Spector score at GC

AnalogKid

• Members

This is a long-winded thread about a bass purchase, please back out if you are easily bored or if have you ADD. Or you could just scroll down and look at the pics.

So, I recently decided that I needed a "modern" sounding bass for my band. The Jaguar was nice, but not quite getting the job done for me. I got a little tax refund money, so I look around at ebay and various classified sites hoping to fins something but nothing jumps out at me. So, I decide to go to GC before my money has arrived to see if they have any good deals there. I play a SR5, a Warwick Corvette Std., a Schecter, an Ibanez SR505, and a Fender AD Jazz. All but the Schecter and the Ibby are good IMO, but not really what I'm after. I was about to get discouraged when I noticed a red Spector 5-string hanging on the wall. It's marked at $500 so i figure its one of the cheap Korean models, but its actually a used Euro. Dead strings and battery, lots of battle scars, though most can't be seen from more than 5 feet away. Still, not interested in a problem child(funny how things turn around). As I'm leaving, I see another Spector Euro, but this one is an amber 4-string and is marked at $750. Its in mint condition, so I decide to try it. It is PERFECT! Its exactly the tone I'm looking for. So, I go home and discuss with the wife how it went. I tell her about the crap red Euro that doesn't work and the gorgeous orange one that does work. She listens to me tell her my decision to go back and get the orange one and she informs me that she would like to come along. Here is where it gets interesting....

Our money comes in so we head back to GC. I show her the basses I had told her about including the two Spectors. She falls in love with the red 5er with a dead battery and strings, thinks its gorgeous even after I show her all the dings. I still want the amber one. Since its my decision, I start to ring up the amber one. Problem is that GC has a policy on used instruments that states they can't be sold for 30 days after GC takes it in, in case someone reports it stolen (they say its a police hold, so it might be a local policy). So, I can put a hold on it but I can't take it home for 3 weeks. BUMMER! The wife asks if the red one can be bought and they say it can. He pops a fresh battery in the red one and it works, but it sounds awful. He says they'll throw my favorite strings for free, so now I don't know. My lovely wife suggests I get both basses and that way I can take something home that day and still get the one I really want (I married well). This required me using her share of our tax refund. She was aware of that and still thought it was the best thing to do. They knocked almost $150 off the price of the 4-string. Both basses cost me a little over $1,100. Feels like I stole them for that price. So, 3 weeks ago I took the red 5er home and some fresh DR Lo-Riders on it and it is AWESOME!!! I have used it on 3 gigs so far and it does EXACTLY what I was wanted a "modern" bass to do for me. Today, I went and got my amber 4-string. Here they are:

DSC02993.jpg

DSC02972.jpg

DSC02994.jpg

Its so nice to have found exactly what you wanted in, not just one, but two basses and to have them both. I am now a HUGE fan of Spector basses.

• Members

My lovely wife suggests I get both basses and that way I can take something home that day and still get the one I really want (I married well). This required me using her share of our tax refund. She was aware of that and still thought it was the best thing to do. Its so nice to have found exactly what you wanted in, not just one, but two basses and to have them both. I am now a HUGE fan of Spector basses.

I must say, I am a HUGE fan of your wife!!!

Nice score on a couple of great basses!! Give your wife a hug for me!

• Members

I must say, I am a HUGE fan of your wife!!!

Nice score on a couple of great basses!! Give your wife a hug for me!

Yeah, she rules. I have no complaints. I've seen so many of my musician friends get chewed up and spit out, having to beg and plead for cheap junk when they can afford a nicer instrument, getting crap for being in a band, or having to give up music altogether. My music has been a priority to her since back when we were dating, but I was a little worried things would change once we said "I do". 7.5 years and 1 kid in, she still totally supports my music habit. I know I am blessed.

To some earlier posts, old AIC and Queensryche are what made me interested in Spectors in the first place. Not that I was looking for them, just kind of a "hey, these dudes played Spectors...maybe I should try this one out" type of thing. And I can't blame anyone who didn't read the whole post. Bassgeek and I are dangerously close to having matching rigs (Spector + Genz-Benz). I'm sure he will approve.

• Members
i have a major GAS for spector.... have you played the spector legends? how are they?

I've played almost all of them, but the Euro's are my favorite. Depending on the setup, they sound equal, if not better, than the US models. On the US models, you are only paying for the hand crafted workmanship, and MAYBE a little better piece of wood. MAYBE! The only downside to the Euro is that it does not have a mid control. As with most of the Spectors.

• Members

So did you notice that the Spectors are SO hot that you have to turn the pad on AND turn the gain down when you plug it in. The Euro's kick MAJOR BUTT!

Yes, actually I have. Its the first time I have really had to try and dial some aggression and growl OUT of the sound. But the combination of Spector and my Genz Benz is really special. So far, I think the 4 is the more aggressive of the two. This is quite surprising considering how aggressive I though the 5er was. Also, the low B on the 5er is one of the best I've played. It doesn't feel like 35" scale, but it sounds and plays like it (I got out a tape measure just to make sure). It wouldn't best the Dingwall low B, but it could definitely hold its own. Which is crazy considering how much more the Dingy cost me. Both have beautiful finishes, but the 4 has my heart right now. It just looks and feels right. But, the 5er will probably get most of the work.

• Members

have you played the spector legends? how are they?

I actually have played them and I always thought they were nice for the price. However, I think its worth it, at this point, to save a little more and get a used Euro. They really aren't that expensive considering how nice they are and the differences between a Legend and a Euro are pretty substantial. But Legends are nothing to be ashamed of, they are on par with the best instruments in their price range.

Archived