Les Claypool Sound

mooglebear

• Members

As anyone on here im sure we all hold a great amount of respect for this leg-end. I dont have a frettless, but i do want to acheive his treble crunchy sound, i have a warwick $$ 5 string- surely there is someone with a good-enough ear to give us a hand:cop:

Ta:evil:

• Members

To get an good Claypoolian cop, ya gotta be a little sloppy also. And I don't mean that disparagingly (word?), as he's in my Top 3 all time.

That's what I was thinking as well. Set the action low with not too much neck relief. That will give you some of the "buzz and clack" that Claypool is known for. Throw in some stainless steel roundwounds with a bright sound, like DR Hi Beams or Fat Beams. Bump the mids and treble slightly.

Claypool used to have this strange rig where he sent his signal through a modified ADA MP-1 guitar preamp for some tube crunch. Then it went to an SWR SM-400 and finally out through a pair of Mesa 2x15" + horn cabs. That was a big part of his sound.

I don't know about what Claypool is doing these days. But back in the early 1990's with Primus, that was his rig.

Emre

• Members

That's what I was thinking as well. Set the action low with not too much neck relief. That will give you some of the "buzz and clack" that Claypool is known for. Throw in some stainless steel roundwounds with a bright sound, like DR Hi Beams or Fat Beams. Bump the mids and treble slightly.

Claypool used to have this strange rig where he sent his signal through a modified ADA MP-1 guitar preamp for some tube crunch. Then it went to an SWR SM-400 and finally out through a pair of Mesa 2x15" + horn cabs. That was a big part of his sound.

I don't know about what Claypool is doing these days. But back in the early 1990's with Primus, that was his rig.

Emre

IIRC, he went through a Mesa period as well, using the Powerhouse 1x15 - 4x10 cabs with Mesa heads. I think he uses Ampeg stuff now (I seem to recall ads with him pushing the SVT 3-Pro), but I don't know for sure.

• Members

:freak:

wow cheers guys this stuff is amasin, never been a fan of forums but the response was just great. I will try a mixture of more pyhsical adjustments and the rough EQ guide, I'm not trying to copy the guy, its almost impossible, i just love some of the sounds he produces, alot of it is in the frettless trem-bar 6 string.

Lava cables i will defenitly look into.

• Members

Emre

I've only seen a Mesa 400+ as long as I've ever seen him play, but otherwise you are correct sir!

• Moderators

Clayfool is a wanker at best sorry but that my opinion never heard him do anything I thought was even remotely good.

Tommy the Cat.

Of course as you stated it's all opinion, but to call him a wanker is a bit of a stretch, IMHO. A lot of people on this forum consider Flea a wanker, too. I don't see it. I may have no desire to play that genre or bass style, but I will admit it takes a bit more than just knowing your fretboard.

• Members

YOUR WELCOME
:thu:
Sorry I didn't contribute any thing to the thead but everything I've ever heard him do was just wankage in my book but to each his own.

Have you ever heard an actual Primus song? Just wondering. He's written quite a few over the years. :)

Not to mention his countless side projects. I find it hard to get "just wankage" into 3:20, but hey, maybe he can do it! :thu:

• Members

I remember watching his tech play his bass and it sounded completely different. That was the exact moment where I realized that it's how he strikes the bass with his hands that makes the difference.

I am very able to make my bass sound like it does when his tech plays it, though.

• Members

YOUR WELCOME
Sorry I didn't contribute any thing to the thead but everything I've ever heard him do was just wankage in my book but to each his own.

I somewhat understand where your coming from it just comes across as short sighted he's contributed a tremendous amount of material to the art rock scene I admit I can only handle small doses as well however he's awfully prolific in the rock bass world. :D

• Members

I'm more thud than twang.

Flea picks a Telecaster?? :confused::confused:

Who knew??

Archived