It's Chili Time

Apendecto

• Members

i made a batch a little while ago with some ground buffalo. quite tasty.

i generally do meat (if i want to), a ton of bell peppers/garlic/onions, a couple jalapenos and a couple different types of dried peppers (anchos, chipotle, and new mexico all work well), a can of kidney beans, a can of black beans, a can of corn, a can of beef broth and a can of tomato puree. store-bought chili powder is good, but i always add more cayanne and more cumin.

my secret weapon: a bit of dark chocolate melted in. the sweetness really complements the heat of the peppers.

• Members

Check this out. It's the definitive chili recipe site.

http://www.chili.org/recipes.html

I use meat (cubed beef, pork, or mutton, or ground beef), ground dried chili pepper, beans, and onion. I like to keep it simple.
:D

I'm sure those recipes are good but the only true ingredient is beef....the rest is spices. Most of them have broth, meat and spice. No beans, onions, peppers, etc? What's up with that?

I want some tomatoes in my chili....although beer sounds good.

Yo.

• Members

do you guys freeze the chili?

I do. But I would freeze it in several batches. For some reason, when you freeze and cook and freeze and cook chili, all the heat disappears. Reheated frozen chili is good, though. I usually let it thaw slowly under low heat.

Yo.

• Members

I'm sure those recipes are good but the only true ingredient is beef....the rest is spices. Most of them have broth, meat and spice. No beans, onions, peppers, etc? What's up with that?

Texas Chili has no fillers like beans. it even says so in the CASI rule book:

• CMS Author

I don't do Texas Chili, because I like the stuff they leave out.

My recipe is straight from the Good Housekeeping cookbook...

2lb ground beef

1tb cooking oil

1/2 clove fresh garlic diced

1 pepper diced

1 med onion diced

Chili powder to taste (I use about 1/2 jar of McCormick's)

2 large cans diced tomato

1 small can tomato paste

2 16oz cans beans (any variety you like)

salt and pepper to taste, if desired

Any other hot peppers to taste if desired

Heat the garlic in oil, brown the beef (for less fat, brown the beef separately and drain off the fat).

Add onions, heat until tender but don't brown them

Add remaining ingredients *except* beans. Bring to a boil 5 minutes.

Reduce heat, simmer at least 20 min (the longer you can simmer, the better the peppers mix) and add beans 20 min before serving.

• CMS Author

If Hotblack or any NY'ers are reading this.....if you find yourself in lower midtown, go check out Mike's American Bar & Grill on 10th Ave near the corner of 11th and W 42nd St. They used to serve a smokin' hot chicken chili. They claimed nobody could finish a bowl and I believe it....I got three mouthfuls before surrendering like an abject failure......In fairness they had warned me, "you can't handle the chili!"

The rest of their food was good.

• Members

They used to serve a smokin' hot chicken chili. They claimed nobody could finish a bowl and I believe it....I got three mouthfuls before surrendering like an abject failure......In fairness they had warned me, "you can't handle the chili!"

The rest of their food was good.

I don't get that. What's the point of making something so spicy you can't even enjoy it?

I make it with a beef/pork mix, tomatoes, jalapenos and a couple of habaneros, a touch of curry powder (trust me on this) and onions. Kidney beans are nice too.

I like a pleasant heat, but not anything painful.

• Members

im making a vegan chilli for myself and my band at the weekend.

ditching the meats and hitting it with various dried beans. the bag says mexican cowboy beans, and mexican black beans. and some other canned beans. ..

chopped tomato, onion, peppers, smoked paprika.

jalapenos, habaneros and some small red chilli's which are getting fried off with the onions.

i made some a few months back with enchiladas while staying at my parents house. went down pretty good

• CMS Author

I don't get that. What's the point of making something so spicy you can't even enjoy it?

I make it with a beef/pork mix, tomatoes, jalapenos and a couple of habaneros, a touch of curry powder (trust me on this) and onions. Kidney beans are nice too.

I like a pleasant heat, but not anything painful.

It's strictly a 'thing' to try, and has nothing at all to do with enjoying a meal, at least in my opinion. I tried it because I was there with work buddies and we were having a good time, so the challenge and the experience was fun. I've eaten few foods that actually made my lips burn and numbed my tongue.

But for 'real' food, I like my spices to add something to the meal, not be the main event. Hence my chili has some kick, but even people who are sensitive to hot foods can still enjoy it.

Archived