Broken Truss Rod Question

guitargod0dmw

• Members

Ok...so I just picked up a Warwick Thumb 5 Bo for dirt cheap because it has a broken truss rod. I've told told that it's not worth the trouble to fix, but I just went through all the trouble to remove the fretboard from the neck to get at the rod...so the hard part is over! Here is the problem...

The rod adjusts from the top...by the peg head. It was just free spinning. The little block at the other end wasn't attached. So my question is, how is this piece attached? Is it free floating, or does it actually crimp on to the rod? Here are some reference pics...

Rod & said piece...

Rod as it should be...but the piece is just sitting there. It can fall right off.

I assume that I should just get a new rod, but if it doesn't need to be "attached" then I would assume I can just use this one. I've never seen a truss rod to know how it should be. I can thread both pieces if necessary.

BTW: I removed the fretboard with an iron set of steam and a putty knife. It was a pain, but it came off pretty easy.

Here are some more pics...

• Members

I would either silver solder the original part back on or - thread the end of the rod (10-32)and get a new end from StewMac. After you thread the new piece on you peen it over.

Being European I would guess the diameter is .196", close enough to 3/16".

Solder won't be strong enough to hold, you need a weld to hold up to that kind of stress. I agree, a replacement rod is the best way to go, preferably one that's double-action.

• Members

Solder won't be strong enough to hold, you need a weld to hold up to that kind of stress. I agree, a replacement rod is the best way to go, preferably one that's double-action.

Silver solder is plenty strong in a joint like that..trick is getting someone to do it.

• Moderators

the metal end-block is not supposed to be attached.

Roger, it is my experience that functioning compression rods have their end blocks welded or rivited to the rod to prevent any movement between the two piece. If the rod were able to spin freely within the end block, there would be no counteracting force to create the compression needed. Am I misunderstanding something? :confused:

• Members

Roger, it is my experience that functioning compression rods have their end blocks welded or rivited to the rod to prevent any movement between the two piece. If the rod were able to spin freely within the end block, there would be no counteracting force to create the compression needed. Am I misunderstanding something?
:confused:

I've seen it both ways. This rod looks to me like the end block just acts as a "camming" mechanism. In this manner, the rod could travel no further because of the block. Now, when the threaded end is tightened and trys to travel, it would cam against the end block.

I certainly could be wrong. I was going to suggest that since he has it apart anyway, for him to adjust the rod to see what kind of tension, if any, can be applied.....or, if it just spins like you mention.

• Moderators

Got it, I haven't seen the camming mechanism in action. Makes sense.p

Got it, I haven't seen the camming mechanism in action. Makes sense.I certainly could be wrong. I was going to suggest that since he has it apart anyway, for him to adjust the rod to see what kind of tension, if any, can be applied.....or, if it just spins like you mention.

Sounds like the best bet. :thu:

• Members

you can buy truss rod bits i think on stewmac

basically any rod will do which will take the tension and can be adjusted

the threads on that one look stripped..and for the life of me i cant figure out why the block just slips over the end..

you can get the block drilled out and get an thread insert put in if you want to use it again..it fits the rout

and the rod can be easily swapped for another of the same length and thread to suit the insert

the head of the rod will have to fit the headstock recess and be able to be turned easily with a tool..

grease the threads before reassembling

http://www.alliedlutherie.com/truss_rods.htm

• Members

the threads on that one look stripped..and for the life of me i cant figure out why the block just slips over the end..

There are no threads on that end...and the other end is in great shape. I can't figure out why it would just slip over it either, so that's why I ask if it's supposed to be attached.

I'll ask Dana about it...

Archived