Peavey Tour 450 vs. GK 700rbII

mikgag

• Members

Both approx same wattage @4 ohm

Both practically indestructible

Both fairly priced

I've read the newer Peaveys sound alot different from the old ones.

Anyone A/B'd them. Which would you use for punk/heavy stoner rock?

:mad:

:bor:

• Members

i like the 700RB alot better.... but for that kinda sound i'd be willing to recommend you the Peavey one.... but what kinda tone are you looking for exactly?

Imagine a punchier/clearer Ampeg kinda thing, still warm'n'dirty, but without the mud. I'd imagine the 700rb with a pedal in front would do it....but I hate pedals.

• Members

i tried a yonger brother... it still had the EQ and all... through a SWR cab... its probably different from the 450...

i can tell the GK 700 is very versatyle, is really clean even in high volumes, and it has that signature GK growl...

imo, the peavey stuff i tried always gave me more of that tone you were looking for then the 700... you should the try the GK first if you can...

and actually, for that kinda tone, what i would recommend would be the GK 800RB, which you can get for about 350$ on ebay! that would melt your face!

• Members

i tried a yonger brother... it still had the EQ and all... through a SWR cab... its probably different, but i can tell the GK 700 although very versatyle is really clean, although it has that signature growl...

imo, the peavey stuff i tried always gave me more of that tone you were looking for then the 700... you should the try the GK first if you can...

and actually, for that kinda tone, what i would recommend would be the GK 800RB, which you can get for about 350$ on ebay! that would melt your face!

that isn't what I asked, where did you try the 450...

• Members

i didnt, but the peavey stuff i tried shouldnt be too far off from that, unless it is really THAT different :poke:

yes it is, so stop leading mikgag astray please... because as usual, you present your opinion as though you have tried the 450.

you need to be more clear on what basis you are providing recommendation.

• Members

This is just hearsay, but from what I've been told there are some QC issues with those Peavey Tour series

I've read about those.....I also think I'm leaning towards the GK, since I {censored}ing hate graphic eq's on bass heads.:mad:

• Members

I've read about those.....I also think I'm leaning towards the GK, since I {censored}ing hate graphic eq's on bass heads.
:mad:

i like the eq's actually,especially if they come with a footswitch, but theyre a major pain the ass because you'll always spend time fiddling with it, and i dont know enough about fiddling around with them to actually buy more then a 7 band EQ pedal... and still, i have a hard time with those! :poke:

• Members

So the 800Rb is voiced more on the warmer/vintage side than the 700rbII??

It's only 300w, is it "overrated" like other GK heads?

• Members

So the 800Rb is voiced more on the warmer/vintage side than the 700rbII??

It's only 300w, is it "overrated" like other GK heads?

trust me, you have no idea how loud that head is... loudest solid state i have ever heard....

"So the 800Rb is voiced more on the warmer/vintage side than the 700rbII??"

definitly... and anyway, if youre going for the 700RBII, i'd recommend spending 100$ more dollars and buying the 1001RBII :love:

Archived