Bass Wars #8: Fat Mike VS Mark Hoppus

DevilRaysFan

• Members

I voted Fat Mike, but I think you could've picked better punk bassists to compare (especially better than Hoppus). Looks like you're comparing 90's punk bassists, so what about say... Matt Freeman for one?

Trust me, If I was going to pick punk bass players from my personal tastes, then Id pick John Berry (Rufio) VS Chris #2 (AntiFlag)....The truth is, theres a bunch of killer punk bassists...Im just going by guys I have seen mentioned in the HCBF threads...and, yeah, I guess I couldve probably done Matt Freeman because I have been using "contemporaries" as a matchup parameter......

edit: come to think of it, youre right--fat mike vs matt freeman would have been a better match

• Members

Trust me, If I was going to pick punk bass players from my personal tastes, then Id pick John Berry (Rufio) VS Chris #2 (AntiFlag)....The truth is, theres a bunch of killer punk bassists...Im just going by guys I have seen mentioned in the HCBF threads...and, yeah, I guess I couldve probably done Matt Freeman because I have been using "contemporaries" as a matchup parameter......

edit: come to think of it, youre right--fat mike vs matt freeman would have been a better match

Yea, no worries I just was confused mostly by having Mark Hoppus in the poll as well :lol:

• Members

Might surprise you but I prefer Hoppus, as a bassist he kinda sucks and has never (and never will, imo) attempt anything which could be considered technically proficient...

why?

Because he is brilliant at what he does, simple yet powerful pop punk melodies and Blink was a big part of gen X, NOFX? Not in the UK anyway, very small punk band in comparison.

I'm not saying Blink or even +44 are a better band, i'm just saying I can listen to their childish banter all day, NOFX starts to piss me off if I listen for to long.

But yeah... they both suck really :p

• Members

I prefer Hoppus much more.

His lines are separate to one another, and I can recall a lot of them. I've listened to a lot of NOFX, and... I couldn't recall one of the lines I heard, as I sit in this chair.

Yep, there is a reason why Blink were so popular and it wasn't down to tom delonge... travis barker was a superb drummer though.

• Members

Yep, there is a reason why Blink were so popular and it wasn't down to tom delonge... travis barker was a superb drummer though.

Yeah, Barker's definitely the best punk drummer I've heard. I never really saw it until a year or so ago, but my brother's admired Travis' playing since he started playing drums.

Archived