voted against his position?

• Members

In Florida you can only shoot someone if they are on YOUR property and if you think they might actually kill you and still it gets investigated and you still might get put in jail. My dads friend is a cop and I ask all kinds of questions because of the dumb stuff me and my friends do.,

That's with all states. There is a fine line in excessive force.

• Members

...You know, a lot of people feel that deadly force should not be allowed in defense of property. I respect that opinion. What I can't respect is the opinion that deadly force should never be used, even when someone's life is in imminent danger. The fact that you would want the shooter of an armed robber to serve time behind bars is sickening. I'm sorry to say that, but it is.

Got no problem with this opinion. IMO deadly force should not be used to protect property. There are exceptions, though. When I was in the Army I spent a bit of time guarding a Special Ammunition Supply Point for training - it wasn't real but you had to pretend it was. An SASP is where they store the bullets that make mushroom clouds - I think you should be able to shoot people stealing those.

I have no problem with using deadly force to protect people. I assume that if someone's pointing a weapon at a person that they intend to use it and whatever force is necessary to stop the assault is fine with me.

However, last time I checked there was no death penalty for burglary or violating immigration laws. I doubt two unarmed illegal aliens posed any kind of threat to an armed homeowner and if Joe had stayed in his house the way the 911 dispatcher told him to he wouldn't have been in harm's way either.

• Members

I wouldn't lecture him about anything. I'd provide my eyewitness account when requested and help the guy find his rightful place behind bars.

Fortunately, where I live, the cops would take your testimony and then release the guy who shot the perp and never file charges provided that he had a legally owned firearm and a concealed carry permit.

While I agree with you about the fact that the guy in Texas was in the wrong for confronting a couple of thieves. A real threat of violence is legal grounds for lethal force.

• Members

Only if you can get a clean shot. I find it best to wait in the bushes around Taco Bell parking lots at 2:00 a.m.

Area weapons are the ticket if you don't want to miss. They have to roll down the window to order - if you're standing behind the menu board it'd be easy to lob a grenade into the car.

Good times...

Archived