F bass + alternatives to Bongo 6

REMUS

• Members

Having owned an F bass I'd figure I should chime in. Let me say that they are great basses, they are made wonderfully and the looks are top notch. But there is a reason it is still not with me. It didn't speak to me at all. PLayability was good but not any better than a Ray' or a Skyline..in fact I equate the neck very closely to a Lakland..it felt just like the Skyline I owned. It also didn't blow me away sound wise either..I found it to be just good, but not great. If you want a Bongo..get one...the playability is equal ot the F bass IMO and the variety of sounds you can get simply puts the F bass out of the running. Now you can go production or you can go custom. IF I was going to go custom I would go for a Hanewinckel..if I was going to production style custom I would say Lakland, sadowsky or Valenti. If you want a other than Fender body style you could go MTD, Zon, Warwick. The Streamer SII is an incredible instrument and I love it to death. I owned an MTD and it was a great bass but I always had to EQ a lot to get what I wanted. I should have to work that hard to get a 4k bass to sound good. So there are my suggestions..but you can do well on a bass for half the price IMO.

Dan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

WHat I'm trying to say is there are only a handful of players that can really get something out of the features of such an esoteric instrument.

I feel honored that wades_keys puts me in such an exclusive group of players as I could certainly make beautiful music utilizing the features of this esoteric instrument (how esoteric can a bass be?).

As Karl said, you are absolutely full of {censored}.

• Members
I feel honored that wades_keys puts me in such an exclusive group of players as I could certainly make beautiful music utilizing the features of this esoteric instrument (how esoteric can a bass be?).

As Karl said, you are absolutely full of {censored}.

I envy you. I can't make beautiful music with anything but a stereo :D

• Members
What I don't get is, I haven't said either of the basses I have own at the moment are inadequate in any way, shape or form, nor have I suggested that I want the f bass to improve my playing or to sound like a particular artist.

Ok i'll take credit for you thinking that was said about you...it wasn't.

what do you wish to discover from videos of this nature?

Then Kindness and i detoured for a moment on thoughts of the "Uber basses" and how the marketing, with XXX player :blah:

The question still stands...after 1000 videos of guys playing upper crust basses...YOU still haven't touched one.
**enter same question here**

• Members
Yup...and sometimes it takes the right tool to help make it happen. You know, the tools simply help with efficency. If part of that efficiency is getting the inpiration out more easily, then so be it. Sometimes, those tools cost more than others too, bro.
;):)

I'm just saying it seems kind of ridiculous for a young man working in a call center to spend that kind of jack on a hunk of wood.

That's a very, very expensive hobby with no payoff (you know what I mean here - you don't work in the industry - this bass won't get you that studio gig...)

Kindness is an attorney - no doubt he's got the cash to afford his hobby.

THis other cat works in a call center....not the same thing.

THere's a lot of things you could buy with 2,500 bucks that are probably a little more essential to living (again, for the 23 year old working in a call center).

• Moderators

I am T Alan Smith and I approve of this message.

When the question is "what bass do I NEED for my gigs?" my response is nothing that costs more than $150. However, not everyone is looking for a bass they need and there isn't anything wrong with that as long as the bills are being paid.

• Members

I was shopping for a fiver the other day and went into a music shop who stocks anything from P copies to high end Waricks.

I was playing on a couple of basses, Warwicks, 'Rays etc and spotted some basses hanging high up.

I asked what they were and he said they're Overwaters.

I've heard of them before but never seen one. They are all hand made in the UK.

I have to admit, this was the first 'hand made' instrument I've played.

I plugged it in and instantly could feel a difference between this and the so called 'high end' Warwick Streamer Stage II I played before.

The articulation was phenominal and I can now fully appreciate why people spend the extra money on a small luthier built bass, they are just so much better. I can't quite put my finger on what it is but they just have something extra that the mass produced basses don't.

When the time comes for me to be able to afford something like that I will definately drop the cash. At the moment tho' I'm not entirely sure what it is I want from a bass. I play different ones and like different things but I can't make up my mind how it could be better etc.

Anyway, this is a link http://www.overwater.co.uk/bass_guitar.htm

Check 'em out.

• Members

You know something REMUS, you're 100% right. And you got my respect for not "blowing" your money on drugs, partying, or just downright wasting it on all your friends and whatnot.
You're right, you want a nice bass...and by God "you earned it" as far as i'm concerned...it's no one business really what you do with your money; like i said, you earned it by making the right choices to put yourself in a position to be able to purchase one.
I, along with everyone else could list a million things you could do with the money to better secure your future, make that money make more money :blah::blah::blah:
I have a short story for you that pissed me off because i had just recently found out.
To start, both my Parents are deceased, with Mom passing just last year. So me and my lil' sister were talking, reminiscing actually, and she told my how my older Sister resented the fact that...(story within the story; growing up, i was the "blacksheep" in our family; doing drugs, getting in trouble, fights, latenight phone calls from the Police to come get my ass yet again etc, etc, well to keep my rearend in the house my Dad bought me a nice full bass rig, Gibson Grabber, Kustom 100w tuck and roll 215 cab i don't think i was quite yet 16)...back to the story, my older sister as i said resented the fact that "Franny got a Guitar", she carries that with her to this day (i never knew this) that was near 35 F*****G years ago!!!...but you know what?...35 years later did my Father make a mistake?...hell no, i still play, and i think that makes her evn madder knowing that Dad didn't waste his money.
With that...more power to ya man, get what you want.

• Members
You know something REMUS, you're 100% right. And you got my respect for not "blowing" your money on drugs, partying, or just downright wasting it on all your friends and whatnot.

You're right, you want a nice bass...and by God "you earned it" as far as i'm concerned...it's no one business really what you do with your money; like i said, you earned it by making the right choices to put yourself in a position to be able to purchase one.

I, along with everyone else could list a million things you could do with the money to better secure your future, make that money make more money
:blah:
I have a short story for you that pissed me off because i had just recently found out.

To start, both my Parents are deceased, with Mom passing just last year. So me and my lil' sister were talking, reminiscing actually, and she told my how my older Sister resented the fact that...(story within the story; growing up, i was the "blacksheep" in our family; doing drugs, getting in trouble, fights, latenight phone calls from the Police to come get my ass yet again etc, etc, well to keep my rearend in the house my Dad bought me a nice full bass rig, Gibson Grabber, Kustom 100w tuck and roll 215 cab i don't think i was quite yet 16)...back to the story, my older sister as i said resented the fact that "Franny got a Guitar", she carries that with her to this day (i never knew this) that was near 35 F*****G years ago!!!...but you know what?...35 years later did my Father make a mistake?...hell no, i still play, and i think that makes her evn madder knowing that Dad didn't waste his money.

With that...more power to ya man, get what you want.

Yeah I know what you mean, very cool story.

I went through the stage of messing with drugs from the age of 14 up to about 18, then I used to spend more on alcohol up to 21 (mainly due to uni) and now I only drink lightly when socializing a few times a week although I will admit to binge drinking on certain occasions. I prefer to spend the money on club entry, since me and a certain few hardcore mofos dance in our favourite clubs for most of the night two or three times a week, besides... the drinking culture in the UK is starting to die out now... more and more people are staying in with friends rather than going out and getting utterly hammered every week.

Apparently since I left Newcastle and what with the new smoking ban, it's no where near as good, less people are going out and that has caused bar owners to put up the prices.

It just seems like more fun to go bowling and have a couple of games of laser-tag like I did tonight and spend less money than I would going out, getting totally wasted and only remembering half the night anyway.

I sound lame, but unfortunately as has already been pointed out, the only way for me to get this type of gear and instruments like the BN6... is work hard and sacrifice allot.

Archived