Well, this really sucks...

L-1329

• Members

I've been waiting for 1 1/2 months for AllParts to get a correctly sized ABM roller bridge, and they just told me ABM had just gone out of business!:mad: I have two basses I was planning on that bridge for, and now I'm really back to square one with no options. I swear I have some kind of a parts sourcing/project jinx on me, this stuff should NOT have to be this much of a PITA.

:(

• Members

Damn that sucks. You ain't having the best luck with this are ya?
:(

Are you sure ABM are gone out of business? Their website is still up with no news about that in their news section. You could shoot them an email?

http://www.abm-mueller.com

Just going off of what AllParts said, that one of the family had died and they closed up shop. Regardless, they won't get in any more ABM parts from this point on. What really sucks is I committed a lot of specs to an 18mm spaced bridge, and now finding a replacement is going to be really tough.

• Members

I've been waiting for 1 1/2 months for AllParts to get a correctly sized ABM roller bridge, and
they just told me ABM had just gone out of business!
:mad:

Yeah, this was big news in the Steinberger community last month. They were one of the biggest (and maybe the last) suppliers of headless instrument hardware.

Emre

• Members

Just going off of what AllParts said, that one of the family had died and they closed up shop. Regardless, they won't get in any more ABM parts from this point on. What really sucks is I committed a lot of specs to an 18mm spaced bridge, and now finding a replacement is going to be really tough.

You could always go with Gotoh, their 4 string bridges are 19mm.

http://www.hosco.co.jp/HOSCO_ENGLISH/Pages/gotoh_catalog2007/gg2007_30.html

I have the J510-SJ in Black on my SB1000, it came stock. Its a nice bridge. :thu:

• Members

ABM shutting down is a great loss for those of us interested in headless instruments but there are other options. I've been following a number of those options and I've put together several of them in Guitar Building Resources for Headless Guitar Designs.

You might also want to consider some alternative approaches that don't depend on headless guitar specific parts.

For example, guitar builder Scott French uses a conventional bridge and somewhat conventional Steinberger tuners for his headless guitar. Granted this isn't a bass but its possible to adapt the idea for a bass.

Finally, consider making your own headless tuners! It may not be as difficult as you think.

Hope this gives you some ideas to work with.

Regards,

Robert

• Members

Hipshot "A" bridges are available in 5 spacing sizes from 17mm to 19mm, and "B" bridges in 3 from 17mm to 19mm.

I'm trying to not use the Hipshot bridge actually, I'm not entirely sold on the A style.

Those Gotoh bridges are interesting though, but I don't know what a zinc bridge with aluminum saddles would be like. Need to look into those more...

• Members

How about a a monorail type bridge? Atlansia Guitars make a bridge like this with a minimum spacing of 16mm, you can pretty much set it as wide as you like from there, you just need to measure it out and fit the saddles at the right distance apart.

I'm sure others do a similar setup. But Atlansia's website is http://www.atlanisa.jp - scroll down to the parts shop on the left.

• Members

How about a a monorail type bridge? Atlansia Guitars make a bridge like this with a minimum spacing of 16mm, you can pretty much set it as wide as you like from there, you just need to measure it out and fit the saddles at the right distance apart.

I'm sure others do a similar setup. But Atlansia's website is
http://www.atlanisa.jp
- scroll down to the parts shop on the left.

Thought about that too, or even a bass tune-o-matic, but it's too late. I based this order around a conventional one piece bridge, and had ordered the route under it for a grounding wire, which is a small recessed route about 1 x 1/2", and it's not possible to change now. Jinxed I tell ya...:cry:

• Members

I'm sure others do a similar setup. But Atlansia's website is
- scroll down to the parts shop on the left.

Looks like they have some pretty cool stuff. Anyone ordered from them? I'll have to try translating the page to English.

Archived