This happened in my girlfriends neighborhood

2tall

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not defending the thieves' criminal act. You, on the other hand, are defending Joe Horn's criminal act, claiming that it is justified.

There was no threat made to Mr. Horn and lethal force is illegal in that case.

He left his home to engage the suspects and shot them both within ten seconds. Two seconds elapsed between his "warning" and the first shot. The thieves were not armed and Mr. Horn even said to the 911 operator that he was going out there to kill them.

He was told repeatedly by the 911 operator not to go outside.

Should all criminals receive the death penalty or should the punishment fit the crime?

I said I agreed with the action, whether or not I'd do it myself is something else. I would have given them more time, but at his age and being outnumbered, I do not fault him for the actions taken.

The police said wait. So, he was just supposed to stand there and watch as the robbery took place? You don't think they would have escaped before any sort of fuzz showed up? What was he going to do? Pursue them on foot? Not sure what the 5-0 are like in your area, but that sure as hell ain't gonna happen here. Also, knowing the Houston PD, they'd have shot the guys on sight anyhow!

It may have not been the best way to rectify the situation, but again- it's their own faults for being there. If they'd have been shot and killed by the homeowner, they'd still be dead for home invasion, and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It's not like they didn't know this risk going in.

• Members

If you listen to the second 911 call, after he shot them, he says they came in the front yard with him, and he had no idea what they were going to do. If that's the case, then I think he is 100% justified in shooting them. He goes out with a gun to confront them, warns them, and they come towards him. At his age, I don't think the two of them would have any trouble taking the gun away from him if he didn't shoot right away.

• Members

lol, well im in the uk, and we are arrested if we hit/ restrain or do anything to a robber, the criminal gets away with everything in this country and we get book thrown at us, i mean a mate of mine caught a shop lifter and restrained him, the police turn up 20 mins later the man gets a caution and my mate gets a warning stating that he could have been arrested for detaining him against his will, its a joke.....

• Members

lol, well im in the uk, and we are arrested if we hit/ restrain or do anything to a robber, the criminal gets away with everything in this country and we get book thrown at us, i mean a mate of mine caught a shop lifter and restrained him, the police turn up 20 mins later the man gets a caution and my mate gets a warning stating that he could have been arrested for detaining him against his will, its a joke.....

Is it the same if they break into your home?

• Members

But at least you know that once they do make you a crimminal for protecting your stuff, you can get away with murder! :thu:

• Members

This event happened in Texas - the state which allows homeowners to shoot to kill if they confront a burglar.

Clearly this was not sufficient deterrent for these two criminals.

Now put yourself in that situation, with that background as the context, you being a 70 year old man walking outside in the dark.

Couple that with the fact that they did not remain still, even at gunpoint.

There is a very good chance they were moving towards the old man in order to disarm and quite possibly shoot him with his own gun.

• Members

I'm not defending the thieves' criminal act. You, on the other hand, are defending Joe Horn's criminal act, claiming that it is justified.

There was no threat made to Mr. Horn and lethal force is illegal in that case.

He left his home to engage the suspects and shot them both within ten seconds.

Two seconds elapsed between his "warning" and the first shot.

A lot of ground can be covered in two seconds - that's more than enough time for someone to lunge into your personal space and become a very serious threat to your life.

The number one rule when brandishing a weapon, is to secure that weapon.

It sounds like the old man did just that, and in the process rid the world of 2 career scumbags.

:cop::freak:

• Members

This event happened in Texas - the state which allows homeowners to shoot to kill if they confront a burglar.

Clearly this was not sufficient deterrent for these two criminals.

Now put yourself in that situation, with that background as the context, you being a 70 year old man walking outside in the dark.

Couple that with the fact that they did not remain still, even at gunpoint.

There is a very good chance they were moving towards the old man in order to disarm and quite possibly shoot him with his own gun.

Now imagine that you knew that there were thieves outside, and you saw them trying to leave. Continue imagining that you then willfully went outside with the intention of killing them, with the full knowledge that they were going away from you and your house, not towards it (he said something along the lines of "they are getting away with the loot"). Keep your imagination going, and consider that you then went outside and announced your presence. They then took off running AWAY from you (they were both shot in the back) and you choose to shoot them both anyways.

I fully support defending yourself when needed, but even with limited evidence, this clearly wasn't self-defense. It may have been "future thief deterrent", but it definitely had nothing to do with him being threatened.

• Members

Now imagine that you knew that there were thieves outside, and you saw them trying to leave. Continue imagining that you then willfully went outside with the intention of killing them, with the full knowledge that they were going away from you and your house, not towards it (he said something along the lines of "they are getting away with the loot"). Keep your imagination going, and consider that you then went outside and announced your presence. They then took off running AWAY from you
(they were both shot in the back)
and you choose to shoot them both anyways.

I fully support defending yourself when needed, but even with limited evidence, this clearly wasn't self-defense. It may have been "future thief deterrent", but it definitely had nothing to do with him being threatened.

I don't know where you see that they were both shot in the back. This is a quote from the news article in the OP:

One shot struck one of the suspected burglars in the chest, and the other was struck on the side.

• Members

Actually one was shot in the side and the other in the chest. Still, the thieves were trying to get away when he went outside.

I should really re-read before I respond (I read this when it was very first posted, but hadn't gone back since, my memory must be going).

Again, just to reiterate what has been said a couple times already. If it was a "dangerous situation" outside, he choose to go into that "dangerous situation". The thieves were leaving and he went out after them.

• Members

Now, I'm just curious here... I know there are different types of ammo for shotguns, and nothing I've read so far is really specific with it. If he had his gun loaded with the spray stuff that people use to deter bears from coming too close to houses out in the country, would it be possible for someone to get shot that close (article says

• Members

If you listen to the second 911 call, after he shot them, he says they came in the front yard with him, and he had no idea what they were going to do.
If
that's the case, then I think he is 100% justified in shooting them. He goes out with a gun to confront them, warns them, and they come towards him. At his age, I don't think the two of them would have any trouble taking the gun away from him if he didn't shoot right away.

But - one of the dead perps was found across the street and the other one was two houses away. Both perps were unarmed. Do you really think they came across the street to confront someone with a firearm?

Joe said they were on his property in some pathetic attempt to keep from getting prosecuted for shooting people who *weren't* on his property.

• Members

I think this should be true in every state. If someone breaks into your house with the intent to steal your property (or cause you harm of course), you should have the right to shoot him/her. Home invasion is very serious, and is a line someone just shouldn't cross.

• Members

I think this should be true in every state. If someone breaks into your house with the intent to steal your property (or cause you harm of course), you should have the right to shoot him/her. Home invasion is very serious, and is a line someone just shouldn't cross.

Again, the potential loss of property is not reason to use deadly force on a person. If I were to shoot someone leaving my property for the mere fact that they had taken a guitar or whatever, I would be liable for the murder of that person. No material object is worth taking another's life over. If you've ever dealt with concealed carry/home defense laws in most states, you'll find that this is the case, and rightfully so, IMO. If an unarmed criminal enters your home with the sole purpose of making off with property, then you can certainly compel them to stop or leave with your gun, but you cannot and should not shoot them.

Now if your life/limb/family are in danger, then that's a completely different story. I would not hesitate to use deadly force in those situations. If you're so shallow as to shoot someone because they're making off with your TV or whatever, though, then I question whether you're responsible enough to own a firearm.

• Moderators
Now if your
life/limb/family
are in danger, then that's a completely different story. I would not hesitate to use deadly force in those situations. If you're so shallow as to shoot someone because they're making off with your TV or whatever, though, then I question whether you're responsible enough to own a firearm.

Have you ever been robbed? If not then you don't quite understand the violation. Perhaps you have. Either way, you're right that shooting someone making off with the property is a little overboard. However, the threat of the use of force is a strong deterrent if it would be used more often. What's wrong with this case is it wasn't the man's own home, and they weren't in his yard.

• Members

Disagree. You shouldn't be allowed to use deadly force to protect property, only to protect people.

• Members

Have you ever been robbed? If not then you don't quite understand the violation. Perhaps you have. Either way, you're right that shooting someone making off with the property is a little overboard. However, the threat of the use of force is a strong deterrent if it would be used more often. What's wrong with this case is it wasn't the man's own home, and they weren't in his yard.

I know what it feels like-I have been robbed before, though indirectly. I also know that the property I would lose through such a situation is replaceable. Living years of my life in jail because I chose to shoot someone running away with my wallet is not replaceable time, and that person's life is not a replaceable item.

If you're going to carry a weapon, you need to know the situations under which its operation is sanctioned. It seems that many in this thread do not.

Archived