Changing speakers

Rocknrumble

• Members

helps to have new speakers with the same Theil-small specs. Seeing that it's unlikely, get ones that are very near. (Of course, this is assuming that it's actually possible to find those specs.) Theil-small specs define the size and tuning of a speaker cabinet. The speaker and cabinet work together to create sound. When they don't work well together, results can be bad.

It's more of an art than a science. But swapping speakers just for fun, gets expensive quick.

What is the final goal? Louder? More power handling? Better sound? (That's the one that would be hardest to achieve.) Note that greater power handling doesn't mean louder.

• Members

If I wanted to change out the speakers in my cabs, is there anything I need to know, besides making sure they have the right resistance?

are you just swapping and hoping for more bass or are the ones you have damaged or inferior quality and make

from my basic knowledge...go for the same ohms..wattage..and SPL (think i got that right)

and of course size!!

they should all fit the same flange drillings

edit..and choose a decent manufacturer..which they probably all are...i got eminence delta

• Members

I have 2 x Ampeg BSE410, 8 ohms, 200 watts with a horn. I'm looking to increase the power handling, so I can look at a more powerful head. I figured that buying new speakers would still be cheaper than a new cab, but if it's that touchy to do, I'll pass on the idea.

The two cabs combined handle 400 watts, and one head I'm considering is rated at 480 watts at 4 ohms. Is that 80 watts difference enough to damage the speakers, or could I get away with it?

• Moderators

I have 2 x Ampeg BSE410, 8 ohms, 200 watts with a horn. I'm looking to increase the power handling, so I can look at a more powerful head. I figured that buying new speakers would still be cheaper than a new cab, but if it's that touchy to do, I'll pass on the idea.

The two cabs combined handle 400 watts, and one head I'm considering is rated at 480 watts at 4 ohms. Is that 80 watts difference enough to damage the speakers, or could I get away with it?

That amp will not do any damage to the cabinets unless you clip the power section significantly, don't pay attention to the stressed out sounds your cabs are making and keep cranking the amp until something blows. In other words, your cabs will tell you something is wrong before you do any harm.

The most important quality for those cabinets is whether they get loud enough for you. If you have 400 watts or more available and you have 8 - 10" speakers, your problem won't be power or number of drivers, it'll be quality and efficiency of the speakers. If you find yourself pushing that amp to its limits, you need a more efficient set of speakers. The best plan for that is again to but a new cabinet designed for greater efficiency. It is always a touchy subject to modify an existing design for a different end goal.

Archived