MURDERDEATHKILL

coyote-1

• Members

No, NOT the silly Stallone-Snipes-Bullock action movie.... I'm talking 56-10.

It wasn't even that close. It could easily have been 63-10 or 70-10, except that the Pats tried not to run up the score. I loved Madden's comment though: "It's not the responsibility of the offense to stop themselves. If you don't want them to score, step up and stop them!"

• Members

It scared me, I can't imagine a world where all restaurants are TacoBell.

Demolition Man was an excellent movie and much more entertaining than another silly Pats slaughter.

But though I'm not a Pats fan, I am taking a perverse pleasure in watching them completely dismantle nearly every team they face.

• Members

... I loved Madden's comment though: "It's not the responsibility of the offense to stop themselves. If you don't want them to score, step up and stop them!"

This was exactly my point in a "Pats running up the score" thread a few weeks ago, and I pretty much got shouted down and vilified for saying it. All sorts of whining about lack of sportsmanship. This is pro sports, folks, not kindergarten, and in my opinion, if they're not playing to the best of their ability, they're ripping off the fans. Sportsmanship means giving an honest effort and playing the game, not worrying about hurting the other teams' sensitive feelings. They're being paid to play the game, not to give the losers a nice soft shoulder to cry on.

• Moderators

It scared me, I can't imagine a world where all restaurants are TacoBell.

But though I'm not a Pats fan, I am taking a perverse pleasure in watching them
completely dismantle
nearly every team they face.

But Taco Bell won the Franchise Wars, John Spartan. I wonder how much Taco Bell paid for that place in the movie.

The Pats won't be on top forever. Payback will take place. It's inevitable.

• Members

I used to compete in triathlons. I was good enough to finish, but I'd typically finish well behind the leaders. Can you imagine the front-runner hanging back so that he doesn't make the 42nd-place finisher look bad??

Cue King Kashue's entrance saying, 'you guys have never played any real sports competitively, so you can't understand the point of not running up a score."

blahblahblah

heh

Everyone does the best they can, and you measure your preparation, talent, and effort by the results.... it's KingKashue that's never really competed.

• Members

When the Pats play Maimi on December 23rd, I kinda hope that NE is still undefeated, and Miami is still winless.

That would have the potential to be one hell of a game.

Of course... NE would probably have benched all their starters if they go into that game undefeated.

• Members

When the Pats play Maimi on December 23rd, I kinda hope that NE is still undefeated, and Miami is still winless.

Of course... NE would probably have benched all their starters if they go into that game undefeated.

It would be kind of ironic if Miami remained winless and the Pats unbeaten.

• Members

Maybe all the starters could have their kids play against Miami.

• Members

all due respect to maroney and eckel....if the patriots just run, its a 3 and out situation...thats not trying...just fooling around, punting, stopping the oppostion, fooling around, punting, etc...

i assume that everyone also hates the 85 bears for beating the patriots silly in the superbowl....

• Members

Again, how does burning the clock by staying on the ground and getting first downs equal not trying?
:confused:

If they're not trying to score, they're not playing the game they way it was meant to be played. I can understand eating up the clock to protect a narrow lead as a tactic, but in a blowout, it's just plain stupid, and makes the game tedious and boring to watch.

• Members

If they're not trying to score, they're not playing the game they way it was meant to be played. I can understand eating up the clock to protect a narrow lead as a tactic, but in a blowout, it's just plain stupid, and makes the game tedious and boring to watch.

If you can keep the clock running, it ends the game, quickly. I personally have zero interest in watching a blowout. I was playing last night but, if I was home, the game would have gone off after the Pats first five possessions.

• Members

If you can keep the clock running, it ends the game, quickly. I personally have zero interest in watching a blowout. I was playing last night but, if I was home, the game would have gone off after the Pats first five possessions.

So you'd rather watch one of those excruciatingly boring games where one team builds a good lead and then simply "ball controls" it to death? I've never understood why anyone thought that was entertaining. If they keep playing, at least something interesting to watch might happen. Once a team with a lead starts doing that stuff, I won't be watching the rest of the game, and probably won't be watching any more of their games for the season.

If you were watching a movie, would you sit through the whole thing if the actors just decided they had "built a big enough lead" and stopped acting halfway through?

• Members

So you'd rather watch one of those excruciatingly boring games where one team builds a good lead and then simply "ball controls" it to death? I've never understood why anyone thought that was entertaining. If they keep playing, at least something interesting to watch might happen. Once a team with a lead starts doing that stuff, I won't be watching the rest of the game, and probably won't be watching any more of their games for the season.

I like to watch competitive games and good play on both sides. Blowouts don't give me either of those so, unless I really don't like the team who's clock is getting clean, I'll turn it off once the game has been decided. Again, the cool things about the clock being run down are that there's always this little voice in the back of my head that says the team has a chance and the game ends much more quickly than a blowout.

Archived