GC Visit: Aguilar/13yr old content

t3ch

• Members

OK, so now that I've been on my cab kick lately and trying out everything I can, I must admit I've had a change of heart. Because the Kustom I was going to buy was broken, I started playing around with other cabs some more. The aguilar sounded incredible! I'm gonna have to pick up a GS 112 until I can find a nice Kustom stack in good condition :thu:

Also, while my friend and I fumbled over misc basslines testing out some basses/cabs, we hear someone slapping Aeroplane. We look over and it's some kid who can't be more than 13 playing on a musicman. Both of our jaws dropped (cause we suck and were jealous)... And then we turned down the cab we were testing out :cry:

I'm so far behind!

• Members

Music is not a competition. I used to be intimidated by all the great players that I've seen/met including those on this forum. Now, I just don't give a rat's ass. I do this for fun and personal enjoyment. It is highly unlikely that I'll ever become a really good bassist. I'm okay with that.

:)

• Members

I agree, but I'm a perfectionist and I'm not used to being sub-par at something. I pick up on things quickly and expect quick progress, playing bass with my busy schedule hasn't made for the best improvement.

I'm not saying I'm gonna kick the kids ass in the parking lot for being better than me or anything, we were just amazed. I can't help but be a little sad though wondering how good I could be if I picked up on this when I was in elementary, or high school, or even just 2-3 years ago.

• Members

OK, so now that I've been on my cab kick lately and trying out everything I can, I must admit I've had a change of heart. Because the Kustom I was going to buy was broken, I started playing around with other cabs some more. The aguilar sounded incredible! I'm gonna have to pick up a GS 112 until I can find a nice Kustom stack in good condition
:thu:

Also, while my friend and I fumbled over misc basslines testing out some basses/cabs, we hear someone slapping Aeroplane. We look over and it's some kid who can't be more than 13 playing on a musicman. Both of our jaws dropped (cause we suck and were jealous)... And then we turned down the cab we were testing out
:cry:

I'm so far behind!

Not being able to slap doesn't mean you suck.

• Members

The only way to get better is just to keep playing.

BTW, a lot of Flea's basslines sound super impressive when you hear them...but are really quite simple to play. I bet you'd be surprised how quickly you might pick them up if you sit down and do a little wood-shedding.

Then the next time you find yourself at a Guitar Center, you can pick up a MM Stingray with a nice, low action and crank it through a great amp you'll have everyone in the room thinking you are the bass god.

Emre

• Members

Can't slap. Don't mind it. Start laying down a solid walking bass line, and people notice.

I'm only half-competent at walking bass lines... As in, I can't really do much outside of walking up and down through the chord changes, but not over the chords themselves. I'm more sad that I can't slap properly, though. But that definitely comes from idolizing Flea... After all, he's the reason I became a bassist, rather than a guitarist that happens to play bass :p

• Members

I love my aggie...and today's experience witht he Schroeder 2x10 proved it. The Aggie's just sound os much fuller and better. THe Schroeder was just way too bland for me. Aguilar rocks my balls off.

Dan

I haven't played Schroeder yet (though I really want to), but I've played tons of other cabs so far and the only two that have stood out were Aguilar and Kustom.

• Members

I was talking with this luthier Dave Simmons Friday at a show, one older Jazzer was playing his display basses...then some younger (mid 20's) guy picked one up and started the "look at me" wankery...Dave cracked a grin and said "i love fusion, but everybody trying to outdo one another is just ridiculous", then proceded to talk about Stings beatup 54 P he plays "when he could play any bass by any Luthier he so chooses"...it made my day knowing somone selling $2-4k basses said that.

He has some nice stuff, real nice, body style isn't for me though.

http://www.simmonsguitars.com/index.html

• Members

I was talking with this luthier Dave Simmons Friday at a show, one older Jazzer was playing his display basses...then some younger (mid 20's) guy picked one up and started the "look at me" wankery...Dave cracked a grin and said "i love fusion, but everybody trying to outdo one another is just ridiculous", then proceded to talk about Stings beatup 54 P he plays "when he could play any bass by any Luthier he so chooses"...it made my day knowing somone selling $2-4k basses said that.

He has some nice stuff, real nice, body style isn't for me though.

Very Ritter-ish. I like!

• Members

Yup busting out a solid walking bass line outside of the normal triad indicates a good understanding of the bass.

Isn't that still showing off though, even if only in your own mind? When I was playing around on cabs I played the same 4-5 riffs plus a little just tinkering around, so I had something to compare and get a feel of the play... I wasn't trying to impress anybody, just get a feel/sound for what I'm used to playing.

• Members

No, besides not being able to slap, I still really suck. I'm not being modest, seriously. Not good.

:D

dont feel bad, I have been playing bass for close to 30 years and I am not very good at it.

but, I have have as much fun as I can .I play in jam sessions once in a while and most people I play with are good enough to record and some actually do. some actually play with famous musicians.

I played pretty hard and heavy from 14-about 19 years old.I wasnt bad back then. then stopped for about 5 years or so. thats when I lost it. I never really had an "ear" for music and cannot improvise to save my life. I basically follow patterns I have played over and over to records for years...but thats ok with me....I have a Ric....lifes not that bad

lol

Archived