PA Questions...

chunky-b

• Members

I might should post this in the PA thread, but I don't know any them peoples... :)

I just came into posession of two portable PA amps. One is an ancient Peavey 4 channel from the 70's and one is a Yorkville 6 channel mixer amp. I think the yorkville is like 300w? The Yorkville I would like to use for vocals, PA, and other uses from time to time, but some of the pots are really scratchy. I was able to find a PDF of the user and service manual online. I found the same model for sale on ebay for around $300+ and mine was free. Is it worth me trying to replace pots and fix up for use? Does anyone have any experience with these old mixer amps?

Thanks.

• Members

I might should post this in the PA thread, but I don't know any them peoples...
:)

I just came into posession of two portable PA amps. One is an ancient Peavey 4 channel from the 70's and one is a Yorkville 6 channel mixer amp. I think the yorkville is like 300w? The Yorkville I would like to use for vocals, PA, and other uses from time to time, but some of the pots are really scratchy. I was able to find a PDF of the user and service manual online. I found the same model for sale on ebay for around $300+ and mine was free. Is it worth me trying to replace pots and fix up for use? Does anyone have any experience with these old mixer amps?

Thanks.

I have never used a powered mixer, but, the yorkville is most likely worth fixing. You might try repeatedly operating the scratchy pots and see if they clean up. Otherwise, you could try de-oxit to clean them. If they are lubricated pots, the cleaner will remove the lube and they will wear out. The PA people, Craigv included will most likely give you a better answer.

• Members

I You might try repeatedly operating the scratchy pots and see if they clean up.

+1

ive been told that scratchy pots are caused by dust and repeatedly twisting them helps work the dust out. the explanation might be crap, but it works for me.

• Members

it works, but is usually a sign that you should get some pot/contact cleaner. I just told the assistant stage manager to buy a can, our power amp has a nasty dirty attenuator and is not letting my adjust, it's all or nothing, so tomorrow after the show I'm going to clean it (the catwalk area that the amps live in is a dusty place.....)

• Members

Thanks. I'll head to the shack and try a can of cleaner. I played with the knobs yesterday for awhile and it didn't make a lot of difference. Also, I had it running with just a line in from my ipod and at random times it sounded like the volume jumped and then faded without me touching it. It has not been used for awhile so it may just need exercising and cleaning...

Thanks.

Archived