Oh dear... bass body cracking!

Benjamin

• Members

Changing strings yesterday I noticed two hairline cracks in the neck joint area, one either side from the corners back :( This is on my black Epi Ripper (for those of you who don't know, think Gibson Grabber/Ripper/G3)

This leaves me with a real problem, albeit one which can be solved in a number of ways:

1. Have a similar body made to suit the neck, keep all Bartolini elecs and hardware

2. Have a completely new neck-thru bass made in the same style, using same hardware etc

The neck is in good condition, however the frets are severely worn and need replacing. Save on one hand, spend on another.

The option is there to go for a new bass, but I have a local luthier whose work is beautiful. For the price he can deliver a new body to my specs, I really couldn't buy a new bass in my mind.

What kind of woods would be nice? Standard she was all maple and painted black, with black pickguard. I'd like to have a chambered body slightly thicker than normal. Maybe something with a Maple cap to keep some brightness?

• Members

Do you have pics ? It may not be any real problem , could be only finish cracks . You do see cracks occur at the neck pocket on some instruments . This is often from climate changes . I have heard the use of a super fine super glue used to fix hair line cracks in archtops and Hofner basses ,so may be research a few remedies .

• Members

Do you have pics ? It may not be any real problem , could be only finish cracks . You do see cracks occur at the neck pocket on some instruments . This is often from climate changes . I have heard the use of a super fine super glue used to fix hair line cracks in archtops and Hofner basses ,so may be research a few remedies .

:thu: I was going to ask/say the same thing

• Members

Man you really run unlucky with this bass.

Since you have a talented luthier nearby and pretty much know what you want, I vote for a full custom model based on your specs.

Been heading down that train of thought for some time. She's done me proud and I am no surprised if this is how her life ends!

Attached are pics. They don't look too bad, both are from same origin at corner of pocket. The crack in the second pic is slightly deeper.

• Members

The only way to really know is to take off the neck and have a look. If It's a crack that shows inside you might be able to work in some of the thin epoxy that boat restorers use. The crack would then become a stong point rather than a week point and be totally hidden from view when you're done.

• CMS Author

If you flex the body and neck, do either of the cracks widen? If not, it's likely they're finish cracks. If they widen, they're in the wood, but can be fixed as described already. Just widen the crack, inject glue (get a syringe for this) and apply pressure to the joint for a half hour. Let the glue cure overnight before reassembly.

Or just ask your luthier to do the work for you.

• Members

I tried flexing the neck and couldn't notice any movement, I was being careful though. Will just keep playing and see whether it gets any worse. Interesting that it is similar on both sides.

Thanks guys! I still would like a custom jobbie made one day. Might scope that and then I am prepared. Would love an Alembic cross Ripper style bass, probably with pointy Alembic style 2+2 headstock as opposed to the enlarged Epi 2+2.

Archived