what is it that you think is so great about rickenbacker basses?

Stella Joop

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i want to know. i dont doubt they are great, i just havent spent any quality time with one.

Ric-o-sounD is pretty sweet.

They just have that tone all their own. Like a Jazz Bass, Stingray....etc.

And I think they look pretty freakin' cool.

• Members

I love clear "grindy" bass sounds. A lot of people like a thumpy muddy sound, even though they demand amps with "punch" :rolleyes:. If you are the type of guy who plays with the tone control all or most of the way down, it would be a waste to play a Rick unless it's because you prefer the feel of playing one. A Rickenbacker bass is pretty much the ultimate zingy grind machine whose design(neck through body, unique bridge, pickups, body woods) creates a uniquely well-defined sound that I haven't seen matched with any number of exotic magenta-stained "tonewoods", ugly "ergonomic" body shapes or active electronics. The neck is also unique by comparison to Fender style necks in that it doesn't flare out so much towards the treble end. Then there are unique Ric-isms like Ric-O-Sound, aka stereo wiring and the "toaster" pickup guard which a lot of people just remove for the sake of playability, although IMO it doesn't look as cool.

A lot of people typecast them as being strictly rock basses, but I think that's a dumb assumption.

• Members

I really want to like Ric's more than I do, but I just can't get along with them enough playing-wise to ever buy one. They look cool, sound good, but that's it for me. If they could improve the ridiculously, stupidly huge pup route and sharp metal surround, make a fully adjustable bridge and still keep the looks and vibe, then maybe. But they won't.

• Members

I really want to like Ric's more than I do, but I just can't get along with them enough playing-wise to ever buy one.

This was my sentiment exactly when I got my first Ric 5 years ago (used - 1970 model). I owned it for a few weeks, and turned around and traded it for some other basses. I didn't look back.

That is - until a few years later. For some odd reason, I had the bug again. I found a new one at a dealer, took the dive again, and I have been thrilled. It's been my numero uno ever since (nearly 2 years). I previously played mostly Precisions, and it took me some time to adapt and get used to playing the Ric. It took a few weeks - a bit longer than I allowed myself to adapt the first time around. I couldn't be happier with mine - the tone is just amazing - live, recorded, every time. I love the neck, I admire the construction and finish. I think it looks cool. It's IT for me.

To each their own - but I'm certainly glad I gave the Ric a 2nd chance. There are plenty of basses out there for us all. :wave:

• Members

They look cool, as long as they have triangular inlays and binding. Not a fan of the stripped down looking models. Also, personally, I liked the 4001 better - the center neck laminate was a dark wood, gave it a stripe down the middle. I've played a bunch of 4003s in music stores, and I got the impression they need a little tweaking to sound great - like a cranked tube amp, or different pickups. I switched mine to Bartolinis and liked it much better. Tone is subjective, of course, but to answer the question what I "think is so great" would have to be the looks.

• Members

No other bass sounds or plays quite like a Ric. My love affair with them can be attributed to Yes and Clatter.

Aw! When I opened this thread I didn't expect to read that!! :):):)

Rics just have this gorgeous piano-like tone that takes grit well and they play like butter. Here's my little family:

4003.jpg

4001.jpg

fretless.jpg

• Members

i want to know. i dont doubt they are great, i just havent spent any quality time with one.

tough question to answer other than the well known unique sound, cool shape, great build and finish.

It is one of those things you have to go out and try for yourself. its like me asking you what a peach tastes like, you can tell me what it tastes like to you but I might describe it differently

Archived