OT: Gun Enthusiasts...

RyCLB

• Members

First off, please, please, please don't turn this into a gun control debate.

So, I know there are a few gun enthusiasts on this forum and I need some help. I spent last week back in Louisiana with my father-in-law (huge gun enthusiast) and did some shooting. He has an old Chinese (Norinco) SKS 7.62mm that was a blast to shoot. I've always been into handguns and have a few, but after the fun I had with the SKS, I'm now looking into getting a rifle. I don't hunt, and it would be mainly for plinking/fun. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money (less than $400, preferably) but I want something reliable and durable. Also, I'd prefer a semi-auto over bolt action and the like. I'm not particular about caliber, as recoil isn't much of an issue. I'd get an SKS, but I haven't had any luck finding one in the Denver area and I'd rather not get one online and have to deal with FFL fees, shipping, etc. Bass Pro seems to have an awesome selection, but I know jack about rifles and they were unbelievably busy today so the salespeople weren't much help.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any and all comments/recommendations! :thu:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sure you can find an SKS after looking harder. They are everywhere. You could also look into a Ruger Mini-14...it's a .223

The best thing do to is head to the gun shop again, and start asking them questions. They can probably find anything that you want...like a SKS. If you have the option...I think the Russian SKS is the best, but please don;t quote me on that. I think they just had higher quality standards when building them...but I'm not an SKS guy, so take that as you like.

• Members

If you truly want something for plinking, honestly, I'd recommend a Ruger 10-22. 22 LR, semi-auto. Tons of aftermarket add-ons and upgrades available. Cheap ammo, too.

But I'm not sure if that falls under the "not enough power" category.

$.02

Dustin

Y'know, I was looking at those and they seem to be really nice rifles. I'm not worried about power - I'm only going to be shooting at targets, cans, and bottles, so a .22 would be just fine. And you're dead on with the ammo; it'd be pretty damn hard to spend a fortune on .22 rounds!

Do you have one personally? Do they have aftermarket mags for 'em? (I guess I could just use the internets for some research...) :D

Thanks for the help! :thu:

• Members

I like handguns better than rifles for some reason. I do have a Winchester 12GA. pump that i like a lot.

I had a lot of fun with an SKS that I bought when I caught a rifle bug but it didnt really do it for me after a month or so of shooting it.

I got mine on the internet sent directly to a gun shop in my area.

The guy It was shipped to deals in used guns and thought this was a sweet deal....after cleaning off the Cosmoline this was a great rifle for the price. it was $139 plus shipping at the time. I put 1000 round through it without 1 problem. it even has a folding bayonette and grenade launcher

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Surplus_and_Used_Long_Guns.html

• Members
Y'know, I was looking at those and they seem to be really nice rifles. I'm not worried about power - I'm only going to be shooting at targets, cans, and bottles, so a .22 would be just fine. And you're dead on with the ammo; it'd be pretty damn hard to spend a fortune on .22 rounds!

Do you have one personally? Do they have aftermarket mags for 'em? (I guess I could just use the internets for some research...)
:D

Thanks for the help!
:thu:

Yeah, I've got one, and so does my brother. We use them to control ground squirrels in pastures. Butler Creek makes a 25-round banana for them, although I personally prefer the Ruger 10-round rotary clips. Easier for me to load, and the clip happens to be where I sometimes put my hand while firing, so the flush-fit Ruger clip works much better.I've been happy with mine. I noticed it likes some brands of ammo more than others, but hey, at like $7 a brick, it's not too expensive of a lesson. :)

• Members

I'm sure you can find an SKS after looking harder. They are everywhere. You could also look into a Ruger Mini-14...it's a .223

The best thing do to is head to the gun shop again, and start asking them questions. They can probably find anything that you want...like a SKS. If you have the option...I think the Russian SKS is the best, but please don;t quote me on that. I think they just had higher quality standards when building them...but I'm not an SKS guy, so take that as you like.

Well, Denver had an assault weapons ban for awhile (even after the Federal ban expired) and I think that may have caused some dealers to be a little wary of SKS's, AK's, and the like. The SKS and AK-47 were specifically deemed illegal in the ordinance, and although it's not in effect anymore, they've seemingly become scarce around here. You can find 'em in any gun shop in Louisiana, but not in Denver.

On another note, the Mini-14 looks like a nice rifle as well as the 10-22 Dustin mentioned. I've got Ruger P90DC .45 and a KP95 9mm that have been incredibly reliable, so I've got nothing but good faith in Ruger firearms. I'll have to go check them out next weekend...

Thanks!

:thu:

• Members

If you truly want something for plinking, honestly, I'd recommend a Ruger 10-22. 22 LR, semi-auto. Tons of aftermarket add-ons and upgrades available. Cheap ammo, too.

But I'm not sure if that falls under the "not enough power" category.

$.02

Dustin

+10

that is hands down the most fun rifle IMO. It's like the Miata of guns, not too powerful, not the fastest/best/biggest/etc, but its the most fun.

• Members

Yeah, I've got one, and so does my brother. We use them to control ground squirrels in pastures. Butler Creek makes a 25-round banana for them, although I personally prefer the Ruger 10-round rotary clips. Easier for me to load, and the clip happens to be where I sometimes put my hand while firing, so the flush-fit Ruger clip works much better.

I've been happy with mine. I noticed it likes some brands of ammo more than others, but hey, at like $7 a brick, it's not too expensive of a lesson.
:)

Hmm, I'll definitely check one of those out then. They sound like decent rifles for the price and the cheap ammo factor is really enticing. Can't have a mag that holds more than 20 rounds in Denver, so the 10-round rotary clips sound like the solution. Are they pretty easy to mount scopes on?

• Members

Hmm, I'll definitely check one of those out then. They sound like decent rifles for the price and the cheap ammo factor is really enticing. Can't have a mag that holds more than 20 rounds in Denver, so the 10-round rotary clips sound like the solution. Are they pretty easy to mount scopes on?

Mounting a scope is just like any other rifle. Get the rings, a scope, and a kit to do it properly, then it's time to go shoot and sight it in. I have a Tasco that was around $150 10 years ago. It's a 3-9x with a 44mm objective end. Overkill, but hey, I didn't buy it. :D

• Members

Mounting a scope is just like any other rifle. Get the rings, a scope, and a kit to do it properly, then it's time to go shoot and sight it in. I have a Tasco that was around $150 10 years ago. It's a 3-9x with a 44mm objective end. Overkill, but hey, I didn't buy it.

Yeah, I was just looking at the Ruger and it looks like it doesn't come with sights, so a scope is apparently a necessity. Would it be a better idea to take the rifle to a gunsmith to have the scope mounted or would it be pretty easy to do myself? I've never mounted a scope, nor do I know anything about them and I wouldn't want to screw anything up...

• Members

Sub-guns are where it's at! :D

Figures this thread popped up, I have been seriously thinking about getting one of these for plinking, an Auto Ordnance 1927A-1 Thompson semi-auto. .45acp can be found everywhere, can be used in a lot of indoor ranges unlike higher powered rifles, and about as cool and fun as it could get for plinkin'. I can't withstand the g.a.s. !

1927A1.gif

• Members

Yeah, I was just looking at the Ruger and it looks like it doesn't come with sights, so a scope is apparently a necessity. Would it be a better idea to take the rifle to a gunsmith to have the scope mounted or would it be pretty easy to do myself? I've never mounted a scope, nor do I know anything about them and I wouldn't want to screw anything up...

I see open sights on Ruger's Web site, and as I recall, mine has them. I opted for the Walnut stock on mine. My brother has the synthetic with stainless metal. Both look much nicer than the standard stock, IMO.

• Members

10/22 or Mini 14s.

Great quality, US made, stone cold reliable, no assault rifle stigma (very important if you ever have to use it for self preservation), cheap ammo and plenty of accessories.

Here is my fly swatter

Heavily modified with a Boyd stock, a TS aluminum sleeved bull barrel, Leupold (of course!) 3X9 glass and a Clark trigger kit.

The target show a 4 shot group @ 50 yards with Aquila SV ammo (cheap gun show stuff)

1022detail640.JPG

1022side640.JPG

1022group640.JPG

• Members

Sub-guns are where it's at!

Figures this thread popped up, I have been seriously thinking about getting one of these for plinking, an Auto Ordnance 1927A-1 Thompson semi-auto. .45acp can be found everywhere, can be used in a lot of indoor ranges unlike higher powered rifles, and about as cool and fun as it could get for plinkin'. I can't withstand the g.a.s. !

1927A1.gif

That's a SWEET gun, but a little bit out of my price range... :D

• Members

I see open sights on Ruger's Web site, and as I recall, mine has them. I opted for the Walnut stock on mine. My brother has the synthetic with stainless metal. Both look much nicer than the standard stock, IMO.

Shows how much I know about rifles... :D

• Members

I have a really nice Ruger 10/22. They are the P Bass of plinkers. Very fun, cheap to shoot, and there's tons of accessories for them.

For larger caliber, the Mini 14 was a good suggestion. I have an AR15 which is great but more expensive. In any case, be aware of the caliber and pick one that's easy to find cheap ammo for.

• Members

Sub-guns are where it's at!

1927A1.gif

Down in the armory of the prison where I work, there's a locked cabinet with two genuine 1928 model Thompsons and a BAR. I asked the Lieutenant in charge of the armory and he told me he fired all three of them a few years back and all are in working condition. I imagine they're worth a ton of money to the right collector.

When I got weapons certified on the 12 gauge and AR-15 I asked him when I'd get a chance to shoot one of the Thompsons. He replied with "never."

• Members

That's funny considering that the Tommy gun doesn't have a quarter of the lethality of the AR (nor the boomstick).

Yup. The BAR sure as heck does though!:thu: The Tommy was designed to do one thing, clear out trenches, so long range and super high power aren't needed. Just lots and lots of big heavy bullet's.:cool:

Archived