Essential power pop/alt rock: what to buy?

BeeTL

• Members

Hahaha! But it's TRUE!!

Hey, what about Jellyfish? I've only heard some of their stuff but it's great!

Yep! Good one!

I have their Bellybutton CD (the first of thee I think) and it's one of my all time favorites!

Also - The Rembrandts - LP

Bodeans - Blend

Cheap Trick - Rockford

XTC - Oranges and Lemons

Squeeze - The Singles

PD

• Moderators
One of my absolute favorite artists/bands, and one I think could be described as residing somewhere on that border between power-pop and 'alternative' is
Guided By Voices
(Robert Pollard) - can't recommend them enough.

Start with:

514VHENSEEL._AA240_.jpg41YF1E8XNZL._AA240_.jpg

Add Mag Earwig to that list

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was definitely going to recommend Welcome Interstate Managers by Fountains of Wayne. I love that record. Traffic and Weather is really good too, with the repeated nods to the Hollies all over it.

The Hollies are good too, you know.

I have the Raisins LP on vinyl. That's really good, and has one of my favorite guitar solos ever on it ("Fear Is Never Boring"). Rob Fetters is an amazing guitar player, and that tune in particular has an amazing solo on it. Can't go wrong with the Bears or Psychodots either, I have several of those.

I heard a tune by The Hives last night that I thought was pretty cool. Not exactly power pop, but not exactly not either. I don't know anything about them, but I kind-of liked the tune I heard.

Definitely pick up that Fountains of Wayne record. That's just really a great one.

• Members

There are a lot of suggestions in this thread that are great music and great bands, but definitely not power-pop at all. It might be useful to divide or get 2 'lists' of suggestions - some power-pop, some 'alternative' - and sheez, there's a LOAD of stuff out there that falls into that 'alternative' category these days...

Archived