recommended compressor for both bass and guitar - boss CS3 any good?

animal69

• Members

Hi I play bass as well as guitar and I'm looking for a nice compressor, mostly because my bass volume is really hard to keep in a consistent range. I'm slowly developing good skill at plucking the strings (I use my fingers, not a pick) but, I still have trouble getting a consistent volume and I'm considering a compressor. Would the Boss CS-3 be a good choice? I like the fact that I could use it for guitar as well.

• Members

I was under the impression that optical compressors are the crudest type. Does anyone use this unit for electric guitar also?

I do, for clean solos. Works great, not noisy unless I crank the crap out of it. Out of curiosity, was the information on optical comps from a competitor? ;)

• Members

I tried a big bunch of compressors lately, from very cheap to expensive, from mainstream to obscure boutique items.

Here's what got my vote :

p16183h-2c20c799e56877350dc4cd133df911e9

It's pretty cheap, very silent (compressors tend to hiss), really simple to adjust and can squash your tone like crazy.

It works equally well for bass and guitar and it's green.

Just don't ask it to be discret and subtle, it ain't. It has a tone of its own and sounds great.

• Members

I tried a big bunch of compressors lately, from very cheap to expensive, from mainstream to obscure boutique items.

Here's what got my vote :

p16183h-2c20c799e56877350dc4cd133df911e9

It's pretty cheap, very silent (compressors tend to hiss), really simple to adjust and can squash your tone like crazy.

It works equally well for bass and guitar and it's green.

Just don't ask it to be discret and subtle, it ain't. It has a tone of its own and sounds great.

I just had one of these arrive in the post today, picking it up tomorrow

tz2big.jpg

JazzAd, could you post a couple of clips of your compy? I'm kinda curious to see how it sounds...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived