question for the headless/steinie guys...

playdrums

• Members

I'm looking at getting this bridge off of ebay (yeah, I know it's a cheapo) and building a headless bass with my dad. We've built a few basses together and I decided I want to try building a headless.

I'm not familiar at all with steinberger-type bridges, and have no idea how they work. I guess the thing that's confusing me is how the hell you're able to get enough torque to tune the thing with those small knobs. :freak: Anyone care to share any pros/cons on this type of bridge?

• Members

I guess the thing that's confusing me is how the hell you're able to get enough torque to tune the thing with those small knobs.

The ratio is something like 40:1, in contrast to standard tuners that are in the neighborhood of 18:1. That helps.

Emre

• Members

Is it a pain in the ass to set up and keep in tune?

Not at all. You set it up just like any other bridge. You can adjust the saddle heights and intonation using small Allen head socket screws.

As for keeping in tune...it's hard to knock it out of tune! I literally traveled all over Europe with my Steinberger and never touched the tuners. The bass simply does NOT go out of tune. Of course, the graphite neck plays a large part: it's practically impervious to changes in temp and humidity.

But the tuners also play a role. You can't knock them out of tune on stage or by putting the bass into a gigbag the way you can with conventional tuners. They're kind of "protected" by the body.

And changing all 5 strings is a 2-3 minute job. Untwist the tuners, pop the old string out, pop the new string in, twist it back up. It literally takes 15-20 seconds per string. No cutting. No winding. Nothing.

It's really a brilliant design.

Emre

• Members

My advice would be.... don't buy this S*** !!!!

I speak very seriously. here is my experience:

Few month ago, i felt in love with headless "stick" bass concept. I looked for one and try this kind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Starfire-headless-4-string-electric-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ260161913198QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

When i say this kind, it's because i didn't bought this one, but her sister. if you look on the bay, you will find other headless bass from other vendors and sometimes other "brands" which look exactly the same (because they come from the same firm, and names are added after). The one i bought was exactly the same but i bought it to a deutch vendor. When i receive it.... OMG :mad:

it was a crappy piece of S***, and had exactly the same bridge as the one you want to buy (compare pics !! ) They say that you can use simple ball strings, but it's a real pain to tuen the bass: knob are way too hard to turn, got a lot of gap, like they were close to fall....

i don't talk about the neck, which was terrible, and the sound.... if i can call it a sound ? more buzz than sound, and a thin, sterile, awfull sound...

I had paid it only 140 euros new, but it was really S***.. Glad the vendor had a return policy and was honnest: he returned me all the money when i sended back the bass.

Then, i spended more money (300 euros) to finally find a hohner B2 in mint condition, which is completly another world, and a real correct quality for price. And the bridge is a "real" licensed copy from steinie, which use double ball, ok, but works fine and bang for the bucks.

If i were you, i would look after a hohner and use hohner bridge to build my bass. But please AVOID THIS ONE YOU SHOWED US !!!!

edit:

here the one i bought to this vendor:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/H-S-Headless-headless-bass-4-string-Cult-bass_W0QQitemZ270190710615QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

• Members

I can't speak for the bridge you're looking at... but the real Steinberger stuff is excellent. It works... it's simple and easy... and it can withstand a nuclear war.

If you can find real Steinberger hardware... I would suggest using that instead of the copy you posted.

• Members

Appreciate the input, doods. I think I'll take basste's advice and not bid on that cheap ass bridge and hold out for a real steinie bridge to hit the 'bay. I see them come and go all the time so it should be easy to get one when I get closer to the build. I'll have the $$ for it then too.

Now I just need to decide if I want a boat paddle or a Status style bass.

Anyway, I'll be back with more questions once I start the build, I'm sure. Thanks...

• Members

As for keeping in tune...it's hard to knock it
out
of tune! I literally traveled all over Europe with my Steinberger and never touched the tuners. The bass simply does NOT go out of tune. Of course, the graphite neck plays a large part: it's practically impervious to changes in temp and humidity.

Even on my wooden-necked spirit, it stayed in tune much better than any other instrument.

*checks ebay again*

Archived