thinking of selling the ripper but, the question is...

Guttermouth

• Members

A proper T-40 and a Dano Longhorn.
:D

Nah, I'd go for a G&L ASAT if I were you, but then again, I have a strange lust for Tele shaped basses.

haha

well i'm gonna have the t-40 thing covered without the weight. i'll be posting up first pics of the project in the next couple of days.i think it's gonna be killer.

and.......

tele shaped instruments in general > everything else.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

old mia = overpriced imho.

but I haven't played one to comment properly, however you could buy one partially as an investment... they seem to keep going up in value.

oh yeah -definitely. i was thinking late 80's ish. old enough to be dried out and sound good but not old enough to be collectible :thu:

• Members

the only reason i'm hesitant about a musicman is all the talk about them being really inconsistent ( one being crap and the next being killer etc...)

You must be thinking of Fender. :p

EBMM is highly acclaimed for it's consistency in its products last time I checked, and I'm inclined to agree based on what I've tried.

• Members

i meant from a sound and resonance standpoint. there's no question about the build quality but, i have heard several people now say that it took going through a batch of them before they found a " good " one. being as there's no local dealers it will have to be ordered unplayed.

all this is just secondhand info i've heard from guys that work in shops and that own them. it could be totally off bass :idk:

• Members

i meant from a sound and resonance standpoint. there's no question about the build quality but, i have heard several people now say that it took going through a batch of them before they found a " good " one. being as there's no local dealers it will have to be ordered unplayed.

all this is just secondhand info i've heard from guys that work in shops and that own them. it could be totally off bass
:idk:

Seems to me it's one of those love to hate type scenarios, you know the kind.. that say that Sadowskys or Dream Theatre suck for instance, it's a kind of self elevation... the psychology is of course that they are trying to give you the impression that if they think that they suck then what ever their preference is, must be of greater value than what they are critiquing/they have sufficient technical/intellectual...etc prowess, to be able to find imperfections in something that refined.

• Members

aaaargh.

what a killer sounding bass. you make any money off it?

Yes, I made a bit. I am almost at the point that through buying/selling gear I've made enough profit to pay for all of my gear. I hope to be there soon. :thu:

Side note, I intend to buy a US made L2000 to get the skinny neck. That bass sounded awesome.

• Members

Seems to me it's one of those love to hate type scenarios, you know the kind.. that say that Sadowskys or Dream Theatre suck for instance, it's a kind of self elevation... the psychology is of course that they are trying to give you the impression that if they think that they suck then what ever their preference is, must be of greater value than what they are critiquing/they have sufficient technical/intellectual...etc prowess, to be able to find imperfections in something that refined.

well,

this was coming from dudes who owned 'em. the general vibe i got was that they were like les pauls or sg's where you had to go through a few before finding a good one.

not that the bad ones are nessecarily "bad" just not as good as the "good"ones (if that makes any sense).

...god i hate the lack of voice inflection over the internet:rolleyes:

:)

• Members

Yes, I made a bit. I am almost at the point that through buying/selling gear I've made enough profit to pay for all of my gear. I hope to be there soon.
:thu:

Side note, I intend to buy a US made L2000 to get the skinny neck. That bass sounded awesome.

sweet. good to hear you made some bread off it.

i broke even a while back so all my gear related purchases are "free". it's nice not to feel guilty for dropping a bunch of money on gear :thu:

• Members

Yeah I understand, I think the same applies to any bass though, some 'rays i'm sure are superior and some inferior, but i've never read that it was a notable characteristic in their QC.

I think you would be pretty safe with one, the Jazz and Tribute seems like a better idea if you want to expand rather than focus on a tone... if you have never owned a 'ray though I would try one for a while just for the experience, they are a bit special, like a Ric.

• Members

Yeah I understand, I think the same applies to any bass though, some 'rays i'm sure are superior and some inferior, but i've never read that it was a notable characteristic in their QC.

I think you would be pretty safe with one, the Jazz and Tribute seems like a better idea if you want to expand rather than focus on a tone... if you have never owned a 'ray though I would try one for a while just for the experience, they are a bit special, like a Ric.

right. for all i know it could have been a dodgy batch of wood 10 years ago :)

iirc the l2k pulled off the stingray sound quite well.maybe i'll go with a usa l2k with a big fat neck.mmmmm.......

• Members

Since you are technically inclined I would say go with the L2k. It's simply a better bass minus all the noisy electronics (which you could fix most likely). It kicks the hell out of any Musicman IMO.

Dan

well, the only thing with the l2k i didn't dig was the unfinished neck (i lacquered the last one) and the electronics were pretty straightforward.i don't remember mine being overly hissy though.

i think you may be right. i might just go with another l2k and tweak it accordingly.

• Members

Yes, I made a bit. I am almost at the point that through buying/selling gear I've made enough profit to pay for all of my gear. I hope to be there soon.
:thu:

do you remember the tribute being noisy?

• Members

H 'rays seem to get a really thick funky rumble from that humbucker, my Sandberg comes close like you say about the Tribute but it's not quite there...

I'm bias because I don't like G&L, I lurrrrve Jazz basses though :)

Put it this way, you can't make a wrong choice with anything that has been suggested so far.

Except that Valenti... just can't imagine you holding it!

• Members

H 'rays seem to get a really thick funky rumble from that humbucker, my Sandberg comes close like you say about the Tribute but it's not quite there...

I'm bias because I don't like G&L, I lurrrrve Jazz basses though
:)

Put it this way, you can't make a wrong choice with anything that has been suggested so far.

Except that Valenti... just can't imagine you holding it!

i guess you could say that i have offically owned too much equipment :)

out of my current basses the only tone i can't get is the jazz thing. i'm putting together a pbass with a humbucker in the bridge behind the p pickup and the only thing i've been using the ripper for are the p-tones it does. so.... when the project bass gets done i just don't see me using the ripper anymore.

but by that line of thinking the p bass would cover the tones i would use the l2k for as well :)

so maybe i should be looking at jazzes

** edit***

i was just making a snack and thinking about it. and as much as i hate to admit i may actually need to buy an active/passive jazzish bass.all my basses get used to test circuits and i really should have both an active and a jazz to test things with.

• Members

well, the only thing with the l2k i didn't dig was the unfinished neck (i lacquered the last one) and the electronics were pretty straightforward.i don't remember mine being overly hissy though.

i think you may be right. i might just go with another l2k and tweak it accordingly.

I had an L2500 and it was noisy as hell. I opened up the cavity and it looked like a cat exploded. Mine had the satin finish which was killer. I think the L2k is the bass to beat in it's price range. I don't care for the 5 string but the 4 is just an amazing instrument on every level.

Dan

• Members

I had an L2500 and it was noisy as hell. I opened up the cavity and it looked like a cat exploded. Mine had the satin finish which was killer. I think the L2k is the bass to beat in it's price range. I don't care for the 5 string but the 4 is just an amazing instrument on every level.

Dan

i've read the noise complaints that alot of guys had with em. but no one seemed to be able to say what exactly it was that was causing it.maybe i should get a noisy on on purpose and do some investigatin' :)

• Members

Well it's the pickups but I don't know how you would fix it bar replaceing them, (thats what I read in a UK bass player magazine anyway).

there was a thread over at that other place that i read (can't find it now though:rolleyes:) that suggested that they used a substandard op amp in the preamp that was making it look like it was a pickup issue.there also seemed to be a rash of bad volume pots there for a while too.

damn now i'm wanting a broken g&l ???:rolleyes:

Archived