OT: So I'm making a website and need a host

Renfield

• Members

I feel downright stupid having to ask for some advice on this topic considering what I get paid to do for a living, but here it goes all the same...

A friend is opening a small retail store in town and asked me to make a website for him, as I do this stuff at the day job. The day job was/is my only experience in web design to date, self taught, learn as I go. What that means is that I can design and build a great website, but I came into this company and they had a pre-existing domain registered, pre-existing hosting set up and all that. I just maintain the existing site.

Since this is my only experience in the field, I have never once actually had to go out, register a name, acquire hosting, set up an email account that will match the .com name and so on. And as such, I have NO idea where to start, who is good, who isn't.

In a perfect world I'd like to find one place that will take care of all this stuff. I am a smart, computer savvy guy, I don't need someone to hold my hand, but I do need help getting pointed in the right direction.

Does anyone know of a good hosting/registration company that I can turn to to help get me up and running quickly? Ideally I'd like to pay via Paypal too, I don't have a credit card these days, but do have a verified Paypal account.

• Members

In my experience, as well as my other friends, godaddy was a piece of {censored}. Spend the extra $5 and go somewhere worth your money.

www.surpasshosting.com

I've used them for hosting and domains for years. They actually have a ridiculous holiday special coming up if you can wait a couple of weeks. I've recommended these guys to everyone I know and none of us could be happier. Great uptime, great prices, excellent customer service... What more could you want?

Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, and put my website down as a reference :D

• Members

In my experience, as well as my other friends, godaddy was a piece of {censored}. Spend the extra $5 and go somewhere worth your money.

www.surpasshosting.com

What makes this place more worth my money than go-daddy?

My band is currently overhualing our site currently for the CD launch and won't be on Go-daddy for much longer but it will be much more complex and I won't be handling it.

For just starting out the price and ease of use of go-daddy seems just fine.

• Members

www.surpasshosting.com

I've used them for hosting and domains for years. They actually have a
ridiculous holiday special coming up if you can wait a couple of weeks.
I've recommended these guys to everyone I know and none of us could be happier. Great uptime, great prices, excellent customer service... What more could you want?

Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, and put my website down as a reference
:D

I'll check them out, thanks. Been on GoDaddy less than 2 minutes, and already getting annoyed. I know they say "get this from..." But wow do the added charges add up fast.

To make matters worse, I am Canadian, and they don't like us. I can't register a .ca address with them, and that is what he wants. I know, I know, but what the customer wants...

• Members

My site is hosted with http://ipowerweb.com/ and has been pretty good. Only problem I had was a 2 week period where they did an upgrade and I could not update my site until they got through. But that was 2 weeks out of several years of good service.

(I'm actually a reseller for their hosting, but you can get a better deal going straight to them and not having to help fund my bass habit!) :lol:

• Members

What makes this place more worth my money than go-daddy?

My band is currently overhualing our site currently for the CD launch and won't be on Go-daddy for much longer but it will be much more complex and I won't be handling it.

For just starting out the price and ease of use of go-daddy seems just fine.

Really, the biggest issue is the customer service. I can do most things by myself, granted, but for when I DO need help it's not going to be something some 17 year old kid reading from a cue-card can help me with. Because it's such a large and succesful company, they have those huge help centers with a bunch of ill-qualified employees. Granted, that's just the nature of the beast, I'm just saying. Sort of like how sure, walmart may have certain electronic items cheap, but you certainly don't expect a high level of expertise from the staff.

I've also dealt with issues of domain ownership through godaddy, and I will note that it actually was through them and NOT through an ICANN procedure.

I can't remember what else, if anything, there have been issues with. I never looked back, and neither have my friends on surpass, when they left their old hosts.

edit -- I just realized I seem like I'm super anti-godaddy... I'm sure more people are happy with it than not, so don't let that turn you off. However in my experience it just seems to be another huge company that offers subpar service and support in the interest of small profit on millions of accounts, rather than focusing on several thousand savvy users. Godaddy is fine for grandmas pictures; as for me, I'll stick with surpass for my real sites. :)

• Members

I use http://www.bluehost.com. I'm really happy with it. I find it competitively cheap, they are willing to take care of the domain for you, craploads of space/bandwidth. They have email hosting included with domain/web hosting and it works wonderfully with outlook (their webmail sucks, but that doesn't seem like it will be a problem for you). They are pretty good with communication, I've used it for maybe 2 years now and the rare downtime that I've had was communicated to me beforehand (when they were upgrading servers overnight), or explained immediately afterwards (when they had power issues). So, yeah, I'd recommend them.

• Members

Can I use an FTP program to upload files with Go Daddy? So far I am favoring it if only because I can pay via Paypal.

The majority of hosts will let you do that now. I know all 3 that I've used, do that. As a matter of fact I just credit $25 to my account just on tuesday to pay for my new domain and some other services.

• Members

I use
. I'm really happy with it. I find it competitively cheap, they are willing to take care of the domain for you, craploads of space/bandwidth. They have email hosting included with domain/web hosting and it works wonderfully with outlook (their webmail sucks, but that doesn't seem like it will be a problem for you). They are pretty good with communication, I've used it for maybe 2 years now and the rare downtime that I've had was communicated to me beforehand (when they were upgrading servers overnight), or explained immediately afterwards (when they had power issues). So, yeah, I'd recommend them.

+1

I know some people who are pretty happy with these guys as well. I almost switched to them awhile back to see how it was.

• Members

I use
http://www.bluehost.com
. I'm really happy with it. I find it competitively cheap, they are willing to take care of the domain for you, craploads of space/bandwidth. They have email hosting included with domain/web hosting and it works wonderfully with outlook (their webmail sucks, but that doesn't seem like it will be a problem for you). They are pretty good with communication, I've used it for maybe 2 years now and the rare downtime that I've had was communicated to me beforehand (when they were upgrading servers overnight), or explained immediately afterwards (when they had power issues). So, yeah, I'd recommend them.

They need to be a little more forward on their hosting.

Account Plan: 24 Months clear.gifclear.gif Setup Fee: FREE clear.gifclear.gif Domain Fee: $0.00 clear.gifclear.gif Hosting Fee: $166.80 ($6.95 x 24 months) clear.gifclear.gif You will be billed: $166.80

They don't bill $6.95/mo, they bill it all up-front.

• Members

They need to be a little more forward on their hosting.

Account Plan:
24 Months
clear.gifclear.gif
Setup Fee:
FREE
clear.gifclear.gif
Domain Fee:
$0.00
clear.gifclear.gif
Hosting Fee:
$166.80 ($6.95 x 24 months)
clear.gifclear.gif
You will be billed:
$166.80

They don't bill $6.95/mo, they bill it all up-front.

Do any hosting companies actually bill per month? I was prepared to pay up front, so it wasn't a big deal to me, I just assumed that all companies billed this way.

• Members

Do any hosting companies actually bill per month? I was prepared to pay up front, so it wasn't a big deal to me, I just assumed that all companies billed this way.

Many do. Most of the sites you'll find with the really cheap prices make you pay up front... It's a trade off. Ones that have both monthly/yearly prices almost always offer discounts for up front payment... Usually equates to 2-3 months free.

• Members

GoDaddy, whom i've had for years, bills monthly.

It's on a separate pricing page that says that it's all up-front. When signing up and putting in your information, they fail to mention that it's the whole $166 all at once.

It's cool, I'm on the phone with them now, they're going to kick me down to the 12mo. plan, I don't mind $94, I just had some Xmas shopping to do and $166 is kind of a hit at this time of year for just a hobby website.

Archived