Way OT: How do you get rid of pickle odor?

Emprov

• Members

So I'm going to be making some Limoncello and I have this huge pickle jar. The lid though has this really nasty pickle smell that I'd rather not make its way into the drink. I've tried bleach, baking soda and now it's soaking in vinegar. Anyone have any other ideas?

• Members

Or get a new jar, ya cheap bastage:mad:
:mad:

Man, you have no idea how hard I tried to find a gallon jar. After about three weeks of looking, I saw this big ol' jar full of pickles in Costco and score! Didn't think about the lid thing. Bugs me because I have Everclear and a bunch of lemons waiting for a clean smelling lid. I'll check out the vanilla, thanks!

• Members
So I'm going to be making some Limoncello and I have this huge pickle jar. The lid though has this really nasty pickle smell that I'd rather not make its way into the drink. I've tried bleach, baking soda and now it's soaking in vinegar. Anyone have any other ideas?

just watch out where yah put yer pickle dummie

• Members

I was going to recommend baking soda as well. Also, there's "washing soda", which is a stronger cleaning / deodorizing agent (sodium carbonate rather than sodium bicarbonate).

But I think a layer of plastic wrap is your best bet.

I've already made baking soda paste and let it sit for a while, no difference. Saran Wrap it is...

• Members

Try soaking it in ammonia? Pickle juice is acidic so maybe something basic (ammonia) will take it out. Soak it in pure ammonia for a day. Then in water or the dish washer.

Archived