What do we all think of the SVT 3? Or the SVT 450H?

squish_man24

• Members

ampeg_svt3pro.jpg

Anyone used it?

Anyone like it?

Anyone have a sound clip?

Thoughts?

Pretty sure I might be able to pick one of these up for just over $600 CAD, plus shipping...

OR:

SVT450H.JPG

I can pick up an SVT450H for just over $530 CAD plus shipping, but then i would have 2 empty rack spaces, and no money to fill them!

Ideas?

• Members

Did you miss out on the M-Pulse 360 auction, I take it? :)

The 3-Pro can work out in a pinch, if you have to have it. It's a tad underpowered (I personally don't believe it puts out the 450W it claims). I've had 2, and they were just temps while I was in college, and saving up for a better rig. Not something I enjoyed long-term or would buy again.

I have no comment on the 450, or what it is.

But depends on your needs. The tone is your typical Ampeg thing, which is alright I guess. It was the only amp I wouldn't take a DI out of, instead just use a DI right from my bass -> fx, FWIW.

Are your prices new? Do you have to buy new?

• Members

The SVT3 is a very decent amp overall if you want that Ampeg sound. For some reason, the SVT4 sounds better to me. :idk:

As for the 450H...I really have NO interest in the beast. First off, I've never heard anything good about it. I mean, if you want the Ampeg sound in a convenient package, that's what the SVT 3 & 4 are for. Otherwise, if you really want THE Ampeg sound, get a Classic or SVTII.

The correct answer, if you want a hybrid head, is Genz Benz.

• Members

That's exactly what I thought when I tried one. Definitely didn't seem anywhere near as loud as something like a Trace or Peavey of similar power rating

I think guys like SWR and Ampeg overstated just a tad.

Trace just flat out LIES (but in a good way! :D). I had a 300H hybrid, rated at 280W, and that thing gave the QSC3402 I had at the time (one channel at 1100W) a run for it's money.

I need to get a Trace again sometime. They're just pretty dang rad.

• Members

Did you miss out on the M-Pulse 360 auction, I take it?
:)

The 3-Pro can work out in a pinch, if you have to have it. It's a tad underpowered (I personally don't believe it puts out the 450W it claims). I've had 2, and they were just temps while I was in college, and saving up for a better rig. Not something I enjoyed long-term or would buy again.

I have no comment on the 450, or what it is.

But depends on your needs. The tone is your typical Ampeg thing, which is alright I guess. It was the only amp I wouldn't take a DI out of, instead just use a DI right from my bass -> fx, FWIW.

Are your prices new? Do you have to buy new?

Yeah, I missed on the 360, I was a bit sad, but I'm looking for newer things. A lot of the sounds of basses that I love from bands I listen to, use ampeg. But since they usually use the most expensive rigs, I was wondering if the lower priced versions would get me the same sort of sound! I want sort of a mechanical sound to my bass... something like the song Miss Murder by AFI, but maybe a bit less bass and distortion, and more mids?? I don't know... it's hard to describe...other than mechanical...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

The bass is after the big techno beat just so you know

If You Can't See The Video!

The closest bass that I've heard to my tone is the bass found in the song, "Asleep on the Front Lines" by The Bled... if people want to download that song, and let me know if I can achieve that tone with the SVT 3 (for those of you who have the experience with it!

• Members

Did you miss out on the M-Pulse 360 auction, I take it?
:)

The 3-Pro can work out in a pinch, if you have to have it.
It's a tad underpowered
(I personally don't believe it puts out the 450W it claims).

How true. I owned one in the past and played a festival with a Fleetwood Mac tribute band and couldn't get hardly any power from the thing. Of course I over-compensated and got an Aggie DB750 but at least I'll never have any guitard players hide my sound again!!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa1!!!!!

(evil scientist laugh)

;)

Mr. Matt

• Members

I used an SVTIII Pro for a couple of years. Nice thick tone and it really played nice when I swapped out all the tubes for some Electro Harmonix. To my ears, it's one of the best-sounding Ampeg hybrid amps. I don't think it was the absolute best match with my Peavey 115BVX BW that I was running at the time.

The footswitchable EQ/Boost was a good idea which I actually didn't use that much.

I switched to a Genz Benz GBE600 which I found louder and punchier.

It's a good, solid amp that you might find yourself to be quite happy with.

Archived