Bass Wars #9: John Taylor VS Bernard Edwards

DevilRaysFan

• Members

Damn. This is a really tough one. I love both those guys. Both made major contributions to the bass. I think Bernie was always more funky and smoother. He laid back more.

In the end, I'm going to go with JT just because I grew up in the 80's and he was one of the first bass players that really stood out for me and showed what the bass could do. I guess I was more strongly influenced by him in my early days, though Bernie is a bigger influence these days.

Emre

• Moderators

I love both guys. Who doesn't remember Le Freak? Great groove. From a production standpoint Edwards had more impact. I voted Taylor because Edwards picked Taylor to be part of PowerStation. Obviously he was impressed with Taylor and liked him enough to bequeath him a bass. Good grief, Stormtrooper. These are some really tough choices you're throwing up in these brackets!!

• Members
JT is prolly my biggest electric bass guitar influence. However, his style wouldn't have existed as we know it w/o BE.

I'm still voting JT, simply because BE's influence on me, although huge, was indirect.

Edwards. Just listen to "Everybody Dance", and you'll see why!

Archived