Dark star pickups...other T-40 mods?

Rootdogg

• Members

Hey guys.

I was just roaming around the net checking out Peavey T-40 mods. Seems like the Dark Star pickup is a popular replacement for stock pups.

darkstar_lg.jpg

They look pretty sweet.

Does anyone else have any T-40 mod info? Things they have experimented with themselves, or seen done?

• Members

Hey guys.

I was just roaming around the net checking out Peavey T-40 mods. Seems like the Dark Star pickup is a popular replacement for stock pups.

darkstar_lg.jpg
They look pretty sweet.

Does anyone else have any T-40 mod info? Things they have experimented with themselves, or seen done?

Have you priced a Darkstar yet?

• Members

Hammon Dark Stars are the {censored}! at 200 bucks a piece they are worth getting 2.

They are that nice huh.

What would you compare their tone / performance to? I know that's probably a tough question. Les Paul, Jazz, Stingray, Wal....something else?

• Members

Hang on to the original pups if you do this.

I have heard all the original T-40 hardware ebays quite nicely. I don't plan on doing the pickup switch, at the moment. I just wanted to see if anyone had done anything particularly interesting with their T-40. Always nice to have some ideas, just in case this bass becomes a project.

:)

• Members

I have heard all the original T-40 hardware ebays quite nicely. I don't plan on doing the pickup switch, at the moment. I just wanted to see if anyone had done anything particularly interesting with their T-40. Always nice to have some ideas, just in case this bass becomes a project.

:)

Honestly, everything on a T-40 is top notch already.

• Members

$200 a bit more than a few bucks

Not really, and we're talking the difference from other pups anyway, not $200. Besides for a bass that you keep for even a year or two this is chump change, but can effect the sound more than perhaps any other part of the bass. Always buy the right pups if you want the bass to sound it's best, regardless of price.

• Members

Not really, and we're talking the difference from other pups anyway, not $200. Besides for a bass that you keep for even a year or two this is chump change, but can effect the sound more than perhaps any other part of the bass. Always buy the right pups if you want the bass to sound it's best, regardless of price.

Well, without a doubt I would rather upgrade my pickups than spend $400 on another bass. I think it would be more fun anyways. It just comes down to asking myself, will this bass be worth $650 to me when it's all said and done. I can think of a lot of basses that I wouldn't take brand new for $650 over a modded T-40 with seriously nice upgrades. I have been having so much fun with this bass lately anyways, it might be worthy of such an upgrade. This bass is a keeper, and will see some stage time, no doubt. The only problem is, if I do the upgrade, would this bass actually re-sale for what I put into it. Probably not, but I guess that's only a "time will tell" kinda thing, as the prices rise on these beasts.

• Members

Well, without a doubt I would rather upgrade my pickups than spend $400 on another bass. I think it would be more fun anyways. It just comes down to asking myself, will this bass be worth $650
to me
when it's all said and done. I can think of a lot of basses that I wouldn't take brand new for $650 over a modded T-40 with seriously nice upgrades. I have been having so much fun with this bass lately anyways, it might be worthy of such an upgrade. This bass is a keeper, and will see some stage time, no doubt. The only problem is, if I do the upgrade, would this bass actually re-sale for what I put into it. Probably not, but I guess that's only a "time will tell" kinda thing, as the prices rise on these beasts.

Exactly right.:thu:

It's also something to point out that this forum gaffs at the thought of putting a $200 pickup into a $400 bass, but will give all praise and glory to someone who puts $200 worth of parts into a $100 bass. Their opinions are hereby rendered invalid.:p

• Moderators

It's also something to point out that this forum gaffs at the thought of putting a $200 pickup into a $400 bass, but will give all praise and glory to someone who puts $200 worth of parts into a $100 bass. Their opinions are hereby rendered invalid.
:p

I don't always agree with your instrument philosophies, but I'm with you 100% on getting the right pickups. It's hugely important. I have installed Fralins in SXs for a number of forum members. I'm having a custom set of Aeros made for my project MIM Fender PJ that cost more than I spent on the bass itself. The most important mods you can make for any decently made bass are $20 for pots and a jack and as much as you need to spend for your favorite pickups.

• Members

Honestly,
everything
on a T-40 is top notch already.

Agreed.

Honestly, I don't know of anything that is absolutely beneficial to modding a T-40, and I say this from experience. This past summer, I picked up a third T-40 to do some electronics mods to. I added in varitone controls for each pickup as well as dedicated coil taps for each. After dong the mod, I realized that the sound of the T-40 was perfect as is and that I hacked it up without just cause. Honestly, the only possible thing that I could ifnd acceptable to do to a T-40 is the coil tap mod, but YMMV.

• Members

I personally wouldn't lose the original pickups for a set of Dark Stars at any price. I love my Dark Stars, but I'd rather drop them in a P or a J, or a custom build, than ruin such a unique instrument.

Very good point. There is something to be said for keeping it all original.

• Members

putting $200 pups in a $200 bass makes no sense to me. The T40 is a cool bass and all (I have one) but I would never drop that kind of cash into a mod for it. Just my humble opinion

Archived