This happened in my girlfriends neighborhood

2tall

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did your car drive you to work this week?

I was being tremendously sarcastic, if the :rolleyes: wasn't an indication.

I actually come from a family with a long history of responsible gun ownership, and I enjoy shooting sporting clays. I'm also pretty handy with a pistol, if need be.

It's because of the above that I'm arguing that he's in the wrong.

• Members

...If I were that man, and I saw someone breaking into my neighbors house, I wouldnt know what the criteria is for determining wether or not the perps are breaking in to steal a few panties or if they mean bodily harm on my neighbors family...If I caught them leaving, I dont know if they are carrying a sackful of bling or a severed head...What this man
does
know is that these people are invading a home that is clearly not theirs to enter, and that they are clearly breaking the law, and that the family and homeowner of the target house could be at risk, and that if he stops them NOW, they won't ever risk breaking into anybody else's home - including his - in the future.........

That isn't my point. If I see someone breaking into a neighbor's house, I sure as hell am going to call the police, but without further knowledge of the situation, I would be highly hesitant to consider using a gun as an option in stopping them. The risks involved with applying lethal force as a civilian are simply not worth it unless there's a clear intent on the part of the criminal to cause bodily harm. I'm not going to risk years of jail time just so that I can have the Pyrrhic victory of knowing that I gave a criminal his "due"-even if all he ended up doing was trying to purloin the Jones' TV. Petty theft is not cause for the application of deadly force, period.

Do you believe that this man's "solution" was a considered and responsible one?

• Members

I'm applying for a WV concealed carry permit. I've noticed thuggery lookin at me funny because I cant walk right. my right hand/arm still works just fine. :freak:

only a matter of time before somebody tries me out for a mugging, and maybe I can kill em before they touch my wife. :phil:

• Members

Do you believe that this man's "solution" was a considered and responsible one?

No, of course not, but I do believe that his solution works better than the penalties current state's laws allow for this type of crime....and thats the rub: the bottom line is that the penalties for breaking the law doing crimes of this nature (home-invasion) are not deterrents to do them in the first place and perps need to fear doing these types of crimes and consider the outcomes if they so choose to do them - if the penalties for home-invasions are severely stiffer, and the perp is aware of the consequences and ignores them anyway, then 'premeditation' is now a factor, wether its simple burglary or bodily harm....

Current laws are a joke and most criminals, especially career ones, know this.... the fact that we have coined the phrase 'career criminal' is a testament to this

• Members

IMO what this country needs is more people with the balls to take the law into their own hands because it is obvious that the cops won't do anything except for file a police report then pass it along for some dickhead detective to chuck it in a file while the criminals go about their business as usual. our justice system works more to the advantage of the criminal than it does the victim most of the time it seems.

I am sick and tired of these limp wristed panty wayste bleeding hearts shifting the blame on some lowlifes parents for their behaviour.

the neighborhood watch ought to have the right to beat the purp down or use deadly force if necessiary.

if we start sending a clear message to these scumbags that we ain't going to put up with their {censored} and the cops ain't going to be around to protect their sorry asses the crime rate might just die down in this country

• Members

IMO what this country needs is more people with the balls to take the law into their own hands because it is obvious that the cops won't do anything except for file a police report then pass it along for some dickhead detective to chuck it in a file while the criminals go about their business as usual. our justice system works more to the advantage of the criminal than it does the victim most of the time it seems.

I am sick and tired of these limp wristed panty wayste bleeding hearts shifting the blame on some lowlifes parents for their behaviour.

the neighborhood watch ought to have the right to beat the purp down or use deadly force if necessiary.

if we start sending a clear message to these scumbags that we ain't going to put up with their {censored} and the cops ain't going to be around to protect their sorry asses the crime rate might just die down in this country

Cops don't do anything but file a repotr?!?! What the {censored} have you been smoking.. i've got 3 cops in my family and they are in dangerous situations with people and guns every day almost. They run into places where people are held up with guns and hostages to keep people from getting hurt. My uncle chased a guy who almost killed an old lady up a house and threw the perp off the roof breaking both his legs while wrestling with him up there. My friends dad(while off-duty) pulled his OWN PERSONAL FAMILY SUV in front of a runner from a homicide so he wouldn't hurt anyone else. File that in your "I'm ignorant and know nothing about the law!" drawer.

• Members

RAAARGH LAW OF MAN RAAARGH

• Members

Cops don't do anything but file a repotr?!?! What the {censored} have you been smoking.. i've got 3 cops in my family and they are in dangerous situations with people and guns every day almost. They run into places where people are held up with guns and hostages to keep people from getting hurt. My uncle chased a guy who almost killed an old lady up a house and threw the perp off the roof breaking both his legs while wrestling with him up there. My friends dad(while off-duty) pulled his OWN PERSONAL FAMILY SUV in front of a runner from a homicide so he wouldn't hurt anyone else. File that in your "I'm ignorant and know nothing about the law!" drawer.

man I we called the sheriffs department 15 times in a week on a bunch of thugs who moved in the neighborhood that started vandalizing and terrorizing our neighborhood the moment they moved in and not one of them {censored}ers did a {censored}ing thing about these scumbags! every one of the worthless mother {censored}ers said the same thing all we can do is file a report unless we witness them doing something:blah: hell one of the times the cops were called one of the thugs threw a rock at the cops car and spiderwebbed the front windshield of the cops car and the worthless mother {censored}ers still did'nt arrest the thugs.:mad:

I actually had to go to the magistrate and file charges against the pieces of {censored} and call the news stations to have it aired on tv before anything was done

even the majistrate judge asked me why the cops did not make any arrests.

the neighbors basically rallyed against the {censored}ers and they finally got the hint that we was not going to take their {censored}! so it was either get the {censored} out of our neighborhood or we are going to have an old fashoned lynching

the law may work in your neck of the woods but around here they are useless as tits on a boar hog!

• Members

1. In most places it's illegal to use deadly force to protect property - it isn't in Texas but it should be.

2. The guy told the police dispatcher he was gonna kill the guys before he even left his house. Then before he fired he told them "you're dead". Afterward he told the police dispatcher that they threatened him and came onto his property but police found one dead guy across the street and the other one two houses down.

3. As far as I'm concerned this was murder. He could have held the assholes at gunpoint until the cops got there - the police dispatcher told him not to go out and shoot the guys.

• Members

1. In most places it's illegal to use deadly force to protect property - it isn't in Texas but it should be.

2. The guy told the police dispatcher he was gonna kill the guys before he even left his house. Then before he fired he told them "you're dead". Afterward he told the police dispatcher that they threatened him and came onto his property but police found one dead guy across the street and the other one two houses down.

3. As far as I'm concerned this was murder. He could have held the assholes at gunpoint until the cops got there - the police dispatcher told him not to go out and shoot the guys.

To be clear, in Texas it is only legal to shoot someone at night to protect property. The thinking is that there is no way for the home owner to verify the perp isn't armed and the law doesn't want to put the victem in the situation of having to wait to see if the perp is goning to use deadly force. During the day, one must actually be in fear of one's life to use deadly force.

• Members

I don't agree with what the guy did, but if the two thugs had come over to his house and broken in, then he would've been justified in killing them. I believe a homeowner should have the right to use deadly force if someone breaks into their home with obvious intent to rob or otherwise harm.

• Members

To be clear, in Texas it is only legal to shoot someone
at night
to protect property. The thinking is that there is no way for the home owner to verify the perp isn't armed and the law doesn't want to put the victem in the situation of having to wait to see if the perp is goning to use deadly force. During the day, one must actually be in fear of one's life to use deadly force.

I didn't know this. Thanks for the clarification :)

• Members

Just wait...

The two dead thugs will be hailed as civil rights heroes. Their mothers will be on TV telling the world what good boys they were, and everyone will condemn the actions of the racist redneck bigot, who will spend the rest of his life in prison.

That's the way things go nowadays.

• Members

That is absolutely {censored}ing disgusting and that old man should get the punishment he deserves for being a cold blooded murderer.

Yeah, if the story is true and he shot them while they were trying to flee, then it is total bull{censored} and the guy is just plain dangerous.

I'm a big gun rights fan, but things like this are counter productive.

This would be no different than a mall security guard shooting an alleged shoplifter.

I'm all about defending my home and my family, but if there is no threat, i.e., the threat is leaving, then there is no reason for deadly force.

Also, you should not hold someone at gunpoint unless you intend to shoot them. Most criminals know that most gun owners don't have the stomach to actually shoot anyone so they will more than likely attempt to flee. It's not like it is in the movies. The only time I will ever pull out my gun is if I intend to kill someone.

• Members

even done a "citizen's arrest" with weapon in hand until police arrived.

This isn't "badass," it isn't brave. It's stupid and reckless use of deadly force in a situation that did not demand its application.
:rolleyes:

I agree.. why did he shoot them in the chest. if they wouldn't stop running why not wound them in the legs? he coulda got away with that i figure..

• Members

I agree.. why did he shoot them in the chest. if they wouldn't stop running why not wound them in the legs? he coulda got away with that i figure..

Wound 'em in the legs ya gotta worry about law suits, medical bills, etc. If the time comes that you feel the need to use deadly force, it is beyond "wounding". Shoot to kill, or don't bother shooting.

In this case, the individual in question was in no direct danger, (IMO) and he will probably do some time for it. If he was in a position to interdict the perps (ie standing outside the door way waiting for them) he could have used the threat of deadly force to make a citizens arrest of sorts, but unless they made aggressive moves towards him, he had no LEGAL right to fire. Moral obligation, maybe, but the law don't cover that do it ?

• Members

Yeah, if the story is true and he shot them while they were trying to flee, then it is total bull{censored} and the guy is just plain dangerous.

This would be no different than a mall security guard shooting an alleged shoplifter.

I'm all about defending my home and my family, but if there is no threat, i.e., the threat is leaving, then there is no reason for deadly force.

Also, you should not hold someone at gunpoint unless you intend to shoot them. Most criminals know that most gun owners don't have the stomach to actually shoot anyone so they will more than likely attempt to flee. It's not like it is in the movies. The only time I will ever pull out my gun is if I intend to kill someone.

Word.

• Members

the only logical reply..........

imminent danger. if you own a gun you need to know this definition

"likely to occur at any moment; impending:"

"liability or exposure to harm or injury; risk; peril."

other than that, keep it holstered

• Moderators
If my mate's neighbour thought like that guy did I'd probably be dead right now, last week I dropped by his house and his neighbours thought I was breaking in, he called the cops who were there in about 5 minutes and 10 seconds to establish that I wasn't breaking in, much more preferable to a stomach full of lead.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, we could also post here almost every day about 15 people walking by a woman getting raped and doing absolutely nothing to help her. This guy went a bit too far. If he really wanted to break out the gun he may have been better served to fire a warning shot up in the air to see if they would stop until the police showed up. As is, I think he'll do jail time and should. I stand by the thought that too many neighborhoods are full of too many neighbors who have absolutely no idea who their neighbors even are or could care less.

• Members

At the opposite end of the spectrum, we could also post here almost every day about 15 people walking by a woman getting raped and doing absolutely nothing to help her. This guy went a bit too far. If he really wanted to break out the gun he may have been better served to fire a warning shot up in the air to see if they would stop until the police showed up. As is, I think he'll do jail time and should. I stand by the thought that too many neighborhoods are full of too many neighbors who have absolutely no idea who their neighbors even are or could care less.

Don't some shotguns only hold 2 shells at a time? If that was the case for his, would you waste a shell on a warning shot when there's 2 people if you thought there was any chance they'd try to attack you?

EDIT: Nevermind. 3 shotgun blasts in the audio. Obviously more than 2 shells in the gun.

Archived