Thoughts on this bass?

AMC

• Members

i play guitar but want to learn bass. i found this on ebay. do you think it is a good buy? im not looking for anything special since it is my 1st bass. as long as it works and wont be falling apart. i want a fretless one

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRECO-VIOLIN-BODY-FRETLESS-ELECTRIC-BASS_W0QQitemZ200173976098QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

I'd want top play it first but thats not always possible but if you can get it for less than 125.00 go for it grecko made some nice stuff but they made some not so good stuff too. I have played the fretted version of that bass and the one I played was good but not great It had a lot of thump but not much of anything else.

• Members

What he said!

If you can get it cheap, then go for it.

If you really hate it you can sell it for what you paid.

I love the way it look.

Dont expect to get massive Fender Pee bass tones or Artikkulate Jazz bass sounds from it tho.

Itll probably be thumpy and indistinct.

• Members

Only give those semi hallow violin style basses concideration if you want very mellow type tones and those like found in early Beatles music where such was used. Much better choices to be had sound wise for most folks. For very good right out of the box build qaulity along with very good qaulity necks, fretwork, hardware, and pups, thinks ESP LTD the best choice. Peavey & Ibanez also make some good low budget basses. For most stuff bass wise a solid body is better choice imo.

• Members

better or worse?

For $58 BIN, if it was a piece of {censored} you could grind it up in a wood chipper and use it for mulch. If I had an extra $102 I might give it a shot...but $44 for shipping is kinda steep...

C7

• Members

Consider this:

or this:

or maybe:

or even:

I agree

...and, AMC, trust me when I say that bass on eBay in Post 1 will be a lot more than $53.00 when the auction ends. My guess is about $150+, in which case that - if you absolutely want something with a retro vibe - then go for it, otherwise $150 is better spent on an SX P or J Bass

• Members

i play guitar but want to learn bass. i found this on ebay. do you think it is a good buy? im not looking for anything special since it is my 1st bass. as long as it works and wont be falling apart. i want a fretless one

It is a short scale, though.

Archived