Best Flatwound Strings

TC5A

• Members

Any suggestions for the best Flatwound strings available out there? The sound I'm after is not bright or nasal. I'm looking for deep, smooth bottom with punch and clarity. This is for a Fender Jazz Deluxe.

So far I found (but haven't heard):

Rotosound Jazz Bass (Bright?)

D'addario ECB Chomes ("Warm Mellow"?)

Fender 9050s Stainless Steel (Dark?)

Thanks for any input.

• Members

Poltergeist, have you played with flats before???

They don't really "die", they're like that pretty much all the time.

yeah, i played with d'addarios and rotosounds, but not on my bass.... the rotosounds sounder better to me...

but i roundwound rotos now and they died on me in two days... im a brute, though :poke:

• Members

Are the DR flats out for general consumption yet? I know a few people here got some early sets for evaluation / feedback, but the DR website still lists them as "coming soon".

Also, LaBella black nylon tapewounds are excellent, if you're looking for that sound. Actually more lively than I would have expected, I never would have tried them, except my fretless Kania came with them.

• Members

for dark but expressive.... SIT Powerflats: Some of THE BEST sounding strings I've used for all purpose Rock to Soul that needs a vintage / 70s edge!

(some gripe about 'grabbiness' but that dies out well before they get broke in)

LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass Flats: wow... the thud and fundamentals! Warm kick in the gut with each note wrestled out of them. Feel like playing an URB (very thick and lots of tension). My current flatwound choice (I'm a stainless Round guy that keeps one bass strung with flats for that little somethin' somethin')

• Members

So far I think I'm narrowing it down to the D'addarios and the Thomastik JF344 Jazz. The low tension on the Thomastik may steer me towards the D'adds. The La Bellas sound interesting. I like an upright bass sound but something slightly "tighter" sounding I think would be right for what I'm after (R&B/Funk/Soul/60's/70'). The SIT powerflats are "hybrid" round/flat wound or something?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Members

If you don't put TI Flats on your bass you are stupid. I was stupid for many years until I put TI Flats on my StingRay. Now I'm not stupid. So don't you be stupid, too. www.bassemporium.com or from Carol Kaye's catalog at www.carolkaye.com. All other flatwounds suck. Do you want to be stupid and suck, too??? Hell no!! So get those TI flats and don't be stupid and don't suck............unless you're a hot chick.......then that's OK I guess, especially the sucking part!!!

• Members

+1 for the D'Addario Chromes they last forever.

Yes, I have played Chromes more than any other string in the past, but TI Flats blow them away!!!!!!!!!! You will get a big humongous johnson when you play them for the first time...........probably mess up your bass and make it sticky.........but cleaning is easy and you will eventually calm down........

• Members

People are recommending to you mostly the flats they like, not the flats you are asking about.

For deep smooth bottom, with punch and clarity, I suggest the La Bella Deep Talkin Flats. Get the medium light set, the heavy set is really, really high tension.

The next best set, based on what you are asking for are the Fenders. Not as much clarity as the La Bellas, but punchy and smooth.

TI Jazz Flats are great, but very middy. Chromes and Rotos brighter than what you describe as wanting.

• Members

well if the tone you want is flats:idk:

get a set of these and stretch them across your bass

hairband.JPG

You're young, so you're excused for being a fool. :p

Flats rule for some applications.I have them on my '62 Jazz reissue and MIJ AE fretless P-bass, and they kill.

• Members

If you don't put TI Flats on your bass you are stupid. I was stupid for many years until I put TI Flats on my StingRay. Now I'm not stupid. So don't you be stupid, too.
www.bassemporium.com
or from Carol Kaye's catalog at
www.carolkaye.com
. All other flatwounds suck. Do you want to be stupid and suck, too??? Hell no!! So get those TI flats and don't be stupid and don't suck............unless you're a hot chick.......then that's OK I guess, especially the sucking part!!!

So, are you saying you like TI flats? And no I'm not a hot chick. Or even a plain chick...

• Members

People are recommending to you mostly the flats
they
like, not the flats you are asking about.

For deep smooth bottom, with punch and clarity, I suggest the La Bella Deep Talkin Flats. Get the medium light set, the heavy set is really, really high tension.

The next best set, based on what you are asking for are the Fenders. Not as much clarity as the La Bellas, but punchy and smooth.

TI Jazz Flats are great, but very middy. Chromes and Rotos brighter than what you describe as wanting.

Thanks for the input. Naturally I do expect people to recommend things based on their personal preferences.

If TI flats are middy then I would look to the other options (despite all the raves on the TIs).

• Members

Strange I found this note @juststrings.com about La bellas:

"La Bella flatwound strings are not suitable for use on instruments that require through-body stringing."

Being that my Jazz deluxe has through body setup that looks to be a problem.

• Members

Flats are hard to get at a reasonable price in the UK so my brother got me some Ernie Ball flats off Samash (even though i asked for D'Addario) and they've been on my fretless since February. The sound is mellow and I get a little extra mwah. There isn't a harshness to the sound even when i dig deep. I can also get a bit of a Jaco tone if i really work the string from a certain angle.

Never tried any others, so thats my two penn'orth.

• Members

:thu: on Thomastik flats :thu:

but

they're upwards of twice the price of XL Chromes at $50/set :eek:

I recommend you give the TI a try at least once though

I'm wanting to try a set on my short scale Beatlebass copy lately, but that'll have to wait until well after Christmas.

Archived