n00b needs heeelp

scheczudio

• Members

Hey all,

I really want to start learning bass, and so I decided I would buy one.

But I don't know anything about bass :confused:

So, does anyone have any suggestions for what I should be looking at? it'd be a great help :)

I'm into funk/rock/jazz-ish type of music, and my budget is around $300.

After looking at reviews and asking around my friends, I was looking at the esp ltd b-50.

thanks

• Members
Hey all,

But I don't know anything about bass
:confused:
So, does anyone have any suggestions for what I should be looking at? it'd be a great help
:)

After looking at reviews and asking around my friends, I was looking at the esp ltd b-50.

thanks

The best thing you can do is take lessons at first....Go to a bass guitar teacher to sign up and ask him his advise on what style you want to learn/play and that you want to spend $300 on a bass. He will know what the best bass is for you that is in your price bracket...Hey he was in your situation at one point in his life so i would imagine he...ahem or she will be able to help you

• Members

ahh i see. do you normally just borrow them from the teacher person at the start?

no...but if your going to buy one...he can suggestion one for you.....I would imagine there are teachers that will let you use a bass. But if your serious enough to sign up for lessons you should be practicing the stuff he teaches you on your own time....which you would need a bass for....lol

• Members

no...but if your going to buy one...he can suggestion one for you.....I would imagine there are teachers that will let you use a bass. But if your serious enough to sign up for lessons you should be practicing the stuff he teaches you on your own time....which you would need a bass for....lol

i guess so...

oh and another question,

What's the best way to learn how to play bass? I guess getting someone to teach you is the best way but if you did, how long would you get them to teach you?

Sorry if I'm asking really stupid questions...

• Members

Assuming money isn't a huge issue, I'd say do the lessons until you don't feel you're learning more from the teacher than you could learn through practice by yourself.

Yea once you get to a point were you can figure out songs on your own why pay for lessons....I mean you could take theory lessons or if you switch to Jazz or something you would probably have to go back to a teacher for a bit....I would say play it by ear and talk to a guitar/bass instructor....dont worry about how long it takes to learn....

• Members

i guess so...

oh and another question,

What's the best way to learn how to play bass? I guess getting someone to teach you is the best way but if you did, how long would you get them to teach you?

Sorry if I'm asking really stupid questions...

No such thing as a stupid question. :)

this is one of the most comprehensive online bass instruction sites I can think of. if you want more links to other sites just PM me because I have {censored}loads but you don't nreed to be overwhelmed with a bunch of websites right now this one has more than enough material and resources you can sink your teeth into.:thu:

http://www.studybass.com/

once you do get a bass and a small practice amp you can go to youtube.com and type in beginner bass lessons in the search browser and there will be plenty of lessons you can start learning with.

you really want to start learning the most basic stuff right now which can actually be done without a bass and that is to learn the positions of the notes on the finger board

You can start learning the major,minor, pentatonic,ect scales by using the Fretboard Printer at studybass.com learning scales and arpeggios is the building blocks of bass lines so learning them is essental and there is no better time than right now to get started.

I would also highly suggest that you read up on m music theroy and studybass.com has a very comprehensive study guide for that as well.

Oh and welcome to the forum :D

• Members
No such thing as a stupid question.
this is one of the most comprehensive online bass instruction sites I can think of. if you want more links to other sites just PM me because I have {censored}loads but you don't nreed to be overwhelmed with a bunch of websites right now this one has more than enough material and resources you can sink your teeth into.
:thu:

http://www.studybass.com/

once you do get a bass and a small practice amp you can go to youtube.com and type in beginner bass lessons in the search browser and there will be plenty of lessons you can start learning with.

you really want to start learning the most basic stuff right now which can actually be done without a bass and that is to learn the positions of the notes on the finger board

You can start learning the major,minor, pentatonic,ect scales by using the
Fretboard Printer at studybass.com
learning scales and arpeggios is the building blocks of bass lines so learning them is essental and there is no better time than right now to get started.

I would also highly suggest that you read up on m music theroy and studybass.com has a very comprehensive study guide for that as well.

Oh and welcome to the forum
:D

ahh i figured how to put things in to quotes now! (i didn't know how i did them)thanks a lot people, and i'll get started on learning the major, minor, pentatonic, etc scales :)

• Members

ahh i figured how to put things in to quotes now! (i didn't know how i did them)

thanks a lot people, and i'll get started on learning the major, minor, pentatonic, etc scales

ahI just thought I would throw this in here while I am at at

go to www.davemarks.com and register there with your user name and password, Joining is free BTW.

he has some video lessons that can get you started working on scales, arpeggios and simple bass lines once you get a bass.

[YOUTUBE]UZ7MfADYRmg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

What's the best way to learn how to play bass?

You may not have the time or the inclination, but the best way to get REALLY good REALLY fast is to practice A LOT.

I got my bass at the start of a set of school holidays, so I woodshedded 6 hours a day, 7 days a week. Got results.

This is an impossible figure for many due to workstudy, but make sure you practice every day. 15 minutes 5 days a week is better than 3 hours one day a week.

• Members

For funk/rock/jazz-ish type stuff, I recommend these....

Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz bass:

416354.jpg

Best bass I've ever played for under $300 (they are $279). I prefer it over the P-bass posted earlier, though that is nice too. But, if you ever intend to slap (which most bassists in funk these days do), then you will probably prefer a Jazz-style bass over a Precision-style bass.

As far as learning goes, take a few lessons until you are capable enough to teach yourself. The teacher will give you a good idea of how a practice regimen should work and ideas for things to work on. Once you understand these things, if you are disciplined enough, it's not very hard to teach yourself. A lot of people get pretty far without ever taking a single lesson, but you can probably speed the process up if you get with a teacher. GOod luck, whatever you decide to do.

• Moderators

Hey all,

But I don't know anything about bass
:confused:
So, does anyone have any suggestions for what I should be looking at? it'd be a great help

thanks

First, where do you live?

Second, for $300 you can get a nice used bass that you can flip for what you paid when you find out what you really need/want in a bass.

Third, I've been giging regularly with bands for over a decade. I give bass lessons informally to a few players. I have numerous books and websites from which I teach myself. However, I still take lessons twice a month. My instructor has a Ph.D in bass performance and he is still taking lessons himself. People stop taking lessons when they are no longer serious about learning everything they can. Think of it this way, Tiger Woods still has and relies heavily on a swing instructor.

• Members
First, where do you live?

Second, for $300 you can get a nice used bass that you can flip for what you paid when you find out what you really need/want in a bass.

Third, I've been giging regularly with bands for over a decade. I give bass lessons informally to a few players. I have numerous books and websites from which I teach myself. However, I still take lessons twice a month. My instructor has a Ph.D in bass performance and he is still taking lessons himself. People stop taking lessons when they are no longer serious about learning everything they can. Think of it this way, Tiger Woods still has and relies heavily on a swing instructor.

well, the place i live is a bit dodgey. it's a little island called tasmania in australia (on the map, it's the southeast-ish little island to the mainland) which means I can't buy things from some sites like musiciansfriend.comand thanks for everyone's opinions on this :)

• Members
+1 for the Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz:

Great playability. Great tone. It's just a classic bass.

Emre

I'm kind of leaning towards the Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz ;)And just one last question, just in case i can't get any of the bass mentioned before, what things should I be looking at when buying bass guitars?

Archived