Writing Basslines Question

Thunderbroom

• Members

As some of you know, I'm starting to work with the singer in my band on her originals. Many of her songs don't fit in with our band, so she's starting to do gigs in Chicago either solo or with a guy playing lead along with her on acoustic/vocals.

I'm going to start playing fretless (and eventually upright) bass with her. I'm sitting in next Thursday night. We're not going to practice. We're just showing up and playing. Due to the brief time I have to familiarize myself with her tunes, my playing will be minimal at this first gig. My basslines will be simplistic and I likely won't play the whole hour. I have crude recordings of a few of her songs and am learning them now and will get a few more at our band rehearsal on Friday night. I'm taking my Zoom on Friday and recording some of her songs then to work on a little before next Thursday.

Anyhow, there's a part in one of her songs where she goes back and forth between A and Am a few times. For some reason I've been led to believe that you must play the root on the one, but I'm finding that alternating from the root on the A to the C (minor third) on the Am sounds pretty good. Is that "wrong"? It sounds fine to me.

• Members

Agreed. If it sounds good, do it.

I've caught a little slack from Jazz cats in the past for playing major 7th's over dominant chords. I don't do it all the time, just once in a while to add a little spice. But to me, it really adds a nice tension/release when approaching a new chord.

Whatever sounds good, man... that's my motto. :thu:

• Members

Exactly right about the third - you're underscoring it. I think the best thing to keep in mind when doing tunes you don't know real well is that part of of the Hippocratic oath that physicians take - "above all else do no harm".

Whatever you can do help support her tunes will be great, I'm sure. :thu:

• Members

Nothing is ever wrong if it sounds good! I don't care how busy or boring my lines are, as long as they fit the song and sound good.

Here's a problem with thinking this way:

I used to jam with some guys, and because I'm working on my ear, I refused to stop them and ask what chord or chord progression they were playing. I'd jump in and rely on my ear to play something that sounded good.

The guitarist used to ride my ass because he was expecting to hear the root note from me. He'd go home and listen to our recording and then offer a roundabout apology because he'd hear that what we played AS A GROUP sounded really good.

Basically, I might be playing the 3rd or 5th instead of the root. Maybe I'd put something underneath his 9th-chord that made it sound "good" but was different from what he expected.

More to Thunderbroom's question ...

Your puzzle has a lot to do with the people/person you're playing with. Speaking in the broadest terms, it's a "jazzy" thing to do if you don't play the root on beat 1. Also, the bass in some Caribbean musics regularly invert chords. It's not criminal to do these things in rock, blues, etc, but if the people you're playing with get rattled when you play something other than the root, you've got options. Among them:

1. Can you explain to the person what you're doing, and have them say, "Ok, cool."? Or,

2. Are they leaning on the bassist for the root, and anything else will make them think they're lost in the song form??? Thus, you're as much a tour guide as you are a bassist. So, you play the root and help hold everything together.

One other thing. As the bassist, you can play any note that you want to. The problem is with some notes you're gonna have a whole lot of explaining to do. ;)

• Moderators

All good points above. One more thing to consider is the vocal melody. I find that when I am constructing lines in songs like Katie's, I harmonize the vocal melody more than the guitar progression. You might be taking a cue from what you are hearing that makes that C even more appropriate.

• Moderators

. . . . .One more thing to consider is the vocal melody. I find that when I am constructing lines in songs like Katie's, I harmonize the vocal melody more than the guitar progression. You might be taking a cue from what you are hearing that makes that C even more appropriate.

+1. You beat me to the punch about the vocals. If she is singing during the A-Am portion, harmonizing a line with her vocal is a really strong possibility. Also, T-Broom, you have something going with the C. If she's not singing or that doesn't work for you, perhaps try something back and forth between A-C# when she's playing the A and A - C when she's playing the minor. A - passing E - C# . . . . .A - passing E - C.

PS - nice avatar change, T-Broom.:thu:

• Members

Ever heard of "relative minors"? That is not cousins who are under 18 (:D). Cmajor has a relative minor, which means minor scale that has the exact same sharps and flats, and follows the same step pattern.

It sounds right to you because Cmajor and a minor are the same scale. Am is the relative minor to Cmaj. Make sense????

• Members

Here's a problem with thinking this way:

I'm confused. I still don't see the problem you speak of. You explained how playing a note other than the root became beneficial after your guitarist heard it, right? Which enforces what T Broom is doing by playing the 3rd instead of a root. He asks if this is ok to play, and I replied by saying as long as it sounds good. Sounds like we're all on the same page.

• Moderators

I'm confused. I still don't see the problem you speak of. You explained how playing a note other than the root became beneficial after your guitarist heard it, right? Which enforces what T Broom is doing by playing the 3rd instead of a root. He asks if this is ok to play, and I replied by saying as long as it sounds good. Sounds like we're all on the same page.

In context, Tbroom will be playing these songs for the first time with the singer at the gig. The last thing he wants to do it confuse her or throw her off, even if later she would agree it sounded good.

• Members

Ever heard of "relative minors"? That is not cousins who are under 18 (
:D
). Cmajor has a relative minor, which means minor scale that has the exact same sharps and flats, and follows the same step pattern.

It sounds right to you because Cmajor and a minor are the same scale. Am is the relative minor to Cmaj. Make sense????

Beat me to it. :thu:

Another way to look at it. the 3rd of a chord is very important in the voicing of the chord, in making the chord sound like it does. Much moreso than the 5, especially when going from A to Am. The C is the note that changes the feel from A to Am, so it can be very appropriate.

Archived