brass nut vs. graphite nut?

FloydianAnimal

• Members

I was thinking of replacing the nut on my Jazz bass, and was thinking of one of those two types of material. What are the differences between the two in terms of sound, feel, etc. if there are any. Is either one particularly good for open strings (I think I heard brass ones are)? I would be using this on a bass with heavy strings tuned to Drop C with EMGs and a Badass III for metal. Any opinions or other suggestions?

• Members

I had a brass nut installed on my old Fretless Precision and loved it because it really improved the clarity of the bass. Recently I had a polished bone nut put on my StingRay 5 and it is awesome. It takes away the harshness that sometimes comes from the brass nuts yet is very sturdy, and looks cool. I've never used the graphite, so I can't make comparisons. My tech commented to me that he always wondered why Ernie Ball would make such a great bass as the StingRay, yet wouldn't put a bone nut on it instead of that crappy plastic nut they use, (by the way it cracked at every notch, that's why I had it replaced).

Johnny

• Members

I had a brass nut installed on my old Fretless Precision and loved it because it really improved the clarity of the bass. Recently I had a polished bone nut put on my StingRay 5 and it is awesome. It takes away the harshness that sometimes comes from the brass nuts yet is very sturdy, and looks cool. I've never used the graphite, so I can't make comparisons. My tech commented to me that he always wondered why Ernie Ball would make such a great bass as the StingRay, yet wouldn't put a bone nut on it instead of that crappy plastic nut they use, (by the way it cracked at every notch, that's why I had it replaced).

Johnny

Thanks. :)

I'm planning on replacing the nut on my 'Ray 5.

• Members

Johnny

Thanks man, good info. Yea the plastic nut on there currently is messed up and needs replacement. So would you say bone is as clear as a brass nut is as well?

• Members

Graphite nuts seem to be popular with guitarists who don't favor locking trems. They claim the strings slide through the nut when bending strings or using the trem, which helps keep them in tune.

I've never heard anyone make a compelling case for graphite nuts on the basis of how they sound. People are just interested in their lubricity.

As for sound, I tend to agree with Kindness on this one: it's tough to beat bone.

Emre

• Moderators

Cool- any info on graphite as well? It seems like that might be a good material from how I've heard it described: that it holds tune well, has a good tone, can be slotted fairly easily, etc.

edit: so maybe something like this:
http://www.guitarstop.com/Graph%20Tech/tremnut.htm

I don't see the need. I make nuts to stabilize the strings within their slots. Being slippery doesn't assist me in that end.

• Members

I use bone for every nut I make. Aside from being brittle (you have to be careful when slotting and you can't drop it), it is nearly ideal.

Just out of interest, whats the difference in terms of sound between brass and bone. The tech I go to was saying I should change the nuts on my SB's to bone instead. They're both brass. :confused:

• Members

Johnny

EB/MM are using a new patented "compensating" nut now...still plastic though, but seems to be fine on mine.

• Moderators

Just out of interest, whats the difference in terms of sound between brass and bone. The tech I go to was saying I should change the nuts on my SB's to bone instead. They're both brass.
:confused:

I've never swapped a brass nut for a bone nut on the same bass, so I have no idea. I've played brass nutted basses and haven't liked them, but that could be attributed to many many many other reasons.

I'd rather work with bone and so would my files. I actually think I'd prefer a zero fret, but I've never made one.

• Moderators

EB/MM are using a new patented "compensating" nut now...still plastic though, but seems to be fine on mine.

I don't see the point in making an innovative nut design and executing it in plastic. Any benefits gained by the compensation are less than the benefits you'd gain by switching to a traditional nut made from a superior material.

• Members

I've never swapped a brass nut for a bone nut on the same bass, so I have no idea. I've played brass nutted basses and haven't liked them, but that could be attributed to many many many other reasons.

I'd rather work with bone and so would my files. I actually think I'd prefer a zero fret, but I've never made one.

Oh I see, I guess thats probably why he wanted me to change...easier on his tools! :lol:

It just wouldn't look the same without the brass though, so I told him not to change it. :)

• Members

I don't see the point in making an innovative nut design and executing it in plastic. Any benefits gained by the compensation are less than the benefits you'd gain by switching to a traditional nut made from a superior material.

Any accountant can tell you why they would choose plastic instead of bone or brass...

C7

• Members

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Plastic can be mass produced and is inexpensive.

Imagine trying to run consistent bone nuts with a machine. You'd have as much breakage as you would finished product, and the QC would be a nightmare. I don't really blame them for using plastic, it's consistent, it's cheap, it's durable for the most part, and it doesn't sound bad.

C7

• Moderators

Imagine trying to run consistent bone nuts with a machine. You'd have as much breakage as you would finished product, and the QC would be a nightmare. I don't really blame them for using plastic, it's consistent, it's cheap, it's durable for the most part, and it doesn't sound
bad

C7

I know I know I know. Rummy bought a new MM Stingray this year and brought it over with the plastic and stickers still on. It was the nicest bass out of the box I've ever laid my hands on. It was better than my Laklands were when I picked them up at the factory. It was way better than my Ric fresh out of the box (what an utter piece of dog{censored} it was coming out of the box - and it was in tune so that was how they intentionally sent it out!). As long as they keep making them like that I won't bitch about the nut.

• Members

I've owned 6 basses, 3 of which have had brass nuts, 3 of which have had plastic.

I could never really tell much of a difference between the materials, especially considering the difference between the basses. I like brass due to the appearance, but I don't really buy basses based on the nut material.

If you can get one pre-slotted, I'd go for brass, but if not, I'd imagine that another material would be easier to work with.

• Moderators

If you can get one pre-slotted, I'd go for brass, but if not, I'd imagine that another material would be easier to work with.

Preslotted? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Preslotted at the right heights and gauges? Never.

I assume you are bringing your sweet basses this weekend. :thu: Don't bring whatever it is you use to fry amps. :eek:

• Moderators

I wasn't being argumentative.
:lol:

I just picture the barrels full of broken bone slivers that are totally worthless except for use as bone meal fertilizer. Talk about loss leader...
:D
C7

I just picture myself running the setup and QC workshop for a small bass manufacturing shop. No need for bs and hype, nothing but solid designs and craftsmanship. It is absolutely impossible for the market to support that level of craftsmanship on a mass produced basis though.

• Members

Preslotted? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Preslotted at the right heights and gauges? Never.

Yeah, it's not likely, but you can sometimes find them.

I assume you are bringing your sweet basses this weekend.
:thu:
Don't bring whatever it is you use to fry amps.
:eek:

I'll bring them all.

And it looks like GK just can't buy good connectors.

• Members

I just picture myself running the setup and QC workshop for a small bass manufacturing shop. No need for bs and hype, nothing but solid designs and craftsmanship. It is absolutely impossible for the market to support that level of craftsmanship on a mass produced basis though.

:poke:

Request:

Can we crank out a bone nut for my OLP sometime in the hear future??

Archived