Problem intonating

Derek5272

• Members

So, I'm trying to set up my new bass. I got the neck relief and action set to what I think is pretty damn good... No buzz anywhere with my light "practicing in my bedroom" touch. Went to work, came home, lazied around for a while, then decided to set the intonation. And am now getting pissed off.

It's not that I've never set the intonation on something before. I think I know what I'm doing, somewhat. However, I can't get the note at the 12th fret when fretted to flatten to the harmonic's pitch. No matter how much I loosen the screw in the bridge, it won't go down that much, and at some points was actually sharpening some more.

So I decided to take a closer look at the bridge saddle. Now, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to slide back and forth as I loosen and tighten the screw. Instead, it moves a fraction of an inch, one side at a time, so it's just wiggling. I have no idea what could be wrong with this, other than perhaps the screw being stripped somewhere. Am I just {censored}ed for intonation until I get a new bridge?

• Members

Well this is the SX I just got. I was planning on replacing the bridge anyway. And it looks like that's the only way to go for this. The intonation on the 3rd string is spot on so I'm not messing with that one, but the saddles for the 1st and 4th strings wiggle, and the one for the 2nd string doesn't budge at all.

Guess I'll just go set my pickup heights for now, get some practice on that before I get new ones.

• Members

Well, what should I be doing?

I'm putting the screwdriver in the screw at the back of the bridge that goes through the saddles, and turning it. The screw moves in and out, but it has no effect on the position of the saddle.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

• Moderators

Well, what should I be doing?

I'm putting the screwdriver in the screw at the back of the bridge that goes through the saddles, and turning it. The screw moves in and out, but it has no effect on the position of the saddle.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

I don't know. It just seems odd. I'm not trying to tell you you are stupid. Sometimes if you hold the saddle with your left hand while you screw the adjustment screw with your right hand you can get it to catch and move properly.

• Members

I don't know. It just seems odd.
I'm not trying to tell you you are stupid.
Sometimes if you hold the saddle with your left hand while you screw the adjustment screw with your right hand you can get it to catch and move properly.

I wish you were. 'Cause then you'd be able to tell me what I was doing wrong! But I'll try holding it as you say.

• Members

I don't think the back of that bridge plate is threaded. There's probably a burr catching those screw threads. Loosen the strings and push that screw head flush up against that (vertical) plate. Then turn the screw while holding the saddle with your other hand to work it past a supposed burr. Try it on each saddle.

I've noticed the saddle screws on the SX bridges try to back out of that plate, a mere tap or a good push with your screwdriver will flush it up where it belongs.

For the time being anyway. :) Then get yourself a 201, I did and am very happy with it.

• Moderators

No, I'm just throwing out the setup equivelent of 'did you replace the bass' battery' in broken amp threads.
;)

It is a good one, just as Robin's is. I believe that there is some small issue here that is being overlooked. The kind of thing that most people miss at 2am.

• Moderators

Because if you are trying to move the saddles to increase the speaking length of the string, the string tension will work against you and put unneeded stress on the screw threads.

edit: and everything L-1329 says below. I'm too tired to make that much effort right now. :thu:

• Members

Ok, now that I've been called stupid
:p

Why should I be loosening the strings before making adjustments? I thought I wanted it tuned to the pitch I'd be playing it in when adjusting stuff?

You need to determine what correction is needed while in tune, but when you make the adjustment loosen the string so it has essentially zero tension over the saddle. A string in tune will put a LOT of downforce on the saddle, and make it almost impossible to move back and forth. The wimpy little spring over the screw will never be able to overcome the downforce of an in-tune string, and everything you described in the first post will occur. Also, if you leave the string in tune and try to adjust the saddle rearward, you might risk breaking the string since it will really increase the tension. So, tune it up, see which way you need to move the saddle, loosen the string way down, make your adjustment, then retune and check again.:cool:

• Members

So, what... Loosen the strings and try to intonate, or just loosen the strings to make the adjustments and then bring it back to pitch?

Edit: L-1329 answered my question while I was typing. Thanks. ... Don't have the patience right now to do this though :) Maybe later in the morning.

• Members

Ok, now that I've been called stupid
:p

Why should I be loosening the strings before making adjustments? I thought I wanted it tuned to the pitch I'd be playing it in when adjusting stuff?

Well, it'd help in freeing up some stubborn bridge parts, taking some relief out of the neck, etc. It's quite possible a few little burrs were overlooked in QC.

Of course, if everything is "moving" smoothly, go ahead and tune up and adjust accordingly.

I think they're just funnin' widdja. :D

• Members

So, what... Loosen the strings and try to intonate, or just loosen the strings to make the adjustments and then bring it back to pitch?

Edit: L-1329 answered my question while I was typing. Thanks. ... Don't have the patience right now to do this though
:)
Maybe later in the morning.

Sure, take a break from it and start from scratch later. :thu:

L-1329 is right too, taking the downforce off those saddles will make it much easier.

Archived