GASing hard...

xOriginalNinjax

• Members

I'm REALLY loving my current main bass' tone...so I want one to back it up perfectly...if not do a better job...and since it's a discontinued model, I think I'm gonna get a Warmoth custom bass made...I know the pickups, but the pre-amp is kind of lost on me right now...as I've never really shopped for pre's. Here's what I'm thinking...

Warmoth Swamp Ash Dinky J body rear-routed w/ a quilted maple top and blueburst finish

Seymour Duncan Jazz and MM pickups

either a Gotoh 201 or Badass II bridge

possibly an Aggie pre (not sure since I've never heard the differences)

Warmoth Jazz profiled neck with either a Fender-style or Gecko headstock (with a quilted maple blueburst headstock)

whichever tuners will fit the chosen headstock

I haven't decided whether to go with chrome or black hardware...I'm not sure...it depends on the fretboard I suppose...overall this project looks like about $1300 shipped...and then a weekend in Chicago to get everything running perfectly ;)

but here's a pic of what the body would look like...

BP367a.jpg

I'm also REALLY wanting a JAF Eidas....seriously bad...:( this stinks. Haha. Thankfully I'm perfectly happy with my amp! That's a good thing I suppose. Now to just get that Peterson Stroborack and X2 rackmount wireless...

• Members

I like how you think. I would love to help you put that together and make it PERFECT.

Honestly, I think only your hands could make any of the basses I play perfect...at least in the general area...you just do it all so amazingly. I loves it. Probably won't be till Spring, but I promise you, I'll own a Warmoth...haha.

• Members

The JMM pup combo really is my all time favourite, i'm sure you will love it :) i'm looking at the 44 - 02 as well, I like the tone but not the body... but that is OT.

I already have all the details for my warmoth build thanks to kindness :thu: but I will be going for a vintage Jazz sound and look.

The DJ5 has pushed it right back (unless for some reason I despise it when it finally arrives), so now I have a few other basses I would like to add to my collection before the WM Jazz, I am looking at getting it around Autumn next year, just before I go back to University.

I think a warmoth is the the closest I would ever go to fully custom.

• Members

The JMM pup combo really is my all time favourite, i'm sure you will love it
:)
i'm looking at the 44 - 02 as well, I like the tone but not the body... but that is OT.

I already have all the details for my warmoth build thanks to kindness
:thu:
but I will be going for a vintage Jazz sound and look.

The DJ5 has pushed it right back (unless for some reason I despise it when it finally arrives), so now I have a few other basses I would like to add to my collection before the WM Jazz, I am looking at getting it around Autumn next year, just before I go back to University.

I think a warmoth is the the closest I would ever go to fully custom.

Yeah, my Fullerton has a J/MM setup. The MM is ACTUALLY a music man pickup now too, thanks to Sultan417. But seriously...I know what I want for the body, like everything except hardware color...but the neck I'm SOOO lost on what I want to do...:( I mean, is there a noticeable difference in tone between maple f-board and pau ferro? Will I like a maple board? I love pau ferro...there's that decision...haha. But I don't know which headstock I like better...:( haha

• Members

You could always swap it out if you didn't like it?

Or maybe buy a couple of necks, fretless as well... not sure how much good all that undoing and tightening will do though, cross threading would be a nightmare as well.

Basically, it's just a matter of headstocks...

I love pau ferro boards, there's no mistaking that. So that's what I'm gonna go with.

I just don't know if the warmoth head will work or if it'll be too light and not balance the bass well...I know the sustain should theoretically be better since it is an angled headstock...but...will it still be as comfy with how it sits?

• Members

It's always going to be a problem when putting a bass together without playing it or at least handling it before buying it, since you are using a jazz type body which is one of the larger types... I wouldn't say there would be a problem, do you know the body width and wood type you are going for?

A nice big, high quality strap will also help plus locating the strap locks yourself will also be a bonus if you know how you want to wear it.

Try working on everyone's instruments and amps...

Nahh that would just end up with a load of lawsuits for fudgeing up peoples gear and having no money for my own stuff ;)

• Members

It's always going to be a problem when putting a bass together without playing it or at least handling it before buying it, since you are using a jazz type body which is one of the larger types... I wouldn't say there would be a problem, do you know the body width and wood type you are going for?

A nice big, high quality strap will also help plus locating the strap locks yourself will also be a bonus if you know how you want to wear it.

Well, I know THAT...haha. I'm going for the dinky J, which I have NO idea what the width is, but it's the same as my standard jazz...but I'm going for swamp ash, which is a bit lighter weight wood compared to my alder jazz...or should be...you do have a good point on the locks though as I could move the one by the bridge to keep from having any neck dive (potentially), but I can't stand anything but the standard width straps...dunno why.

• Members

Have no balancing fears with the Warmoth angled headstock, it's a great neck and balances well even on my Explorer. In fact my next Warmoth will have it as well. Also, the build quality is noticibly better than the one Jaf I've looked over. No offense to Jaf, but it is in a better league. That does not mean the bass won't sound better or play better though, so take it with a grain of salt. Personally though, I'm not sure a Pau Fero board would match up well with a Blue Burst finish visually, but that's just opinion. I can say that a Warmoth spec bass has the potential to be your perfect bass, if you know exactly what you want and are not straying too far from convention. Even if the end result is not exactly what you thought they will be fairly easy to mod with standard sized pups and hardware. I say go for it, and make yourself one spectacular bass. As long as you're going the Warmoth route, go all the way and end up with a one-of-a-kind special bass. You certainly don't want to pay the high price to just end up with a Fender clone. Make it a fantastic bass!:thu:

• Members

Each to their own

Well, if you want a Fender a Warmoth equivelent will end up costing much more, so why not just get the real thing? Go Warmoth and go all out, or else save some money and get a production bass. Warmoth parts cost too much, and the gains are too little to justify if you are actually seeking out a true Fender bass.

• Members

Fair enough. Look at my Warmoth's and you'd know I'm of a
slightly
different philosophy.
;)

Yeah, since I'm wanting a J/MM setup, that already throws me out of the majority of production basses...sadly. Add in the blueburst finish...and you understand why it is that I'm going with Warmoth. What color would you recommend for a blueburst body and headstock, oh mighty Terminator? ;) Haha. I honestly have never played a maple neck to know if I like the feel of it...is it that much different than a rosewood or pau ferro neck in feel and tone? If not, then I'm up for it...if that's what you'd think...oh, and thanks for the info on the headstock...that'll work best too I think, though it may take a little getting used to on a jazz body...

• Members

Yeah, since I'm wanting a J/MM setup, that already throws me out of the majority of production basses...sadly. Add in the blueburst finish...and you understand why it is that I'm going with Warmoth.

That's a good reason to go with Warmoth, but USA Custom Guitar's is also a good contender. To be honest, I just held up my blue Warmoth to my Pau Fero neck bass and to my eye at least it kind of clashes. This is only one opinion though. I do think the Pau Fero would probably sound a little better for my ideal tone, less bright than a maple neck. My maple neck Warmoth could use to be a little warmer and less bright sounding. Here's a couple pics of the dinky J Warmoth I drooled over just for kicks...

This body:

bluefront1.jpg

And this neck:

tapedheadstockblue.jpg

Archived