Drive Elite bass amps/cabs/combos

Marthoyink

• Members

For some reason those linked Drive items have no reviews on MF, but there are other Drive amps on there that do -- check em out. Reviews on MF really run the gamut ("poor" - "good"; never or rarely "Great") [havent' checked HC reviews lately] Apparently one of the issues is Sudden Death of the unit. Sound quality doesn't get raves, but is often called "suprisingly good" or "good esp. for the price".

That said, I bought two Drive guitar amps (EA30 acoustic combo; and G65 DSP 12" combo; both on clearance at MF) about 2-3 years ago and have been pleased and well-served by them.

drive-g65dsp.jpg

G65 DSP

I don't have terribly discriminating tastes in amp sound quality but I think they're great for what I bought them for (practice rigs) and they have not malfunctioned or let me down in any way. [i also haven't pushed the hell out of em; And I take care of my equipment.] I wouldn't hesitate to use either at a small bar/type gig if I was good enough to perform out on the guitar. (but hey, that doesn't stop me with bass, does it)

IMhO the tone and effects are decent but not great; maybe better than I expected, even, considering the price and that it's obviously a "budget" line of equipment; I wasn't expecting the world out of them. I think that more experienced players probably wouldn't be too happy with them once they've developed an ear for the tone of better amps, but they'll do, in my opinion.

I had not used the little EA30 acoustic amp much until recently. Sometimes we practice at the lead player's tiny one-room apt. (we can't play loud there) and we've been using it as a little PA for the guit/singer (it has an xlr input; and a piezo) and it works fine for that, and, again, hasn't developed any issues (yet, heh).

EA30_VR_SIDE-7151c666886664b627d3ca95ed8

EA-30 acoustic

Not sure I'd buy em again for several personal reasons (I've moved on, etc.) but I don't regret getting them.

I'd guess that overall it might be a coin toss as to whether you get a good one (hey, maybe they just had some bad prod'n runs and made some real Luggers); beyond that, consider the price and their niche -- they're not really out to compete with the big boys in any category except price.

• Members

I picked up a Drive G35 [looks like the EA-30 acoustic] used a while back for $80. It's a 35 watt SS guitar amp with 2 channels, 4 x 5" speakers, particle board construction and DSP effects.

The amplifier part of it is actually quite good, all things considered, when driving descent speakers. DSP is serviceable but the high-end hiss precludes it from recording applications. There was some cabinet "buzz" requiring me to stuff a bunch of window sealer between components, and the speakers that came with it were less than stellar. I replaced 2 of them and am quite happy with it as a knock-around, coffee-shop, practice amp, grab-n-go type of thang. The remaining 2 stock speakers frap out when it's dimed, but if I need that kind of volume I have other amps.

• Members

used a while back for $80. It's a 35 watt SS guitar amp with 2 channels, 4 x 5" speakers, particle board construction and DSP effects.

Sounds like one on sale now at the Fiend . . . is this it? This doesn't appear to have DSP http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Drive-Vintage-G35V-35w-4x5-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481632

but this 35 does; it's like my G65: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Drive-G35-DSP-35w-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481626

• Members

Wow - $40 for that 4 x 5 - now I'm depressed. I thought I got a deal at $80 LOL.

Here's one at 123 for only $29!

http://www.music123.com/Drive-CD300-30W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-480392-i1145329.Music123

Mine looks to be the electronics of the second one [mine has a 4 band EQ, not 3] in the chassis of the first one.

If I was buying new, I'd get an acoustic - probably this one:

264987.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Drive-EA15V-2x5-15W-Acoustic-Combo-Amp?sku=480395

Their bass stuff looks pretty sick for the money. Especially the heads, as their electronics appear to be their strong suit - based on my limited experience. I would want to test a high wattage cab - especially one for bass - before I spend any money though, just to make sure it's built well enough to not blow apart under heavy use.

• Members

+1
:cop:

Yeah - if you're semi-pro and above, take a pass, but if you're just starting out there are worst ways to spend your money. I have one, taken it apart and put it back together a couple of times and have used it for over a year now, and for what it is and what it cost I don't have a problem recommending them.

• Members

Backline? I think not. I was seriously looking at the Backline 210. Made a special trip to the store to check one out. $500 and heavy as hell. Dialed in an okay sound at low levels but anything over 1/2 volume and the speakers were frapping all over the place. Would have been descent if I was willing to shell out for some new drivers, but couldn't see the point as that would have put me into Microbass territory, price-wise. I was quite disappointed with the engineering - if they can't match the speakers to the amp for a combo, what else are they not doing?

• Members

Backline? I think not. I was seriously looking at the Backline 210. Made a special trip to the store to check one out. $500 and heavy as hell. Dialed in an okay sound at low levels but anything over 1/2 volume and the speakers were frapping all over the place. Would have been descent if I was willing to shell out for some new drivers, but couldn't see the point as that would have put me into Microbass territory, price-wise. I was quite disappointed with the engineering - if they can't match the speakers to the amp for a combo, what else are they not doing?

not the cabs... the head... it sells for 300$ on MF

for a cab, i'd get something else...

Archived