Cable or dish?

bassman1956

• Members

Does the dish that's mounted on the roof determine the company? Say if I went with the wrong company, would I wind up having to get someone else's dish installed $$?

Last I knew...yes...unfortunately. DTV uses 3 LNB's on their dishes (the thing that sticks out from the dish)...Dish Network only uses 2...

DTV also uses an ovular dish...and Dish Net uses a round

• Members

DirecTV.

I switched from Comcast about 4 years ago, and I never looked back. Great customer service, and great programming. I can't wait til they offer 100+ HD channels.

PS. You don't have to hook up a phoneline to your receiver. It makes PPV ordering easier, but if I have to order PPV, I'd just go on directv.com.

• Members

How are local channels handled with the dish?

This was an issue a few years ago, but they don't even advertise it anymore b/c you can get them.

But if you're referring to like "what" local channels you get, you get it from your closest large city. I used to get my local news from Bryan/ College Station, and now it's out of Houston. Not a huge deal, but still that's how it works at least around here.

• Members

How are local channels handled with the dish?

It depends on the area I think. They do offer them, but not all of them. For example, Dish Net has YES...but DTV doesn't. Yes isn't exactly a local channel, but it's close enough over here! Also...in the tri-state area, we get NY local channels over cable too...and I don't think Dish or DTV gives them to us.

• Members

I'm not sure what you mean by
handled
, they're just on there with the rest of the channels.

Really? For us, when we had it (as recent as this summer), we had to turn the receiver off to get the local 2, 5, 7 & 9 channels, like ABC, CBS, FOX, etc. That really sucked, because the reception was horrible since there was no real antenna.

• Moderators
I'm not sure what you mean by
handled
, they're just on there with the rest of the channels.

That was one of the issues with satellite when the dishes first came out. You couldn't get access to your local network affiliates, so you had to click off the dish and find some other way of amplifying the local signals to get NBC, CBS and ABC channels. I take it that has changed then?

• Members

I switched to DirecTV about 6 months ago because cable kept hiking prices up every 6 months and the picture quality was {censored}ing horrible! Overall me and the wife both love satellite. The only time it gets iffy is when it is raining. Any rain at all and there are certain channels that you just can't get. You basically have to find the channel that isn't geeking out and watch whatever it is, or watch a DVD or something you recorded (if you have DVR). It isn't a huge inconvenience but it is there if you have rain or snow. Wind doesn't affect it at all. The picture quality is outstanding, CS has been good so far and when they launch their HD channels we will be upgrading.

I don't think I will .ever go back to cable..just too expensive for {censored}ty cable.

Dan

• Members

They already have. They're up to 70 HD channels now I think with 30 more due by the end of the year. You're missing it dude!

I'm waiting for the local channels here and the rest of their HD lineup before I upgrade because it will be a bit pricey with the new HD box.

Dan

• Members

We only get 10 HD channels, if that. Direct TV has more??? What is your overall bill?

I'm really worried about the weather though and the wind. Like I said in a previous post we had it up north at our cabin and it was really hellish trying to get a signal on a crappy day. That was Dish network.

• Members

Using Dish Network here.

I have also had DirectTV. Both are better than Cox Cable in my market and comparable to each other.

That said I use Cox for internet and phone. (They had to replace all sorts of cable to get the phone working right)

As far as picture quality, so far nothing has beaten my roof antenna picking up local digital HD. The local stations broadcast uncompressed digital streams whereas the sat and cable companies have to compress their signals because of bandwidth restraints.

The only time I lose satellite signal is during a HEAVY downpour. Then I switch to a local station to see wazzup.

• Members

Switched from Digital Cable to DirecTV about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. We bought our box for $99 and I dumped another drive into it, giving us about 200 hrs of space for the DVR. The first thing that we noticed when we first switched was the difference in sound. Comcast was ok, but DTV was so much more clear that it made us both go "wow". Picture quality was also, much, much improved. That was over Comcast about 3 years ago, things may have changed since then.

• Members

DirecTV. You can
or eBay and then you won't have to do a contract with them.

Don't know if it works the same way as Dish, but with a used Dish receiver you've got to be damn careful the receiver doesn't have a balance due on it - like where the seller didn't pay their bill. If it does they won't activate the receiver until the bill is paid.

I've had Dish for about three years now. I'd never go back to cable.

Archived