F bass + alternatives to Bongo 6

REMUS

• Members

Anyone had chance to play one, specifically the BN6?

Worth the cash? They certainly look the part... I was just considering alternatives to the Bongo 6 when it is released. Since they will be of similar value, well a second hand BN6 would be anyway.

The quality of the tone seems pretty fantastic, Jazz/Funk only though right?

What other 6 bangers, appart from the Quantum 6 are in the same price bracket?

Here a bit of random F bass pr0n:

DSC00246.jpg

DCP_0538.jpg

DCP_0537.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

can you dig up some notable examples of Fodera and Elrick work, i've seen a few zon and mtd basses and for the most part, they don't appeal to me enough to buy one.

the hardest part, is finding clips of these basses in action, due their expensive and rare nature.

did you think it was worth the price tag, in your opinion and was it a BN series bass?

• Members

I know it's hard, but try to contribute a lil dude
:(

What alternative can you give me in the circa $2500 price bracket?

Your going to spend $2500 on a bass?!? Buy it if you want to, I'm sure it's great. I don't know what it is but I like Jazz bass and Stingray shapes the best, they're so simple. The Bongo would be the most extreme shape I would ever consider buying.

• Members

Your going to spend $2500 on a bass?!? Buy it if you want to, I'm sure it's great. I don't know what it is but I like Jazz bass and Stingray shapes the best, they're so simple. The Bongo would be the most extreme shape I would ever consider buying.

So you don't have a suggestion...

• Members

Those Fbasses absolutely slay and George is such an epic guy. He came down to my local guitar store (NJ Guitar and Bass Center) and chatted with my boss dude at the time.

If I was going to be throwing down that kind of money (and you're in the UK?) I'd go with Status Graphite. To me, it beats the hell out of the Modulus basses in terms of graphite equipped basses in every way. The most important thing would be for you to go some place or places and try out every bass you can and get the bass that speaks to you above and beyond any bass you have ever played. Most especially because of the amount you have to spend.

• Members

I used to own 2 neck Thru 5 string FBasses. They are a really nice bass. The workmanship is phenominal and George is a great guy to boot. I've never played a Bongo, but it seems to me the MM may get a larger variety of tones.

Why did you sell them?

Seems quite a turn around to go from f basses to sx(es) :confused:

• Members

Hey Remus, If your really serious about looking at a F-Bass i can see about getting you a video clip. I live 10 min from where they make these and i am in good with George's brother Lou. What specific model again? and string count. From what i last heard i thought these were starting at $4,000 for a 4 string. I have played one and they are amazing. Here is the phone number...905-522-1582 if you want an update on what to expect to pay. You rarely see these for sale used.....they say because the owners cant bring themselves to sell them One of these is def on my list, but not right away....big $$:freak:

• Members

If you like F-Basses, I would check out two other Canadian luthiers that don't get the respect they deserve...

(1) Michel Fournelle of La Lutherie MF in Montreal. Michel is the only guy I ever let touch any of my basses. He does phenomenal work. His fretless creations are fantastic.

basEle2.jpgbasEle1.jpgbasEle3.jpgAccbass2.jpg

I know these basses might seem plain or conservative by modern standards. But I think they are real classics. And Michel is a true gentleman. Too bad their website sucks so bad :freak:

(2) Sheldon Dingwall of Dingwall Guitars in Saskatoon. I played some of his fanned-fret basses when I was living in Montreal. Let me tell you, they felt awesome. It really makes a LOT of sense for a 6-string bass.

Z15_Spault_HAB_maple_fb_full_front_w.JPGZ2_6_teal_burst_burl_2_w.JPG

I thought it would take a long time to get used to the fanned-frets, but it felt very natural in literally just a few minutes. The notes fall right under your fingers. It's pretty amazing, actually.

Emre

• Members

If you like F-Basses, I would check out two other Canadian luthiers that don't get the respect they deserve...

(1) Michel Fournelle
of
La Lutherie MF
in Montreal. Michel is the only guy I ever let touch any of my basses. He does phenomenal work. His fretless creations are fantastic.

basEle2.jpgbasEle1.jpgbasEle3.jpgAccbass2.jpg

I know these basses might seem plain or conservative by modern standards. But I think they are real classics. And Michel is a true gentleman. Too bad their website sucks so bad
:freak:

+1 on Michel Fournelle if you can't find/afford/want Ferlanetto.

I owned an MF bass twice (yes, the same bass) and it was hands down the best necked bass I've ever played. Sold it to BHolder a while back.

Archived