OT: (and bloggish) Should I move back to NM???

Funkee1

• Members

MY Parody thread got me thinking.......

I really do miss New Mexico, and the cost of living would be cheaper there. Should I move back? I have stayed this long because of my daughters, but I don't see things changing between me and my Ex. I am never going to get the kind of visitation I want, and I can't afford custody.

On the other hand, moving back to NM feels like giving up on my dream of music industry success.

Any suggestions?

• Members

Only you can put a value on being near your daughter's, but as far as career's go you have to place yourself where you have the best chance. My industry is the same way, I have to live where there is opportunity, and not where I would prefer. If you have your foot in the door, have some contacts/jobs that are paying off, and a reasonable chance that you can build off of that and secure a career stay put and bust your ass to make that happen. Otherwise, relocate to where you'd rather live and start working the scene there from scratch. Unless you're already established and working a career job, moving is not that big of a deal and worth it if being somewhere else makes you happier.

• Members

Only you can put a value on being near your daughter's, but as far as career's go you have to place yourself where you have the best chance. My industry is the same way, I have to live where there is opportunity, and not where I would prefer. If you have your foot in the door, have some contacts/jobs that are paying off, and a reasonable chance that you can build off of that and secure a career stay put and bust your ass to make that happen. Otherwise, relocate to where you'd rather live and start working the scene there from scratch. Unless you're already established and working a career job, moving is not that big of a deal and worth it if being somewhere else makes you happier.

When I left New Mexico, I was a big fish in a small pond. Out here, I am a medium sized fish in an ocean. However, its' been 12 years. New Mexico has changed a helluva lot musically. I don't think it'd take me long to find or put together a working band.

But my kids would be so far away........:cry:

On the other hand, I don't get to see them that often now, and it's only a few miles (to be fair to my ex, it's more just that we are all really busy....me/ with the new job, them with school, girl scouts, and etc...)

• Members

When I left New Mexico, I was a big fish in a small pond. Out here, I am a medium sized fish in an ocean. However, its' been 12 years. New Mexico has changed a helluva lot musically. I don't think it'd take me long to find or put together a working band.

Do you think that 10 years from now you could do as good in the music business in NM vs. Cali? Is there enough music opportunity/industry to finance a career and your retirement there, more than where you are at now?

• Members

Do you think that 10 years from now you could do as good in the music business in NM vs. Cali? Is there enough music opportunity/industry to finance a career and your retirement there, more than where you are at now?

Prolly not........but I could play what i want, and have enough extended family and friends that I can work on an original CD, and there's a Wal Mart (or 10) that i can work at!

OTOh, I have that here too.......

• Members

"When I left New Mexico, I was a big fish in a small pond. Out here, I am a medium sized fish in an ocean. However, its' been 12 years. New Mexico has changed a helluva lot musically. I don't think it'd take me long to find or put together a working band."

Bassgeek, Where in New Mexico? I grew up in SoCal and left 30 years ago. I have no idea what the Music scene is like nowadays. I do know that a couple of friends of mine, who were pretty high up the "musical" food chain, left SoCal for Nashville cause L.A. was becoming more and more stagnant musically.

Can you make better money playing out in NM or SoCal. I know, in many larger cities, gigging doesn't pay very well. Sometimes "Big fish in small pond"=Good! It's working for me being in the middle of nowhere (sorta). Typically, 2 bills+ per gig. Depends on whats important to you!

I'm done ramblin' now.

• Members
"When I left New Mexico, I was a big fish in a small pond. Out here, I am a medium sized fish in an ocean. However, its' been 12 years. New Mexico has changed a helluva lot musically. I don't think it'd take me long to find or put together a working band."

Bassgeek, Where in New Mexico? I grew up in SoCal and left 30 years ago. I have no idea what the Music scene is like nowadays. I do know that a couple of friends of mine, who were pretty high up the "musical" food chain, left SoCal for Nashville cause L.A. was becoming more and more stagnant musically.

Can you make better money playing out in NM or SoCal. I know, in many larger cities, gigging doesn't pay very well. Sometimes "Big fish in small pond"=Good! It's working for me being in the middle of nowhere (sorta). Typically, 2 bills+ per gig. Depends on whats important to you!

I'm done ramblin' now.

I grew up in Albuquerque, but would love to live in Santa Fe.

• Members

The fall colors are out, the weather's in the mid 60's day after day, we can hit the beach anytime we want and we live in a fantastic neighborhood. CA rocks.
:thu:

There is traffic any time of day, the housing market is expensive as {censored}, and the people are rude as {censored}ing hell. California sucks...weather is nice but it doesn't take away the fact that it still sucks. I grew up there...and it's turned into an overhyped cesspool.

Of course Oregon sucks too..but in a different way altogether.

Dan

Archived