F bass + alternatives to Bongo 6

REMUS

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the hardest part, is finding clips of these basses in action,

Not meaning to pick on you or anything REMUS...what do you wish to discover from videos of this nature?

1) they'll have a player sampling said bass, that is lightyears beyond most of our leagues.

2) Of course he'll turn the 5 to 10 knobs on it and get differents sounds

3) Said player could probably slap some strings on a potato and get it to sustain

4) The actual tone is in "his" hands...not yours.

What is it you expect to find? :idk:

just curious is all

• Members

You're in Calgary right? Seems to me, the only time I've ever seen a Dingwall, was at AXE Music. Still kicking myself for not at least trying it.

Yup, Calgary. And it was at Axe. I was there trying cheap Ibanez basses, with the intent of going to Long & McQuade to order the one I wanted (L&M at the time had a {censored}ty variety of basses because they were renovating). The guy was all "Here, try this Dingwall, you'll love it."

• Moderators

Not meaning to pick on you or anything REMUS...what do you wish to discover from videos of this nature?

1) they'll have a player sampling said bass, that is lightyears beyond most of our leagues.

2) Of course he'll turn the 5 to 10 knobs on it and get differents sounds

3) Said player could probably slap some strings on a potato and get it to sustain

4) The actual tone is in "his" hands...not yours.

What is it you expect to find?
:idk:

just curious is all

+10,000

I think Remus is in a situation where he doesn't get to get many of these basses in his hands to figure them all out himself. Because of this there is some great mystique about a number of basses and designs, as though there is some holy grail. What makes it harder is sometimes people do find holy grails for themselves. It is an unsatisfying answer, but the only way to go about this is to get your hands on them yourself.

• Members

Yup, Calgary. And it was at Axe. I was there trying cheap Ibanez basses, with the intent of going to Long & McQuade to order the one I wanted (L&M at the time had a {censored}ty variety of basses because they were renovating). The guy was all "Here, try this Dingwall, you'll love it."

Axe Music and L&M in Calgary... only guitar shops I've ever visited where I was not even acknowledged by anyone... period. One of the only days in my life I happened to have a wallet so full of cash I could barely get it in my pocket. Can't remember the name of the shop, but dropped my dough at the store right near McMahon.

• Members

Axe Music and L&M in Calgary... only guitar shops I've ever visited where I was not even acknowledged by anyone... period. One of the only days in my life I happened to have a wallet so full of cash I could barely get it in my pocket. Can't remember the name of the shop, but dropped my dough at the store right near McMahon.

A Music Center Canada maybe? I only know where one of them is in Calgary, the other 2 are a mystery to me. As long as it wasn't Guitar Works... :mad:

I'm surprised you didn't get acknowledged at the L&M though. Maybe it's just because I go there a lot, but every time I'm in a couple people say hi and ask if I need help with anything right away, then leave me to play {censored}ty music (well, good music, turned to {censored} by my talents) through their amps without bugging me again.

Only problem we've had was with the drum guys, who didn't know us (at the time, I'm sure they remember us now!!) when my brother was looking to buy a drum set. He had found the one he wanted, grabbed a cymbal pack, and was standing at the counter with his credit card in hand. And the drum guys ignored us completely. When they finally came to help us, they refused to budge on the price, even though we told him that the managers always cut something off the price when we buy guitars (and the assistant manager was walking around the guitar department, but they wouldn't leave to ask him). So we left, went to Axe and my brother bought his drum set there. My dad told the assistant manager at L&M about the incident, and he gave the drum guys {censored} for losing the store a $1300 sale.

• Members

+10,000

I think Remus is in a situation where he doesn't get to get many of these basses in his hands to figure them all out himself. Because of this there is some great mystique about a number of basses and designs, as though there is some holy grail. What makes it harder is sometimes people do find holy grails for themselves. It is an unsatisfying answer, but the only way to go about this is to get your hands on them yourself.

I'm glad you chimed in Kindness Thank you. (Hope you had a "FULLfilling" Thanksgiving btw)

You're right, that mystique of these upper echelon basses are sent into a realm filled with even more mystique by the "top tier" level players endorsing and playing them.

I think it's a great selling and marketing tool for the company no doubt, yet on the other hand...a disservice to the younger (and some older) players that think by having THAT bass, they'll sound and thus be able to do what "that guy did".

I don't know, but ive come to find that you, like I, love helping the younger or newer players...and if it means telling someone what they don't want hear...oh well.

EDIT: instead of ending with "oh well" i should've said "sometimes you just have to be the bad guy to get them to listen to you".

• Moderators

I'm glad you chimed in Kindness Thank you. (Hope you had a "FULLfilling" Thanksgiving btw)

You're right, that mystique of these upper echelon basses are sent into a realm filled with even more mystique by the "top tier" level players endorsing and playing them.

I think it's a great selling and marketing tool for the company no doubt, yet on the other hand...a disservice to the younger (and some older) players that think by having
THAT
bass, they'll sound and thus be able to do what "that guy did".

I don't know, but ive come to find that you, like I, love helping the younger or newer players...and if it means telling someone what they don't want hear...oh well.

There is an awful lot of chasing instruments on the web. It is in and of itself a disservice if the purpose for doing so is the music. I am the first to acknowledge the enjoyment and satisfaction I get from my collection of instruments and amps. However, it is entirely separate from any musical "need." My first decade of gigging was on first one and eventually two instruments. My basses and amps are a branch of my art collection, my history collection and my functional workshop.

• Members

The reason I wanted to aquire a BN6 is due to the fact I thought that it's construction and build quality would equate to very few dead spots, plus as Kindness mentions, I am a real fan of it as a work of art as well, as are all my basses that I have and choose to aquire these days.

He is also right on the money with my lack of experiance with these high end basses, the Sandberg I own is the cream of what I can expect in my area. The best selection I can hope to experiance is in London, which is a full 5 hour drive there.... and the prices are out of this world, like I mentioned before in this thread, an F Bass is over twice as expensive in the UK as from the USA currently.

• Members

Jerzy Drozd Legend VI

namm_legendVIMIDI.jpg

That's cool and all - but what the hell are you gonna play on that thing -

badly intonated wankfests?

WHat I'm trying to say is there are only a handful of players that can really get something out of the features of such an esoteric instrument.

What's the point - doesn't the world already have one Bill Dickens, and Pattitucci?

I don't know - get what you wanna get but some of these basses are way over the top and they are not gonna make you a better player.

• Members

What's wrong with owning something that inspires you to become a better palyer, or you appreciate playing?

Just because you haven't mastered the instrument is no reason not to buy something you want or deserve.

However, as a first fretless I think I'll shop somewhere else than JD!

• Members

Just because you haven't mastered the instrument is no reason not to buy something you want or deserve.

He can buy what he wants I guess.

Take a visit over in the keys forum - there you will find "collectors" who own rooms full of classic synths and can't play their damn way out of a paper bag.

I'm just saying it gets to a point where people are more interested in their gear than in using it to make music.

• Members

That's a hell of an assumption to make.

Why does it take laying out serious cash for an instrument with no frets, 6 strings, and an unfamiliar neck profile to get inspired?

That's fools gold man - that bass ain't gonna inspire {censored}.

Inspiration comes from within, primarily.

He can buy what he wants I guess.

Take a visit over in the keys forum - there you will find "collectors" who own rooms full of classic synths and can't play their damn way out of a paper bag.

I'm just saying it gets to a point where people are more interested in their gear than in using it to make music.

Stop talking crap man! So you're saying that playing an instrument different than what you would normally play isn't going to influence your playing at all?

Why don't you take a trip over to the keyboard forum and stay there!

• Members

Stop talking crap man! So you're saying that playing an instrument different than what you would normally play isn't going to influence your playing at all?

Why don't
you
take a trip over to the keyboard forum and stay there!

Dude - this a kid who is spending big chunks of his money on high-end instruments.

But whatever

• Members

Why don't
you
take a trip over to the keyboard forum and stay there!

Don't bother replying to it man, i'm not.

He quite plainly doesn't understand this type of instrument related karma/affinity, ain't got no soul bro :). It's his opinion it seems, but he is expressing it in a pretty rude manner.

he, it, that, they, his...etc it's not very nice being talked about rather than to when your present is it wade... jackass.

• Members

That's cool and all - but what the hell are you gonna play on that thing -

badly intonated wankfests?

WHat I'm trying to say is there are only a handful of players that can really get something out of the features of such an esoteric instrument.

What's the point - doesn't the world already have one Bill Dickens, and Pattitucci?

I don't know - get what you wanna get but some of these basses are way over the top and they are not gonna make you a better player.

You know, I've never really said this to anyone on here before, but,

this is such a total line of {censored}.

• Members

That's a hell of an assumption to make.

Why does it take laying out serious cash for an instrument with no frets, 6 strings, and an unfamiliar neck profile to get inspired?

That's fools gold man - that bass ain't gonna inspire {censored}.

Inspiration comes from within, primarily.

Yup...and sometimes it takes the right tool to help make it happen. You know, the tools simply help with efficency. If part of that efficiency is getting the inpiration out more easily, then so be it. Sometimes, those tools cost more than others too, bro. ;):)

• Members

What I don't get is, I haven't said either of the basses I have own at the moment are inadequate in any way, shape or form, nor have I suggested that I want the f bass to improve my playing or to sound like a particular artist.

I just want a really high quality 6 that I really dig aesthetically :confused: to play music written/designed for a 6 string.

I'm handicapped when it comes to experiencing them first hand, so the majority of the time I have to go on advice off trusted individuals whose opinion I value. I haven't gone wrong so far...

• Members

What I don't get is, I haven't said either of the basses I have own at the moment are inadequate in any way, shape or form, nor have I suggested that I want the f bass to improve my playing or to sound like a particular artist.

I just want a really high quality 6 that I really dig aesthetically
:confused:
to play music written/designed for a 6 string.

I'm handicapped when it comes to experiencing them first hand, so the majority of the time I have to go on advice off trusted individuals whose opinion I value. I haven't gone wrong so far...

More power to ya! Except for the lack of test samples (I've been lucky here near Chicago), I agree with you 100%.

BTW, Jerzy makes about 6 different styles in all sorts of levels of trim, B/O and N/T, options out the wazoo or not, and they're incredible instruments. The one I pictured is a top-line model, made more complicated with MIDI controls. But you can get incredible dressed-down models too! Over there, they are probably more affordable than an F Bass. So if you like them, don't be scared to try one out. Everyone who has played mine has been floored. Some have threatened bodily harm to keep it.

Their necks are thin, back-to-front, and sort of narrow side-to-side, and fast. The thick ebony boards tend to help them sing with rich harmonics. And although the body is smallish, and hollowed somewhat in back, it balances very well on a strap. He winds his own pickups, either split-single blade, or double blade, and uses an Aquilar OBP3 unless otherwise spec'd. Piezos in the bridge are an option, as is MIDI electronics. Wood choices are also an option, as is inlay work and other trim. Workmanship is top notch.

*edit*

BTW, another pic of mine, a lower-end B/O model:

namm_excellencyIVquiltedmaple.jpg

Archived