Which 1x12" ?

FreestyleIntruder

• Members

The GS112 is really focused on low end, I would say the epi would be a better all round cab... but not worth the price in comparison to the aggy cabs.

I think you should consider the db112 by Aguilar as well, i'm going to mix and match with my gs112 and hopefully the mini stack will cover a more complete spectrum of bass tone.

• Members

The GS112 is really focused on low end, I would say the epi would be a better all round cab... but not worth the price in comparison to the aggy cabs.

I think you should consider the db112 by Aguilar as well, i'm going to mix and match with my gs112 and hopefully the mini stack will cover a more complete spectrum of bass tone.

even with those tweeters?

• Members

OKAY... I've played thru the Genz Benz, the Bergie, the Aggie, the Boogie, the 'Peg, and the Epi.

I feel the Aggie offers the best bang for the buck if you want a BIG deeeep sound. The Bergie is ideal if you want a more hi fi sound, like what SWR wishes it was. The Epi and the Boogie are more tame, and somewhat similar from what I could tell. I tested the Epi with an all tranny Epi amp and the Boogie with a 'Peg V4b a few months apart. The 'Peg is very cool in that it really offers up that classic 'Peg sound in a small. light & convenient package.

Unfortunately, I didn't spend enough time with the GB. It sounded REAL nice tho. Fairly well balanced from what I could tell. I don't recall it having any real distinct character.

I think, in general, 1x12's offer the most bang for buck. A single will inspire you at home for writing and spur you on to practice longer, while being a perfectly sized package for smaller gigs(worship, coffee house, jams, etc). A pair can fit in any car, loaded & unloaded easily, and should be just right for medium sized gigs.

• Members

Single cab I'd get the Aguilar. If you wanted to run two of them I'd be looking hard at Epifanis or a GS112 paired with a Bergantino EX-112. The DB112 might be a good fit as well, but I've never played through one.

• Members

what about accugroove??!??

hehehehehe
:evil:

They cost a bit more than our high-pathetic-cool bass player was planning on spending

He just wants something small and light for jam sessions, and those gigs where taking his full setup would be unnecessary or logistically impractical (eg stuff with acoustic guitars, D&B stuff, or just to be on the safe side for those gigs where the promoter *says* an amp will be provided but that could mean anything from an Ampeg SVT to a 15w Laney combo)

• Members

Bump!

...are looking like the most likely contenders at the moment...the Aguilar is the only one that's available locally though

The Berg and the Epi have the most balanced sound. To my ears, the Berg offers up more depth of staging. If you want a more hyped sound, the Aggie is damned impressive and a lost le$$ to boot.

• Members

I would only go for the Berg or Epi if the bass was extremely prominent live, and the tone was exceptionally important.

I mean there is no point in going for an uber refined tone (unless you can afford/desperately want it) in a speed metal band, but if you are in a more simplistic band enviroment where your tone can fully be appreciated... then yeah, go for the Epi imo dude.

• Members

I would only go for the Berg or Epi if the bass was extremely prominent live, and the tone was exceptionally important.

I mean there is no point in going for an uber refined tone (unless you can afford/desperately want it) in a speed metal band, but if you are in a more simplistic band enviroment where your tone can fully be appreciated... then yeah, go for the Epi imo dude.

I agree.

Also, the Boogie, GB & 'Peg were all equally as nice to my ears. Just different colors.

• Members

See I'm not especially precious or sentimental about tone but I do tend to prefer more of a transparent sound (my dream bass amp would sound just like my Tannoy NFMs :) ). Really want to try the Epifani but that means a trip to {censored}ing London :blah: Either that or just buy without trying and hope for the best :freak:

• Members

I don't think you could go too wrong with any of these but I want to hear what an EA Whizzy sounds like with my Eden 550 traveler before I pull the trigger.

I KNEW I was forgetting one! :D

Yeah, I was disappointed with the EA 12. Sounded thin to my ears. I tried it with Eden's new ultralight head.

• Members

After getting my Powerhouse 212 in on Friday, I can say I much prefer it to a 2xGS112 setup. But that's just my ears. It's more authoritative overall, and a little more throaty, whereas the GS are a little bit more smooth.

Pricewise, the best bang for the buck are the Aggys.

• Members

i'm all about my bergantino HT-112. i played through (and was severely disappointed by my expectations for) a GS112 a couple times before that. two GS112s are better, but they're really not my flavor at all. lots of other people love them, so that's offered more as counterpoint than anything else.

i'd be curious to hear the warwick, but we don't get a lot of that on this side of the atlantic. i use a warwick preamp (the quadruplet) that i love a lot, and bought it because i actually got to audition the quad VI amp through a warwick 410. i guess that's the long way of saying if were going to try some other 112s, i'd be interested in the warwick.

and the GB. i am due for another experience with a GB cabinet.

i'd also like to try a mesa/boogie powerhouse 112.

robb.

Archived