Calling Guitar Center insiders to the neon pink phone

Brother Mango

• Members

What's the best way to play this, and what's reasonable to expect?

The local GC has a used Ibanez GAXB150 for $150.

They retail brand new for $170.

How far down might GC go on the price, and what's my best strategy?

I need to pay as little as possible because this bass is going to experience major modification.

• Members

Not an insider, but my advice is talk to a manager first and exclusively.

They have the most pricing disrcetion and will get to the bottom line quickest.

I've found Guitar Center to be VERY accommodating when it comes time to haggle.

I never pay more than 50% to 70% of new on used stuff, so $120 would be TOP DOLLAR for me.

I'd be much happier at $85, though that's pretty unlikely.

If I owned it, I'd expect to sell it for $85.

• Members

In a previous thread it was mentioned that GC has a 20% margin to work with on most items, substantially less on some others like mesa for instance.

Just try your luck, I would just go in and noodle on it until a shop attendant comes up and speaks to you and say something along the lines of I want it but i'm not currently in the market for a new bass... so what is the best deal you can do for me. If he is smart enough to detect your false display of indecision, and dumb enough to fall for it, he might try and sweeten it for you just to push you over the edge so to speak.

You are however bartering on a bass that isn't substantial in value, so they might only be able to knock 10 bucks off...

• Members

I usually find they are very workable?

Well, depends entirely upon what the 'minimum' price is set at. The salesmen who purchases the item sets a minimum price at the point of purchase. A lot of the pro audio stuff that I sold when i worked there had a very small margin, so the area in which you could bargain was pretty slight.

• Members

Thanks to all!!!!! Here's the update:

I called and asked to speak with a manager. I dropped in the fact that I've purchased and Alembic and an OLP from that store (don't know if that helped my case, or not).

I mentioned that the used price of $150 was close to the standard retail price of $170.

He offered $100 out-the-door.

COOL! I was there an hour later, walking out with the bass.

Again, thanks for all the good advice!!!

• Members

Thanks to all!!!!! Here's the update:

I called and asked to speak with a manager. I dropped in the fact that I've purchased and Alembic and an OLP from that store (don't know if that helped my case, or not).

I mentioned that the used price of $150 was close to the standard retail price of $170.

He offered $100 out-the-door.

COOL! I was there an hour later, walking out with the bass.

Again, thanks for all the good advice!!!

Sweet! :rawk:

• Members

Well, depends entirely upon what the 'minimum' price is set at. The salesmen who purchases the item sets a minimum price at the point of purchase. A lot of the pro audio stuff that I sold when i worked there had a very small margin, so the area in which you could bargain was pretty slight.

Well he got his bass for 33% off what it was advertised for, that should give you a good indicator.

I got just over 10% knocked off my sandberg and a fair few free bits chucked in, prices are usually very workable like I say.

However I have relatively limited experience of bartering in shops because I prefer to buy second hand, usually that means private sales.

Archived