OT: Gun Enthusiasts...

RyCLB

• Members

I have a decent collection of guns, among them are a 10-22, AR-15 and a mini-14.

1. 10-22, inexpensive, dead reliable, decent out of the box accuracy. The reciever is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The .22 is very cheap to shoot and quiet also.

2. AR-15, expensive, dead reliable(if kept even reasonably clean), outstanding accuracy. (mine is a flat top H-Bar national match). The Flat top has an integrated rail for a scope. I use utramax 52 grain hollow points for sub-moa accuracy at $14.00 for 50.

3. Mini-14, reasonably priced, dead reliable, IMO poor accuracy. There are models that will take a scope easier than others, but you can put a scope on any of them.

If you are readily able to shoot between 100 and 500 yards, consider the .223, If most of your shooting will be 75 yards or less, get the .22.

I consider the mini-14 a throw around gun, I put it in my truck when I am going to work in the woods, I dont care if it gets beat up or scratched. It shoots about 3-4 inch groups at 75 yards, so that is its effective range.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dude, the Tanner Gun Show is at the Merchandise Mart about 90 times a year, they have pretty much whatever you need.

As far as small caliber semi-auto rifles, the best I've ever shot was a .223. I shot a Jagermeister shooter bottle at almost 500 yards with that thing when I was 11 or 12 years old. The only complaint my stepdad had was that it ejected the spent cartridge about 30 feet; I used to take a 5 gallon bucket and catch the shells so he could reload them. :D Not sure where he got it, but it was Israeli IIRC. It came with a badass banana clip...of course, this was before the Brady Bill...

C7

• Members

Dude, the Tanner Gun Show is at the Merchandise Mart about 90 times a year, they have pretty much whatever you need.

As far as small caliber semi-auto rifles, the best I've ever shot was a .223. I shot a Jagermeister shooter bottle at almost 500 yards with that thing when I was 11 or 12 years old. The only complaint my stepdad had was that it ejected the spent cartridge about 30 feet; I used to take a 5 gallon bucket and catch the shells so he could reload them.
:D
Not sure where he got it, but it was Israeli IIRC. It came with a badass banana clip...of course, this was before the Brady Bill...

C7

You can still get "banana clips" in most parts of the US. The federal assault weapon law is expired. However some states passed their version (like CA and IL) so check your state laws. But chances are CO has not passed their own AW law.

Also, after it was passed, The Brady Bill became the Brady Law :p

• Members

+100 on the 10/22. I have had mine for over 10 years and never had a jam. I put a raised scope on it so I can use iron sites or the scope. For a while I had it in a pistol grip/folding stock configuration which was fun for plinking, but wouldn't fit any gun case. I eventually went back to the factory wood stock but would really like to start modding it again. Synthetic stock, bull barrel, etc.. Oh, it also has a flash suppressor on it which also make it really quiet. You can hear the bolt go back and forth over the round firing.

• Members

All of the AK clones have recievers made of stamp steel. What you're getting with the Chinese made AK is inferior metalergy of the lot. The AK is the most copied and build gun in the world. The market was flooded with them at one time so you should be able to pick one up cheaper that $400. I remember seeing them at a Big 5 Sporting goods store for $199. Also, keep in mind that the imported military ball ammo sold for that gun have super corrosive primers. These guns have most probably been abused so be careful when buying.

Use a Bore light and take a peek at the rifling and especially the breech throat. The mag should click into place snugly. If it wabbles (free play side to side) ask the seller if they have an extra mag to test and repeat. A lot of guys boast about accuracy and keep targets around of their better work. Ask to see them if they have them. Are the shots all clumped together? Or are they sprayed all over the target like it was shot at by a shotgun? Good luck!

• Members

You can still get "banana clips" in most parts of the US. The federal assault weapon law is expired. However some states passed their version (like CA and IL) so check your state laws. But chances are CO has not passed their own AW law.

Also, after it was passed, The Brady Bill became the Brady Law
:p

Colorado State Law has no bans against assault weapons. The City and County of Denver does. It's still kind of screwy and I can't get a straight answer as to what is and isn't illegal. From what I can tell, only high-capacity mags are illegal (anything that holds over 20 rounds). If I didn't live in Denver, it wouldn't be a problem. Fortunately, I'll only be in Denver for another 6 months or so. :thu:

• Members

As far as small caliber semi-auto rifles, the best I've ever shot was a .223. I shot a Jagermeister shooter bottle at almost 500 yards with that thing when I was 11 or 12 years old. The only complaint my stepdad had was that it ejected the spent cartridge about 30 feet; I used to take a 5 gallon bucket and catch the shells so he could reload them.
Not sure where he got it, but it was Israeli IIRC. It came with a badass banana clip...of course, this was before the Brady Bill...

C7

I was wondering when a gun show was going to come to town...

Looks like the Tanner Gun Show is back on Dec. 1st and 2nd and then again on the 29th and 30th. Wanna make a trip to the Merch. Mart with me next weekend?

• Members

Colorado State Law has no bans against assault weapons. The City and County of Denver does. It's still kind of screwy and I can't get a straight answer as to what is and isn't illegal. From what I can tell, only high-capacity mags are illegal (anything that holds over 20 rounds). If I didn't live in Denver, it wouldn't be a problem. Fortunately, I'll only be in Denver for another 6 months or so.
:thu:

20 rds is a lot of ammo if you're just shooting paper so don't let that stop you. I never use my 30 rounders unless I just want to Rock and Roll and RnRing is just a waste of ammo. IMO. I guess you can look up the local law to see if it is legal to buy outside the county and bring it in?

• Members

Down in the armory of the prison where I work, there's a locked cabinet with two genuine 1928 model Thompsons and a BAR. I asked the Lieutenant in charge of the armory and he told me he fired all three of them a few years back and all are in working condition. I imagine they're worth a ton of money to the right collector.

When I got weapons certified on the 12 gauge and AR-15 I asked him when I'd get a chance to shoot one of the Thompsons. He replied with "never."

If you ever want a chance to shoot a full auto tommy, and you are in vegas...

http://www.lasvegasgunrange.net/

shot the tommy there, just felt like you were hurling lead down the range. Good fun. Also shot full auto MP40, that felt like a pea shooter.

How hard/illegal is it to make that AO fully auto?

• Members

How hard/illegal is it to make that AO fully auto?

It's not possible at all, the receiver is designed differently to fire from a closed bolt and to prevent full auto mods. Same with the Ohio Ordnance Works BAR, which is also very g.a.s. worthy.

• Members

I was wondering when a gun show was going to come to town...

Looks like the Tanner Gun Show is back on Dec. 1st and 2nd and then again on the 29th and 30th. Wanna make a trip to the Merch. Mart with me next weekend?

Sure! I'm going snowboarding one of those days, so decide when you want to go and we'll do it up...

C7

• Members

Huh. Some of the early Galils (IIRC) had wood furniture, but it didn't hold up too well in the desert. But yeah, a refined looking weapon it ain't. Its designed to be very reliable at putting holes in people who are trying to do the same to the user. At that, its quite good :)

• Members

Huh. Some of the early Galils (IIRC) had wood furniture, but it didn't hold up too well in the desert. But yeah, a refined looking weapon it ain't. Its designed to be very reliable at putting holes in people who are trying to do the same to the user. At that, its quite good
:)

I can see the beauty in that...:D

C7

• Members

Sub-guns are where it's at!

Figures this thread popped up, I have been seriously thinking about getting one of these for plinking, an Auto Ordnance 1927A-1 Thompson semi-auto. .45acp can be found everywhere, can be used in a lot of indoor ranges unlike higher powered rifles, and about as cool and fun as it could get for plinkin'. I can't withstand the g.a.s. !

1927A1.gif

I inherited a 45 Cal Thompson with a drum magazine a while back it is fun to shoot.

• Members

I'd like an M1 Garand. At my old weekend security gig I worked with a Korean war vet who used to tell me his wartime experiences. He loved his M1 Garand. It was heavy, but reliable and very accurate.

bought a Springfield Armoury M1 Grand a few years ago and it was dead nuts right out of the box.

one of the best shooting rifles I own. well besides the Ruger 300 WIN Mag.

• Members

bought a Springfield Armoury M1 Grand a few years ago and it was dead nuts right out of the box.

one of the best shooting rifles I own. well besides the Ruger 300 WIN Mag.

A guy I used to work with bought one of them for his dad, who was a WWII GI. Seeing how much he loved that rifle was really something, and sure says a lot about what he must have been through and how highly the M1 was/is regarded. I got to shoot it with them once, and it was really, really fun. The stock is a little short for my frame, but it still was probably the most enjoyable shooting experience I've had yet. And after we were done shooting I went over to T. Alan's place.:D

• Members

A guy I used to work with bought one of them for his dad, who was a WWII GI. Seeing how much he loved that rifle was really something, and sure says a lot about what he must have been through and how highly the M1 was/is regarded. I got to shoot it with them once, and it was really, really fun. The stock is a little short for my frame, but it still was probably the most enjoyable shooting experience I've had yet. And after we were done shooting I went over to T. Alan's place.

Yes they are definately a pleasure to shoot

I think that rifle was probably designed by a man who was small in stature because the stock is a tad short for me also however I installed a recoil pad on mine that made it just about right.

• Members

20 rds is a lot of ammo if you're just shooting paper so don't let that stop you. I never use my 30 rounders unless I just want to Rock and Roll and RnRing is just a waste of ammo. IMO. I guess you can look up the local law to see if it is legal to buy outside the county and bring it in?

Yeah, I know 20 rounds is a good bit of ammo, but a 30 round mag would be nice to have... :D

Denver's gun laws have become pretty controversial in the past few years. Apparently, The City of Denver has a "home rule" charter/provision that essentially allows it to pass laws or ordinances that do not coincide with state laws. There was actually a law suit filed against The City of Denver on behalf of the State of Colorado regarding the legality of Denver's firearm ordinances. After many appeals, the State Supreme Court upheld Denver's position (with a tie vote, nonetheless). Shortly thereafter, Denver removed certain provisions from the law that specifically banned certain assault weapons (SKS, AK-47, Galil, etc.). The high-capacity mag laws have stayed in place. They also removed "safe storage" provisions that, from what I can tell, required firearm owners to keep weapons unloaded and locked away at all times. It was a pretty stringent law, to say the least.

Long story short, purchase of and mere possession of any banned items is illegal in Denver.

The only evidence I can find of these provisions being removed is this PDF file:

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/81/documents/Committees/Safety/2007/SAFETY_01_03_07.pdf

Look at page 4, section 6. I had found the "laundry list" of banned weapons before, but I can't seem to find it now...

• Members

Sure! I'm going snowboarding one of those days, so decide when you want to go and we'll do it up...

C7

Probably Sunday, as I work on Saturdays. I figure we'll probably get there for 9AM, when they open, to try to avoid crowds. The wife wants another handgun, either a .22 or a 9MM (she hates my .45ACP), so we'll be shopping for that too. :thu:

EDIT: I mean Sunday the 2nd. :D

• Members

Yeah, I know 20 rounds is a good bit of ammo, but a 30 round mag would be nice to have...

Denver's gun laws have become pretty controversial in the past few years. Apparently, The City of Denver has a "home rule" charter/provision that essentially allows it to pass laws or ordinances that do not coincide with state laws. There was actually a law suit filed against The City of Denver on behalf of the State of Colorado regarding the legality of Denver's firearm ordinances. After many appeals, the State Supreme Court upheld Denver's position (with a tie vote, nonetheless). Shortly thereafter, Denver removed certain provisions from the law that specifically banned certain assault weapons (SKS, AK-47, Galil, etc.). The high-capacity mag laws have stayed in place. They also removed "safe storage" provisions that, from what I can tell, required firearm owners to keep weapons unloaded and locked away at all times. It was a pretty stringent law, to say the least.

Long story short, purchase of and mere
possession
of any banned items is illegal in Denver.

The only evidence I can find of these provisions being removed is this PDF file:

http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/81/documents/Committees/Safety/2007/SAFETY_01_03_07.pdf

Look at page 4, section 6. I had found the "laundry list" of banned weapons before, but I can't seem to find it now...

Thank goodness CA has a preemption rule. Cities cannot pass laws that are not consistent with state law. That's the only thing that is saving us gun owners from the yahoos that run the cities.

• Members

Probably Sunday, as I work on Saturdays. I figure we'll probably get there for 9AM, when they open, to try to avoid crowds. The wife wants another handgun, either a .22 or a 9MM (she hates my .45ACP), so we'll be shopping for that too.
:thu:

EDIT: I mean Sunday the 2nd.

Early on Sunday works well for me.

She hates the .45ACP? Get her a .40 :idea:.

C7

Archived