Cable or dish?

bassman1956

• Members

Hey all,

The new place gives me a choice of what to get. The last owner was set up with dish, had a splitter and 2 different boxes. The dish remains on the roof, so all I need is the box and a contract. Cable used to be run to the house, so it's at a nearby pole, and can be hooked up to the same connection outside.

I've been using Comcast cable for the last several years. It's around $65/mo for basic but not barebones cable, IE, I get anything that's not pay or HD. About 50 channels total that I use, or about 60 total I can get. They're lowering the number of channels as they push things to upper-tier packages and HD, and they use so much satelite transmission that I get the satelite flaws they advertise you don't get with cable anyways.

Have a 27" CRT now, aiming at upgrading to a 40" flatscreen in the next year, may as well plan for HD now too.

No idea what a dish package will run me. Upgrading the cable will make it around $100/mo.

Pros and cons, anyone?

• Members

I had Dish for a few months. Their equipment was so unreliable and their customer service so bad I fired them with 9 months left on my contract. They said I'd have to pay the remainder of my contract. Fine, I told them, it would be worth any price to get their {censored}ty equipment out of my house.

I went back to DirecTV and I gots no problems or complaints.

• Members

Coming from you, I can't tell if you're being a smartass or not, but I'll answer succinctly anyhow-

and yes, it does. By far.
:)

Nope, not being a smartass, just asking an honest question. So is that because satellite has more HD content, or is the picture even better for comparable non-HD content?

I really don't have much personal experience with dish systems, and I'm somewhat curious, as I'm getting fed up with my cable bill.

• Members

With the crappy weather we have here in Chicago I would not recommend the dish. We have one up at the summer house in Wisconsin and it's annoying as hell every time it rains, snows, storms, wind, whatever. No signal, no tv.

We have WOW and really like it. 80 a month for the HBO/HD/DVR package.

• Members

Nope, not being a smartass, just asking an honest question. So is that because satellite has more HD content, or is the picture even better for comparable non-HD content?

I really don't have much personal experience with dish systems, and I'm somewhat curious, as I'm getting fed up with my cable bill.

Well my problem was/is, even when I had "digital" cable in college through Time-Warner, it wasn't digital. Only the movie channels and a few sports channels were digital. I'd plug my TV straight into the wall instead of the box through a coax, and the picture would still be grainy and vary from channel to channel, even though the box. Kinda useless.

On my DirecTV, even non-HD channels are all the same quality and picture and look great. I'll be upgrading to an HD-DVR over Christmas, as they're set to release 100+ HD channels by Jan, which is exciting. :)

• Members

Regarding the HD issue......it'll all be in HD format shortly. If you don't have a HD ready TV, you'll have to rent a box with a step down.

What was it, by 2010, 2011, they said? Still a good while to wait while there's good stuff out there now.

• Members

From me...a satellite professional (take that however you want)...

Cable = Expensive these days. Comparable Dish Net or DirecTV packages are much cheaper. The equipment on either side is exactly the same with reliability. The only difference is with a dish, you have some things to contend with like trees, hills, or sometimes weather.

Personally, if I was doing it, I'd go dish...there are more programming options and it's usually cheaper. I wouldn't worry about equipment. DTV and Dish pretty much use the same stuff, just different birds in the sky.

Picture quality on both dish or cable is very comparable. Neither is really better or worse.

Cable: It depends how far away you are from the headend, what kind of physical cable you are using (in this case...it really matters), what kind and how many splitters you've got, and even the ends on the cable...

Satellite: Pretty much the same factors as cable, but add in signal quality form the satellite. If your dish isn't peaked properly, you're going to get a {censored}ty picture.

• Members
What was it, by 2010, 2011, they said? Still a good while to wait while there's good stuff out there now.

Yeah but I think the changeover will happen way before then. I think those are deadline dates. You know some areas are still in the backwoods! Gonna take them some time.

• Members

I'd say run the numbers, but run ALL the numbers, and get the "regular, post-promotional" prices to do it. Also, add in phone and internet. Consider that cable gives you the fastest internet. VOIP vs. land line is about even after the promotional time is over. DSL is much cheaper than cable internet service after the promotion is over. Eventually, all providers will carry HD services to much the same degree, and it will all be digital by 2009 anyway (but digital does not equal HD). Be sure to factor in how easy it is to get ahold of service, and how good that service is. I found it easy to get in touch with the satellite services, but they are unwilling to budge from their set in stone policies (they would rather lose a long term customer rather than equaling a new customer set up for free offer after lightning strike burnt out my entire system). On the other hand, where I'm located, the only sound you hear when you call cable service is the busy signal.

• Members

We had both DirecTv and Digital Cable with our Sony HDTV since we moved into the new house 5 years ago. Both of which sucked it.

About a year ago Verizon FIOS fiber optic service became available in our neighborhood and we switched. Exponentially better clarity for both HD and especially non-HD channels when compared to both Sat and cable. Not to mention faster internet and much cheaper pricing. We now only pay $95 a month for TV, 20MB internet, and digital phone. With an additional cost for each box. The Dual HD DVR is 10 bucks a month and well worth it IMO.

If FIOS is an option, I'd jump on it before any of the other alternatives mentioned here for both cost and quality.

• Members

We had both DirecTv and Digital Cable with our Sony HDTV since we moved into the new house 5 years ago. Both of which sucked it.

About a year ago Verizon FIOS fiber optic service became available in our neighborhood and we switched. Exponentially better clarity for both HD and especially non-HD channels when compared to both Sat and cable. Not to mention faster internet and much cheaper pricing. We now only pay $95 a month for TV, 20MB internet, and digital phone. With an additional cost for each box. The Dual HD DVR is 10 bucks a month and well worth it IMO.

If FIOS is an option, I'd jump on it before any of the other alternatives mentioned here for both cost and quality.

I've heard of that, but not seen it advertised as much. I wonder if it's going to significantly challenge the other two mediums?

• Members

As you can see, there are a lot of factors that come into play in the decision of dish vs. cable. In my town the only reliable broadband is cable. Couple that with the enormous amount of TVs we have in the house, and the extra equipment and monthly fees we'd have to pay to get channels on each TV, rules out the possibility of any dish service. So it's cable for us. And I'm happy with the service and support I've gotten from them. (Time Warner btw.)

• Members

"I've heard of that, but not seen it advertised as much. I wonder if it's going to significantly challenge the other two mediums?"

I think it would have to as the cost of both DTv and Cable after the initial promotional period was a god-damned crime and drove our switching to fiber optic. With FIOS we not only get better quality at an insanely lower price during the promotion period, but after our agreement is up, the price for TV, interent, and phone is still less then the promotional prices we were paying with the big 2 before FIOS was available and not going to change.

I think it supposed to be nationwide sooner then later, but don't quote me on that.

• Members

Ah ok, but again that's just for digital transmission- not full HD right?

Right. I don't have any HD stuff here...it's all in our Florida headend, so I don;t really keep up with it too much.

If all goes well and I get the new job I applied for, I'll be dealing with HD trans/receive for the largest sports network in the world. Fun!

Archived