I Need Help selecting a Rig

Givati

• Members

An ampeg 6x10 would be a better option, but you might want to bear in mind that... image is everything these days, and an 8x10 gives some sort of psychological advantage methinks...
;)

i do believe you are right. I suspected as much when I tried to talk him into the 4x10 idea and he wouldn't have it. Again, live and learn. He usually makes the right decisions when it comes down to it. Lets hope he does here as well. There are so many good to great choises in bass rigs. I wish I had his problem. Here I am paying for his car insurence and he is saveing up for a dream bass rig. :cry:

I know. . . . . Its my own fault.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He's lucky to have a dad that is interested in helping him out, mine doesn't give a rats ass!

Bummer

Makes me sad. I know its a topic for another thread. But, I am not living through my son as so many weird parents do. I just want him to have the support I didn't have.

Back to rigs. Thanks for everyones suggestions. We do have alot of work to do. Fun work though. We will look into all the suggestions for sure and any others that come in.

• Members

Wow man, if he has that much money and your support behind him then I'll tell you what I really think.

Find yourself a GBE1200, run it through a Bergantino NV610. If he needs more power, put a 15 under it. Done and done :) I currently play in a heavy rock band and thats what I've been wanting for ages. Get him to check out the link in my sig btw if he likes that kinda music ;)

• Members

While you might not "need" an 810 in certain situations, I know that for MY band - that little MarkBass combo wouldn't have a chance in hell of being able to carry the bass. No way. I love my 810, and I'd rather move it than my Bag End 410 any day of the week (I do have a truck for transportation...). As long as it's not raining (aka - I can use the truck bed), the Ampeg 810 is by and large easier to move than ANY 410 or single 15 I've ever owned.

The 2 x GS112 stack I owned a while back was easier to move than the 810...but if I still owned them...they would gather dust in my basement and I would still bring the 810.

For me, there is no replacement for a large cab (or a couple 4x10s). So don't worry about getting the 810 if that's what he ends up wanting. And get the damn SVT-CL :)

• Members

OK....after years of searching with no money, to experimenting with money , and taste, to finally just buying a classic vintage Ampeg rig......cause its WORTH IT.

Years wasted dicking around...Buy the tube ampeg and 8x10. If he loses interest or does'nt like it......then use it yourself !!! And if you don't like it the next kid with daddy's big emo tear-soaked wallet will pay full pop, minus a little depreciation, and no harm no foul. A lakland deserves tube goo.Life is too short for {censored}ty tone!! Not saying the gk800 is {censored}ty...Far from it. Good clean power!!.....but mine is the backup now!!!

• Members

I hate to say it, but your kid wants the Ampeg 8x10 and SVT amp because that's what's in all the videos on Fuse and MTV2.

I worked with a guy that had this band that was killer tight on their myspace page, and could have been playing shows for months at that point, but he refused to get onstage until he had an Ampeg 8x10 and the SVT tube head. He feared being judged harshly and losing cred in the scene because he didn't have "the" amp all the other screamo bassists were playing.

If you buy your son the 8x10, you're going to be buying him a 4x10 shortly thereafter, once he realizes that the stages he's playing are too small for that leviathan cabinet. It ain't 1968 anymore, these venues have PA systems that can handle large amounts of bass, so he doesn't have to carry a room with his amp. Sound men are going to take him out of the mix altogether and he'll be inaudible despite the big cabinet.

Plus, it's easier to do sweet kung-fu high kicks off of a 4x10 cab than an 8x10.:idea:

C7

• Moderators

I hope I don't start to much crap here but I need some advice for my son. He is going to purchase an amp and is convinced he "needs" an Ampeg. He is almost certain to get an 8x10 cab, but he is unsure of what head to get. He is not sure if he needs all tube, solid state, tube pre/solid state power . . . or what. (for sure he does not like the weight of all tube)

We just got back from Guitar Center and the bass guy there was totally pushing Mark Bass. So now my son is more confused than ever. And so am I.

I have played for 30 years and have never used tubes. The most power I have ever had is 300 watts. I play jazz and funk. Right now I us a SWR 8x8 with a Peavey Mark III. (don't flame me too much) So I am totally not qualified to answer his questions.

I guess what we both need is a nice concise amp lesson. Shame on us, we are not gear freaks. We just love to play.

As been noted above, when a person (in this case your son) is convinced they "need" a particular rig while at the same time admits not being too knowledgable on the subject, the choice is usually based on popularity/aesthetics. That's not usually the best way to select gear, but it is often the overriding criteria. If in fact your son wants to go with the Ampeg 810, he'll be best served with the SVT-CL or SVT-VR. However, these amps are typically the rigs of choice when the bassist has roadies or is posing for a photoshoot. They are not the most practical for a bassist working the club circuit and hauling his own gear. However, ignoring the size, weight and expense, there are few reasons not to like that setup. ;)

There are too many amazing rigs for me to solve you problem, but the suggestion of a Markbass head is a good one, particularly the Little Mark-II. However, based on what you've described, I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest a Genz Benz GBE 600 (or higher) and a Genz Benz NeoX-212T.

• Members

The classic Ampeg SVT and 810 stack is one of the most popular, and OVER-RATED rigs possible. It is loud and warm, but it lacks a lot of clarity.

I play bass in a metal band that gigs often. I would never use a 165 pound cabinet that is quieterthan most boutique 4x10s because it has an inefficient cabinet design. Spend the money to get a good cabinet that is louder, clearer and lighter than the Ampeg Fridge. A 6x10 from Bergantino would be better in every single way possible. Louder, lighter, clearer, everything.

Also, do a search here for "Genz Benz" and you'll find that many of us here are huge supporters of their gear for a reason. They cut through the mix like nothing else I've ever played. I've played through at least 15 amps, and I used to change up my gear almost monthly. Now I've been playing GB for almost 3 years, and I never have the urge to try something else in its place. It is killer in a rock/metal setting.

• Members

Also, do a search here for "Genz Benz" and you'll find that many of us here are huge supporters of their gear for a reason. They cut through the mix like nothing else I've ever played. I've played through at least 15 amps, and I used to change up my gear almost monthly. Now I've been playing GB for almost 3 years, and I never have the urge to try something else in its place. It is killer in a rock/metal setting.

:thu:

Pair a Genz up with the right cabs and it won't just 'cut' through a loud rock mix, it'll plow through it like a bulldozer!:cool:

• Members

the Ampeg 810 is by and large easier to move than ANY 410 or single 15 I've ever owned.

A statement like that absolutely demands further explanation.

What is it about the magical Ampeg 8x10" that makes it easier to move than ANY cab that's half the size and half the weight?

Emre

• Members

I hope I don't start to much crap here but I need some advice for my son. He is going to purchase an amp and is convinced he "needs" an Ampeg. He is almost certain to get an 8x10 cab, but he is unsure of what head to get. He is not sure if he needs all tube, solid state, tube pre/solid state power . . . or what. (for sure he does not like the weight of all tube)

We just got back from Guitar Center and the bass guy there was totally pushing Mark Bass. So now my son is more confused than ever. And so am I.

I have played for 30 years and have never used tubes. The most power I have ever had is 300 watts. I play jazz and funk. Right now I us a SWR 8x8 with a Peavey Mark III. (don't flame me too much) So I am totally not qualified to answer his questions.

I guess what we both need is a nice concise amp lesson. Shame on us, we are not gear freaks. We just love to play.

First off, nothing wrong with your rig. :thu:

Second, nothing wrong with Mark Bass(see MySpace profile :D ).

Thirdly, if you wants Ampeg, that's perfectly fine as long as it's all tube Ampeg.

So, take an afternoon, pick out a decent cab to play thru, and try out a Mark Bass head(or 2) and an SVT Classic. What actually SOUNDS better? Next, lift up both heads, and think about how it's gonna feel at 4:30AM after a long hard gig. To many, all tube is worth it. To many, it's not. Still more important is how they sound to you.

As for cabs, if he wants an 8x10, great. As long as he can handle carrying up a flight of stairs, you guessed it, at 4:30AM after a long hard gig. A 2x10 cab paired up with a 1x15 was the standard for a lotta years for a reason- it's MUCH more flexable. Especially for a 1st serious rig- he'll have 2 different driver configurations to work with and learn about. He can leave one cab at home for rehearsals or smaller scale jobs as well.

Best of luck and have FUN in the process, so take your time. :)

• Members

Okay...

I actually READ the thread now. :D

I'd also like to throw Genz Benz into the mix as well. Any of their heads, of course, but try one of their newer 2x12 neo cabs. See how that works. If he wants to push more air, simply add a 2nd 2x12 cab. Loud loud LOUD! A Mark Bass head, like the new R500 with one or two of those Genz Benz 2x12's is the ultimate in lightweight, compact, explosive rock n roll sound, IMO.

• Members

A statement like that absolutely
demands
further explanation.

What is it about the magical Ampeg 8x10" that makes it easier to move than ANY cab that's half the size and half the weight?

Emre

Well - if you read my comment - I didn't say ANY cab that's half the size and weight. I said any 1x15 or 4x10 that I've owned. And it's easier because I have a truck, and the 810 has tilt back handle, wheels, and skid rails on the back. I have to do very little lifting to load and unload it. Not the case with all of the 410s and 1x15s I've owned. They were all heavy and awkward, and required several dead lifts per load in/out. Have your demands been met? :)

• Members

I hate to say it, but your kid wants the Ampeg 8x10 and SVT amp because that's what's in all the videos on Fuse and MTV2.

I worked with a guy that had this band that was killer tight on their myspace page, and could have been playing shows for months at that point, but he refused to get onstage until he had an Ampeg 8x10 and the SVT tube head. He feared being judged harshly and losing cred in the scene because he didn't have "the" amp all the other screamo bassists were playing.

C7

Again, there might be some truth to what you are saying, but he's no dummy. He has played through other guys 8x10 ampegs and loved it. That was with his whimppy peavey mark III head. He has been doing shows since the 8th grade and has used everything from an GK kickback 15 (backline?) a SWR WM 15 a Hartky4x10 with the peavey and my 8x8. He is certainly not a gear snob. He plays with what ever he has.

He just wants the best for his hard earned money (he works with a bunch of chicks at a day care) and the best for the type of music he plays for now and the future

• Members

Again, there might be some truth to what you are saying, but he's no dummy. He has played through other guys 8x10 ampegs and loved it. That was with his whimppy peavey mark III head. He has been doing shows since the 8th grade and has used everything from an GK kickback 15 (backline?) a SWR WM 15 a Hartky4x10 with the peavey and my 8x8. He is certainly not a gear snob. He plays with what ever he has.

He just wants the best for his hard earned money (he works with a bunch of chicks at a day care) and the best for the type of music he plays for now and the future

End the end, he'll have to try some gear and decide what he likes the best. Don't think that the Ampeg zeallots (like me :)) are trying to push you into something that he'll end up not liking. For me, the size of the 810 doesn't matter that much, because the sound is worth it. Most people that use the 810 feel the same. Your son needs to determine if the size factor is a big enough issue that the 810 is not doable. It's not like he'll have a bad rig if he ends up w/ a CL and 810....that's all I'm saying :)

Edit - for the record, I own a 4x10 and 1x15 combo just in case I need them for a smaller show in which the 810 would look ridiculous...haven't needed to go that route with my current band yet. So, the venues and band genre will play a role in your decision...

• Members

I didn't mean to come across like a prick, I'm sorry. I just have this thing against Ampegs. I should have prefaced...:D

One thing when considering a cab that big is, what kind of car do you guys haul gear around in? I saw a dude cram an 8x10 into the back seat of a Saturn and bust out the window when he closed the door. They're fairly easy to move around for an adult, but is your son big enough to load the cab by himself if he had to? (I wasn't at his age). His homeys aren't always going to help him. :D

I think the reason so many of us are so adamant about trying smaller, lighter, more efficient cabs is that we've seen bassists stop at The Ampeg Fridge and not consider anything else, even when something else would be astronomically better suited for their situation. He absolutely deserves the best for his money; I would urge him to try as many rig combinations as possible and factor in other things besides just sound.

OK, my recommendation based upon playing a few different styles of rock, funk, reggae, blues and others: a Gallien Krueger 1001rbII amp (700w, $600). It will pair well with the fridge if that's the way he wants to go, or he can pair it with a GK RBH 4x10 and have the horn control, and cut through mixes like a butter knife through salmon eggs...

C7

• Members

I think the reason so many of us are so adamant about trying smaller, lighter, more efficient cabs is that we've seen bassists stop at The Ampeg Fridge and not consider anything else, even when something else would be astronomically better suited for their situation.

:) I went in reverse - I tried all of the small, lightweight, boutique stuff first on the recommendation of TB and HC folks and always ended up wanting more. I guess all along all I wanted was the 'Peg sound :)

• Members

:)
I went in reverse - I tried all of the small, lightweight, boutique stuff first on the recommendation of TB and HC folks and always ended up wanting more. I guess all along all I wanted was the 'Peg sound
:)

Fair enough.

I saw Silverchair last night in a tiny theater in Boulder. He was playing through 2 Ampeg 15" cabs with the flip-top style tube amps on top. He sounded killer.

I've seen dozens of bands in town that have the obligatory SVT/810 setup, and what always seems to happen is, the bassist revels in his own power, and the sound guy takes him completely out of the mains, so despite his big rig, you can't hear him. I think what happens is, the guitarists go out and buy the full stacks, so the bassist has to try to compete, and you end up with a band that has to rent a horse trailer to get their gear to gigs, when tube combos and a 4x10 would be plenty.

From my own audience standpoint, the rigs that sounded the best FOH have been 4x10s mic'd and run direct from the amp. I personally use a stack on larger stages, but I typically turn it sideways, like a side fill, so I can still get some love in the mains. On smaller club stages, I use my 2x12.

C7

Archived