Will the DigiTech BP200 Bass Processor work for guitar?

BlueEcho811

• Members

Anything will work on bass or guitar. How well is the real question. There might be better options out there for you, but I'm not a fan of Digitech stuff...

What are you trying to accomplish with this unit?

Mainly for recording guitar and bass tracks w/ effects. I play progressive metal / jazz.

• Members

How would you be recording? Most effects are added in the mixing process. That way you can add/change things at will instead of being stuck with one sound.

I'm running my instruments directly into a behringer 8 input mixer, then running a 1/4" to 1/8" to my computer and using audacity to record.

• Members

Does Audacity have any plug ins? I know it's free...so I doubt it does, but they might have something in the way of effects built in as well.

If I was in your situation, I'd look for a used POD XT. They have decent effects, and their amp models might be better than what you're using right now as well. They can easily be had right in that price range too...

They also have model packs that you can add...like an Effects Model Pack, or the Bass Model Pack.

I'm sure there are other options as well, I'm just personally familiar with this one and it works.

• 12 years later...
38 minutes ago, Taby said:

It is meant specifically for base. But the question i have is does it work for guitar?

According to the link in the OP, the BP200 has the following:

• 11 award-winning amp models
  • 20 effects include compression, cab modeling, 3-band EQ, noise gate, auto swell, chorus flanger, phaser, vibrato, octavider, envelope filter, detuner, pitch shifter, 3 delays, and 6 reverbs

Will it "work" with guitar? Yes, it should, at least to some degree... but it isn't optimized for it - it's designed for use with bass, so the amp models it has are most likely based on bass amps, not guitar amps, so things like distortion / overdrive may not be there, or won't be the same types as you might expect from a guitar amp model if they are. That may also apply to some of the included effects too, although some of them will probably be similar enough to various guitar effects to work okay... but if you have a choice, I'd look for something that is designed specifically for guitar (such as the similar DigiTech RP200 guitar processor) instead if you're looking for optimal results. But if you have one available and sitting there that you can test, you're not going to hurt anything by trying it out with a guitar and seeing what you think. You might like it just fine. 🙂

BTW, welcome to Harmony Central. :wave:

• Moderators

Similar to what  Phil said: will it work? Certainly. Will you like it? Only you can answer that, and only after you try it.

IIRC, I used a BP200 for guitar a while back. I don't remember for sure, as it was stolen several years ago, but I think it was a BP200. Anyway, I found that it worked fine for me and my purposes.

Archived