thinking of selling the ripper but, the question is...

Guttermouth

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't heard that before. I just got my bass in July, so it'd be over a year before I could talk myself into buying another bass. I hope they fix their {censored} in the next year or so.

I keep hearing the same things about Gibson and Fender. Do all 'vintage' manufacturers have bad QC?

• Members

I keep hearing the same things about Gibson and Fender. Do all 'vintage' manufacturers have bad QC?

well,i think it's really more of a function of trying to compete.i know guys that worked at gibson in the 60's and talk about cutting guitars up with a saw because the top had some funky grain in it.you can't cut guitars up anymore and turn a profit and so i think the mind set is "just put everything out and let the customer sort through the good and bad ones".

the last time i bought a les paul it took damn near 6 months of shopping every week to find one that i thought lived up to the name. and it wasn't new.

• Members

what would i get with the proceeds????

if i was to sell it i would be left with the eb-0 and soon to be completed p bass (w/t40 pickup) project bass.

musicman or g&l maybe?

i'm figuring the ripper will bring between 850 -1000.00.

what would you get ?

Get the MM dude, I just got one, used it last night at practice, and holy crap! I loves it!

and when the whole band stops and listens you know its good!

• Members

• Members

i'd seriously keep the Ripper...

but...

the model i'd get:

or the 5-string

if i had 1750$ i could spend right now, that's what i'd buy...

Did you even read the thread?

Hell the first post?

$1k is the budget...

• Members

the only reason i'm hesitant about a musicman is all the talk about them being really inconsistent ( one being crap and the next being killer etc...)

I've never heard that. I've owned about 8-10 and played countless MM and, IMO, they have all been very consistent, excellent basses. The only thing for me is, IMO, they don't sound right with a pick.

My new band played last night. The bassist in the band after us had a MM Ray. He was playing finger style and some slap/popping. The bass sounded pretty sweet.

• Members

I would keep the ripper; but those are one of my fav basses. You may be tired of it. I have an '84 MIJ Fender Jazz & it kicks ass! Sounds/plays great, etc. I picked it up for $430 w/ hsc. For that price you could get a MIJ Fender P as well (like I did...). Those rippers are getting harder to find every day. Take it out & mess around with it a bit; you may find you want to keep it! Matt : )

• Members

I've never heard that. I've owned about 8-10 and played countless MM and, IMO, they have all been very consistent, excellent basses. The only thing for me is, IMO, they don't sound right with a pick.

My new band played last night. The bassist in the band after us had a MM Ray. He was playing finger style and some slap/popping. The bass sounded pretty sweet.

hmmm...

that's good to know.they must have just had a sketchy batch of wood a couple of years ago then.

• Members

I would keep the ripper; but those are one of my fav basses. You may be tired of it. I have an '84 MIJ Fender Jazz & it kicks ass! Sounds/plays great, etc. I picked it up for $430 w/ hsc. For that price you could get a MIJ Fender P as well (like I did...). Those rippers are getting harder to find every day. Take it out & mess around with it a bit; you may find you want to keep it! Matt : )

oh - it's definitely a kick ass bass.but, i only use it for it's p-ish tones and i like the p neck a bit better.rippers are awesome-mine's just not getting any play time.

• Members

No, not at all.

I think that is an older QC issue that they've already worked out.

L2000s are for sale over at the other place all the time. You should be able to find one.

that's what i was thinking but, i didn't use the active setup alot when i had it and couldn't remember.

i saw that blueburst one yesterday and had problems not pulling the trigger :)

• Members

oh - it's definitely a kick ass bass.but, i only use it for it's p-ish tones and i like the p neck a bit better.rippers are awesome-mine's just not getting any play time.

Man, you so need to keep that bass. So what that it get's little play time, it's there when you DO want it though, and that's what really matters. You will not be able to replace that bass, and someday you WILL miss it and regret that it's gone, especially if you trade it for any of the dime-a-dozen G&L's, Fender's etc. Keep what is not replaceable, no matter how little you actually use it, and keep trading away/up with the other replaceable one's. This is fact.

Archived