OT: Cool Deep Space Image

hawkhuff

• Members

Explanation: This wide, sharp telescopic view reveals galaxies scattered beyond the stars near the northern boundary of the high-flying constellation Pegasus. Prominent at the upper right is NGC 7331. A mere 50 million light-years away, the large spiral is one of the brighter galaxies not included in Charles Messier's famous 18th century catalog. The disturbed looking group of galaxies at the lower left is well-known as Stephan's Quintet. About 300 million light-years distant, the quintet dramatically illustrates a multiple galaxy collision, its powerful, ongoing interactions posed for a brief cosmic snapshot. On the sky, the quintet and NGC 7331 are separated by about half a degree.

NGC7331-hager800.jpg

• Members

DS9.jpg

I kept reading the topic as "cool deep space nine image" and had to force myself to look at it word for word to see if that's what it really said.

Awesome picture though, I love Astronomy stuff. I can't wait to get my telescope; I've been drooling over getting one since I was like 10! /points to 7 years of back-issued astronomy mag

Archived