I Need Help selecting a Rig

Givati

• Members

I hope I don't start to much crap here but I need some advice for my son. He is going to purchase an amp and is convinced he "needs" an Ampeg. He is almost certain to get an 8x10 cab, but he is unsure of what head to get. He is not sure if he needs all tube, solid state, tube pre/solid state power . . . or what. (for sure he does not like the weight of all tube)

We just got back from Guitar Center and the bass guy there was totally pushing Mark Bass. So now my son is more confused than ever. And so am I.

I have played for 30 years and have never used tubes. The most power I have ever had is 300 watts. I play jazz and funk. Right now I us a SWR 8x8 with a Peavey Mark III. (don't flame me too much) So I am totally not qualified to answer his questions.

I guess what we both need is a nice concise amp lesson. Shame on us, we are not gear freaks. We just love to play.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

8x10 huh, is he playing stadiums yet? ;)

kiddin. Like any situation, you need to find the right tool for the job. In other words, what situations is he going to be finding himself playing bass in? What style of music does he predominantly play? What bass is he playing? Whats the budget? Once we have an idea of that, we can recommend you the equipment for the job. Personally I'm a bit anti-Ampeg as theres plenty of other companies out there who offer fantastic amps, but each to their own

btw nice cab, those SWR Henry's are damn rare and much loved on this board

• Members

He plays stuff simular to "From First To Last", "Scary Kids Scaring Kids", sort of post hardcore/alternitive

He uses a US made Jazz. He isnot woried about cost per se He is saving and has a butt load of cash already.

Here is a quote i got from another thread.

"I would say that the cab choice is much more important than the amp when rig shopping, and that's something that took me a while to learn."

• Members

I guess what we both need is a nice concise amp lesson. Shame on us, we are not gear freaks. We just love to play.

Here's my take on it: Ampeg is "hot" right now because all the emo, nu-metal, etc. bands are playing through walls of Ampeg 8x10 cabs and all-tube heads. Just like every guitar-playing kid in the 1980's thought that he "needed" a Les Paul Custom and Marshall JCM-800 full stack in his bedroom, every young bassplayer today thinks he needs a Fender Jazz and an Ampeg rig.

If it were me, I'd buy a used Galien-Kruger 400RB (~$200) or 800RB (~$300) and a decent cab...like an Aguilar GS112 (~$400) or maybe a used SWR Goliath 4x10 (also ~$400). That should be more than enough for anyone.

Emre

• Members

If it were me, I'd buy a used Galien-Kruger 400RB (~$200) or 800RB (~$300) and a decent cab...like an Aguilar GS112 (~$400) or maybe a used SWR Goliath 4x10 (also ~$400). That should be more than enough for anyone.

+1. no one i know that plays that style through a g-k has ever had any complaints at all. and although i'm a complete fanboy, i don't know how well an all-tube ampeg would suit the situation.

also, EVERYONE needs a les paul and a jcm800. EVERYONE.

• Members

OK that said, he's obviously looking for something nice and bassy, with a bit of bite (obviously, he's using a Fender). I'd also be recommending him give GK a look, particularly a 1001RB-II or an 800RB. Both are fantastic heads. I actually wouldn't be recommending him to buy Markbass, they're much too dark for that style of music if you ask me. Eden would also be a good choice, particularly their cabs.

You're definitely right about the cab making the rig. If he really wants the back problems later in life then by all means go after the 8x10 Ampeg fridge, theres definitely nothing wrong with it, I've used my head through one before and it sounded nice. If portability is what you're after though, consider getting two 4x10's, or even a 6x10 with a 15 under it. And...get him to consider 2x12's. Theres a lot to be said for them, particularly the Genz Benz 212 Neo. Lot of guys on here using them.

Basically I know its confusing, and there really is a lot out there in the marketplace at the moment, but the best thing to do is put in some quality father and son time and travel to every music store you can find, and play through every rig you can find with his bass. Only that way will he find something he truly likes.

• Members

btw nice cab, those SWR Henry's are damn rare and much loved on this board

How rare are cabs they still make? :confused:

I've got one and it sounds awesome.

As for rig selection, I really can't help you out. What works for me is a Mesa Big Block and some SWR cab (8x8, 4x10, 18, 4x12 or some combo) but who knows what would work for him. I can tell you all about why I'd pick what but it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I would get your son on here to ask some questions instead of playing telephone.

Also, this thread will blow up if it's bumped up during work hours. There are many, many years of experience on this board.

Yo.

• Members

He plays stuff simular to "From First To Last", "Scary Kids Scaring Kids", sort of post hardcore/alternitive

He uses a US made Jazz. He isnot woried about cost per se He is saving and has a butt load of cash already.

Here is a quote i got from another thread.

"I would say that the cab choice is much more important than the amp when rig shopping, and that's something that took me a while to learn."

Hmm, I think I might have said that.;)

Different cabs not only don't have the same tone, they don't project sound the same either, and until you hear one in a band context you won't really know if it works or not. All the in-store and home use won't really show what it really does with a band unfortunately. I had a 410 that sounded absolutely beautiful, and had a near magical quality to the way it filled in a room with gorgeous bass. Best cab I've ever played, but until I used it with a band playing heavier rock I didn't realize it was the wrong cab for me. Cut to now, I came across a set of cabs that work miracles with the whole band mix and this music, but also don't sound anywhere near as sweet on their own. Point being, I still think that the cab makes the majority of difference in a band mix, and you should really learn about as many as you can, play as many as possible with your own bass and amp, and see what you like. It sounds like you already know how to research these things, I'm sure you two will make a very informed choice. :cool:

• Members

He needs to work it out for himself, so either go in and try a load of bits out in store or ignore the GC dude and get him the ampeg stuff, as per usual it seems... they are talking out of their asses again... AMPEG and MarkBass don't have the same sort of tone.

I should say i've only heard clips of markbass stuff and read plenty about them, never had the chance to play on any.

• Members

I would get your son on here to ask some questions instead of playing telephone.

Yo.

He's right next to me. I just type faster. + he doesn't have time to sit in front of a forum. You know. . . to many babes out there:thu:

• Members

Hmm, I think I might have said that.
;)

until you hear one in a band context you won't really know if it works or not. All the in-store and home use won't really show what it really does with a band unfortunately.

Again you are wise. That is where GC has another positive idea. The sales guy said that there is a 30 day return policy if your not totally satisfied. Anyone kow about this? It seems a bit risky to me. What if you scratch it? It is for this issue that he leans toward the Ampeg stuff. He hears them in alot of different venues with lots of different bands an likes what he hears.

• Members

If I'm carrying gear around myself, give me a GK 800RB and a couple of small cabs. A pair of Aguilar 1x12" cabs (one with a horn, one without) would make me happy. So would an SWR Henry Jr. 4x8" over a Bag End 1x15" :love:

The only way you could convince me to buy an all-tube Ampeg head and an 8x10" refrigerator would be if you threw in a couple of roadies and a box-van to cart it around for me.

Hell, my SWR Red Head combo weighs something like 80 lbs. Lemme tell you, it's a real b1tch getting that thing up a flight of stairs by myself.

Emre

• Members

It's just so difficult to tell anyone what to buy.

After loads of amps, I've finally settled on a Markbass 1x15 Combo. It's easily loud enough for most gigs, I DI if it's not, and I can carry it to practice without problem. It's a really neutral sounding amp, which my Marleaux Consat Custom/MM Stingray/Status 5er/ Highway 1 USA Jazz all sound great through. It really let's the instrument shine, and leaves me contstantly confused about which bass to play!!!

I would recommend them to anyone, as they are so versatile, but they are pricey. I have stopped trying out other amps since I bought mine, and it is rare that I stop searching for new kit!!

• Members

GK 1001RBII / 2001RB / 800RB

Genz Benz 1200

Mesa 400+ / M-Pulse

can't really go wrong with any of those... :idk

I played a M-pulse 600 through my 8x8. Almost gave me a woody. I just can't afford one myself. I have to buy my sons to much stuff. Oh, to be a dad. Wouldn't trade it fo anything.

• Members

If he's convinced he need's an 8x10, then so be it. I have never, ever, needed to be so loud that I needed such a rig. I doubt that most of the people who visit this site, or play the sort of venues that most of us play (bedroom/living room/practice room/ pub/sportshall/church/garage/pub/club/bar/disco), really need an 8x10. I might be missing the point, but my tiny little Markbass is plenty loud enough for the gigs I play. If he's gonna play for The Who anytime soon, buy an 8x10. If not, get a Markbass.

• Members

From what i've read, an SVT-II might be the answer, it's got volume and tone.

Depends on how much you have to spend, and if your son is considering going pro.

Pair that with a nice 8x10, and you have a world class rig.

He is definantly wanting to go pro. How many of us at his age (18) didn't want to. Heck, when I was his age I had a 74 Jazz bass and a Acoustic 371. I was going to be the next John Paul Jones.

honestly, I want him too go as far as he can. And I will help him anyway that I can. I know how hard it is. I know the odds. If he wants a fridge with a boat anchor on top its his business. I am sure in 15 years he will look back and snicker.

I think he is open to other options besides the 8x10. We'll see. I know one thing for sure. I won't be moving it for him.

Archived