Whats your favorite conspiracy theory?

sunburstbasser

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nope, but the manuscripts were, and I have met the scientists who've done the carbon dating, and the philologists and paleographers who've dated the writing.
:p

Which, of course, is 100% accurate. The Aramaic translations, that is. And the fact that carbon dating isn't accurate to within that narrow of a gap (you can't prove a difference between 70AD and 200AD using it.)

Even at best, there's a StDev of about an entire generation.

Anyways, you still can't have my girlfriend, regardless of whom you've met. :lol:

• Members
Which, of course, is 100% accurate. The Aramaic translations, that is.

NT wasn't written in Aramaic, it was written in Greek.

And the fact that carbon dating isn't accurate to within that narrow of a gap (you can't prove a difference between 70AD and 200AD using it.)

Incorrect. Standard deviation on Radiocarbon dating is 30 RC years.

Even at best, there's a StDev of about an entire generation.

Which is more than enough to place a difference between 1st and 3rd centuries. The philological and paleographical evidence only narrow the field further.

Anyways, you still can't have my girlfriend, regardless of whom you've met.
:lol:

She'll need someone to comfort her when you're dead :p

• Members
And further translated and bastardized into several languages, the most popular in the US probably being the King James version (just a HANDFUL of centuries later)

KJV was translated from the Greek.

And I don't have stats, but I'd bet the NIV has surpassed it in popularity, since it's such a favorite of the megachurches.

The only significant translation that isn't from the original Greek is the Douay-Rheims, which is the English translation of the Vulgate.

And none of that has anything to do at all with the fact that the oldest NT manuscripts are 2nd century Greek manuscripts, and the authorship on most of the NT (and all of the Gospels) was 1st century, not 3rd...:p

• Moderators

And further translated and bastardized into several languages, the most popular in the US probably being the King James version (just a HANDFUL of centuries later)

The most popular in the US is the NIV not the KJV, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: KK beat me to it while I was trying to find exact sales figures.

• Members

KJV was translated from the Greek.

Not disputing that. Just saying: AGENDA!

And I don't have stats, but I'd bet the NIV has surpassed it in popularity, since it's such a favorite of the megachurches.

NIV is definitely getting more popular. But the KJV was so overread, they needed a new best selling fiction book.

The only significant translation that isn't from the original Greek is the Douay-Rheims, which is the English translation of the Vulgate.

I'm not that into it :p

And none of that has anything to do at all with the fact that the oldest NT manuscripts are 2nd century Greek manuscripts, and the authorship on most of the NT (and all of the Gospels) was 1st century, not 3rd...
:p

My numbers were just examples. Hell it could be the same WEEK and a story can change shape from person to person. How big was that fish ya caught yesterday? heh

• Members

My favourite:

The HAARP (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) in Alaska is actually used for worldwide weather and thought control. It's also responsible for the low-frequency tinnitus (no, they don't mean bass playing by that! :)) some people actually suffer from and it also contributes to global warming, if not completely responsible for that. There are actually people believing this. Of course this transmitter is secretly controlled by one of the various new world order groups mentioned in other conspiracy theories. :poke:

• Moderators
Only for the past 29 years (released 1978). It's definitely gaining more popularity. But KJV is the one that shaped today's modern beliefs with our parents/g-parents.

What "modern beliefs" would those be? My mid 30's wife sits on the Board of Directors at our church and the mid-60's pastor preaches from the NIV. I'm not sure what KJV vs NIV would have to do with any shape.

• Members

What "modern beliefs" would those be? My mid 30's wife sits on the Board of Directors at our church and the mid-60's pastor preaches from the NIV. I'm not sure what KJV vs NIV would have to do with any shape.

Direct quotes and {censored}.

Not saying they're radically different. But NIV didn't get released until 1978. So up until then, KJV was the gold standard here.

You caught up yet?

• Moderators
Direct quotes and {censored}.

Not saying they're radically different. But NIV didn't get released until 1978. So up until then, KJV was the gold standard here.

You caught up yet?

Taking "direct quotes and {censored}" out of context or in proper context is what has shaped "modern beliefs." That has nothing to do with the translations of KJV or NIV. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be caught up with, since I read both versions and more.;)

• Members

Make that 2 head shots within 6 seconds (counting the magic bullet shot). From 250 feet at a moving target using a bolt action rifle. Impressive. Really, really impressive. I mean really, really, really impressive.

Especially for an ex-marine who wasn't that good of a shot when he was in the military. Throw in the angle of the shot, and I'm very skeptical.

My dad taught sniper school for the marine corps and was a sniper for many years and he laughs at the thought of a Oswald making that shot. He said HE would have trouble making that shot under those conditions and he won tons of rifle competitions over the years. Oswald just wan't THAT good. There are many people who are, probably a few hundred world-wide, but not that guy. And definitely not that guy with a mail-order italian rifle.

It would be the lucky shot from hell for Oswald.

• Members
Make that 2 head shots within 6 seconds (counting the magic bullet shot). From 250 feet at a moving target using a bolt action rifle. Impressive. Really, really impressive. I mean really, really, really impressive.

So impressive, it's been repeated by sharpshooters who had no prior experience with the rifle.:rolleyes:

• Members
The target was moving away from the shooter at a slow and consistent speed. The claim that Oswald wasn't a good shot is bogus.

Same ol' BS claims from the conspiracy crowd.
:wave:

he wasn't.

While in the Marines, Oswald was trained in the use of the M-1 rifle. Following that training, he was tested in December of 1956, and obtained a score of 212, which was 2 points above the minimum for qualifications as a sharpshooter. In May 1959, on another range, Oswald scored 191, which was 1 point over the minimum for ranking as a marksman.[16]

^^
per the Warren commission report.

He never even qualified as expert and barely made marksman (the minimum) in 1959.

And a "marksman" in non-military terms (i.e. competitve shooting) is often thougher to achieve than expert in the military. Different standards. Sharpshooter, even moreso.

Is it possible that he made this shot? Sure.... with extra training and preparation. Absolutely. But there is no evidence of that. But it's certainly possible. And the "sharpshooters" that duplicated his shot also did not have the stress and adrenaline to deal with knowing that they were assisinating the POTUS. Also a big difference.

i don't think we'll evern know what truly happened, and it's been debated to death. however, I'm pretty sold that Oswald did not act alone. There were other people involved.

• Members

^^

He never even qualified as expert and barely made marksman (the minimum) in 1959.

And a "marksman" in non-military terms (i.e. competitve shooting) is often thougher to achieve than expert in the military. Different standards. Sharpshooter, even moreso.

So, you don't think it's possible he might have practiced and improved in the time between those tests and the assassination?

• Members

So, you don't think it's possible he might have practiced and improved in the time between those tests and the assassination?

Sure. see my edit. I certainly think that's possible. In fact I would be shocked if someone DIDN'T practice before that kind of a shot.

• Members

And also remember, this guy was court-martialed for accidentally shooting himself in the elbow once. :D He was not a combat vet, he was a radar operator, and not a very good marine.

Could he have improved his weapons skills substantially after he left the Marines? Sure he coud have. But he never demonstrated that kind of skill his entire time in the military. That shot was way above his skill level based on his prior record.

He also tried to assasinate General Edwin Walker in april of that year, and missed him while he was stationary, sitting at his desk, with that same rifle, from 100 feet away and missed.

• Members

^^

Is it possible that he made this shot? Sure.... with extra training and preparation. Absolutely. But there is no evidence of that. But it's certainly possible. And the "sharpshooters" that duplicated his shot also did not have the stress and adrenaline to deal with knowing that they were assisinating the POTUS. Also a big difference.

i don't think we'll evern know what truly happened, and it's been debated to death. however, I'm pretty sold that Oswald did not act alone. There were other people involved.

He hit 49/50 from 200 yards. Regardless of whether or not you believe that makes him a "good shot" or not, he was good enough to hit Kennedy with skill. Not luck. And I wouldn't rule out that suggestion that he was highly motivated and therefore very focused mentally.

It wasn't a terribly difficult shot, anyway.

So, who else was involved? How'd they do it? Did they work with Oswald?

All it takes is great mistrust in government and a bad movie.:wave:

Archived